Quantcast

E13 reducer cups... agian

Yeti DHer

I post here but I'm still better than you
Sep 7, 2001
The Foothills
After reading a couple threads I'm really confused. What exactly do I need for the headset and cups to work. In previous threads people of talked about taking peices from this and that and putting it together. I just want to know what I need to make it work on a singlecrown fork on my slalom bike.

Thanks!

Chris

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
ska todd said:
you need any IS standard internal headset (FSA or Cane Creek).

-ska todd
Word.

And then you can decide if you need the reducer cups on the top AND bottom or just one side. I use'em just on the top to lower my stem. Others use both to lower the ride height AND stem height. Screw it. Just buy hopes.

Fulton

Monkey
Nov 9, 2001
Cane Creek Solos IS, IS-6, or IS-2
FSA Orbit 1

You want integrated headsets, not Zero Stack headsets

Fulton

Monkey
Nov 9, 2001
Also, FSA is now making a reducer that will let you use any standard 1 1/8 headset, ala chris king..........

Fulton

Monkey
Nov 9, 2001
I'm not sure if it's available yet, I've got their 05 product catalog here, should be cheap, maybe $20 retail

Toshi

butthole powerwashing evangelist
Oct 23, 2001
Fulton said:
let me see if i can get some more info for ya
please do provide this info. i :heart: chris king, and if i could keep mine on my evil while reducing the stack height...

in the trees

Turbo Monkey
May 19, 2003
NH
I called up Cane Creek and just ordered a pair of bearings, a compression ring, and a crown race separately. I think it was about $26 shipped. Probably one of the cheaper ways to do it. However, I'm still questioning the bearing and crown race interface - there's a small gap between them that I don't quite trust. I may be just using the top reducer anyway.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
The reducer that lets you use 1 1/8" headsets has been around for a while... I thought it was an FSA reducer too - a bunch of people have one on their Evil. At least one guy who posts on here has one on his Iron Horse.

But it's not the same as the E.13 reducer cups. The E.13 reducer cups are not really "reducer cups" that another cup gets pressed into - they are actually headset bearing cups. That, to me, is a much cleaner solution than pressing a reducer into a headtube, and a bearing cup into that. Seems, to me, like one more thing to creak.

Acadian

Born Again Newbie
Sep 5, 2001
Blah Blah and Blah
in the trees said:
However, I'm still questioning the bearing and crown race interface - there's a small gap between them that I don't quite trust. I may be just using the top reducer anyway.
I wouldn't worry about it...mine also had a little gap.

SuspectDevice

Turbo Monkey
Aug 23, 2002
Roanoke, VA
Don't forget, you can use Campy Hiddenset bearings as well... Depending on what your shop looks like, they can be the most common IS internal bearings.

DßR

They saw my bloomers
Feb 17, 2004
the DC
binary visions said:
The reducer that lets you use 1 1/8" headsets has been around for a while... I thought it was an FSA reducer too - a bunch of people have one on their Evil. At least one guy who posts on here has one on his Iron Horse.

But it's not the same as the E.13 reducer cups. The E.13 reducer cups are not really "reducer cups" that another cup gets pressed into - they are actually headset bearing cups. That, to me, is a much cleaner solution than pressing a reducer into a headtube, and a bearing cup into that. Seems, to me, like one more thing to creak.
yeah, I've had one of those on my Imperial for over a year... nothing new. They add about 6mm to the stack height of a normal headset though -- so those looking to reduce stack height from big-ass XXC are SOL. King + FSA reducers = XXC height (38 or so mm). If you don't care about stack height though, and just want to run a King in a 1.5, it works great.

ska todd

Turbo Monkey
Oct 10, 2001
SuspectDevice said:
Don't forget, you can use Campy Hiddenset bearings as well... Depending on what your shop looks like, they can be the most common IS internal bearings.
I do believe the IS standard used by FSA and Cane Creek is different than the Campy integrated headset. However, a Campy HS on my DH bike would be cherry :heart:

-ska todd

greenreese

Monkey
Nov 11, 2003
ska todd said:
I do believe the IS standard used by FSA and Cane Creek is different than the Campy integrated headset. However, a Campy HS on my DH bike would be cherry :heart:

-ska todd
Would the campy still work?

-dAn

Yeti DHer

I post here but I'm still better than you
Sep 7, 2001
The Foothills
DßR said:
If you don't care about stack height though, and just want to run a King in a 1.5, it works great.

Thats exactly what I want to do now. My XXC is not that great, but I don't want to make my front end lower, I'd just rather run a normal headset. So these fsa reducers are available right now?

SuspectDevice

Turbo Monkey
Aug 23, 2002
Roanoke, VA
Are you sure about that Todd? Cannondale has started shipping their lower-end frames with Ritchey and Fsa HS's, and I was under the impression that the Campy Hiddenset "standard" was the same as the IS standard, and that ZS (ala GT and Scwinn) was the odd man out?

DßR

They saw my bloomers
Feb 17, 2004
the DC
Yeti DHer said:
Thats exactly what I want to do now. My XXC is not that great, but I don't want to make my front end lower, I'd just rather run a normal headset. So these fsa reducers are available right now?
Yeah, you can get those now. They look just like this:
http://aebike.com/site/page.cfm?PageID=30&SKU=HD9904

I couldn't find the FSA's anywhere but I have a set, so they're definitely on the market...

Acadian

Born Again Newbie
Sep 5, 2001
Blah Blah and Blah
SuspectDevice said:
Are you sure about that Todd? Cannondale has started shipping their lower-end frames with Ritchey and Fsa HS's, and I was under the impression that the Campy Hiddenset "standard" was the same as the IS standard, and that ZS (ala GT and Scwinn) was the odd man out?
yoohooo Mr. Weagle
look here Dave..yhoohoo... :p

ska todd

Turbo Monkey
Oct 10, 2001
SuspectDevice said:
From the FSA "Complete Headset Reference Guide: Version 7, March 2004"

pg 4 - "3. I have chosen to design my frame to use an integrated headset, but now I understand there are at least four different sizes/styles of integrated headset. What systems are available and what are the differences?

Answer: The four integrated size standards available are:
- TH System which uses 36/36 bearings
- Cane Creek System which uses 36/45 bearings
- Campagnolo System which uses 45/45 bearings
- Insert Ring System which uses 36/45 bearings"

It all gets confusing because FSA makes integrated headsets that fit each of the above "size standards" in addition to the ZS standard.

IS standard = 36/45 bearings pressed directly into the frame
ZS standard = 36/45 bearings inserted in cups that press into the frame and sit relatively flush to the HT.

Road bikes (and e13 cups) typically use IS standard.

Cannondale road bikes, some BMX frames, and Euro road frames typically use Campy standard.

Iron Horse, Giant, B1, GT, Schwinn and others use Zero Stack standard on their XC and trail bikes.

-ska todd

Toshi

butthole powerwashing evangelist
Oct 23, 2001
DßR said:
yeah, I've had one of those on my Imperial for over a year... nothing new. They add about 6mm to the stack height of a normal headset though -- so those looking to reduce stack height from big-ass XXC are SOL. King + FSA reducers = XXC height (38 or so mm). If you don't care about stack height though, and just want to run a King in a 1.5, it works great.
oh, lame. so it's just another version of the reducer cups i have in my imp. tall (but strong) head tube + reducers + king == too tall, poor me :D

Repack

Turbo Monkey
Nov 29, 2001
Boston Area
binary visions said:
Thank you. I was just about to say that. Having installed the e13's, I don't see how using the FSA adapter + standard headset would get you any sort of reduction on ride height. seems like things would stay the same, or things might even get raised. A CC Double Xc style headset seems like a better solution. Fewer parts and bigger bearings, but King will always be the shiz.

dexter

Turbo Monkey
Sep 23, 2001
Boise, Idaho
maby this new fsa thing is a set of reducer cups that are machined out to 1 1/8 on the inside so the headest actually sits inside the headtube partially therefore creating a lower stack height?? just a thought someone should make this the only rpoblem is that the lower race would have to be able to clear the headtube lower section and the knobs on the fork

Hate to resurrect this thread, but I'm STILL confused :confused:

So, where does CHRIS KING's Perdido headset come into play on all this? Can this be used in 1.5 headtubes?

I currently have a Gemini with reducer cups that allow you to press in a 1-1/8" headset. Want to somehow use a headset that has bearings to accomodate 1-1/8 steertube. So far from reading this thread it seems my only options are an XXc headset or E13 cups with zero stack bearings?

Kornphlake

Turbo Monkey
Oct 8, 2002
Portland, OR
the perdidio headset won't work, well it will but not the way you'd want it to... The idea of zero stack headsets is you don't have a cup that the bearings press into rather they press directly into the frame and bottom on a step in the frame. CK decided that this wasn't good enough so they made a sleeve you press into your frame, this headset will only fit a 1.125 headtube, not a zerostack compatible heatube which has a slightly different ID. The bearings then rest inside the sleeve so its a kind of hidden headset but not a true zero stack because the lip on the sleeve actually sits outside of the headtube and because of the sleeve. I believe that the OD of zerostack bearings is smaller than the OD of a standard 1.125 headset cup. The E13 reducer cups are made to hold zerostack bearings with their specific OD, you won't be able to put just any ol' headset in there because it won't fit, I don't think the CK bearings are the same as Cane Creek or FSA zerostack bearings.

It's just too bad this never panned out. From the 1.5 website.

Headset.
Chris King will offer a ONE POINT FIVE headset during Summer 2002. This headset will feature aluminum cups with a one inch deep cup skirt (just like our current steelset) Our anticipated MSRP is $160. If you want to get your name on the list, we are accepting advanced orders now. Contact your local bike shop.

King Cycle Group3595 Iron CourtShasta Lake, CA 96019(530) 275 7600fax (530) 275 7601info@chrisking.com

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
Over your shoulder whispering
Cane Creek actually makes a headset that Joe sent me a photo of but that I can't seem to find on their site right now. It's the Double XC BUT with ultra low profile upper cup and bearings that are virtually flush. The lower cups is the normal Double XC size. It essentially concedes that the lower cup takes the brunt of stress....it looks great. I'll get him to send a photo. It definitely allows you to get your stem and bars back down low. If you check their site and see the IS headsets, you'll notice they have some headsets with low profile upper caps. Here is an example: Basicly picture the upper cap of the first one mated to the lower cups of the Double XC :sneaky:

dh-kevin-dh

Chimp
Jul 3, 2009
soooooooo

could i use a cane creek 110 IS with the cups?

and also, whats the max insert length i can have?
ie: 41.0mm,44.0mm,etc

PhilipW

Monkey
Mar 13, 2007
Leominster, MA
soooooooo

could i use a cane creek 110 IS with the cups?

and also, whats the max insert length i can have?
ie: 41.0mm,44.0mm,etc
You should be able to with the 110 IS, although the added benefits would be negligible over somthing like the Cane Creek IS-3 (unless you really want ano'd colors).

For our ZeroStack cups, you press them into the headtube firstly. Then you press the 41mm OD 36/45 deg bearings press directly into the cups.

http://www.canecreek.com/component-headsets?product=110-IS

http://www.canecreek.com/manuals/Headset_Instructions/110/110_IS_Instructions.pdf

If you have other questions, feel free to email me: philipw@e13components.com

Cheers,
philip

dh-kevin-dh

Chimp
Jul 3, 2009
You should be able to with the 110 IS, although the added benefits would be negligible over somthing like the Cane Creek IS-3 (unless you really want ano'd colors).

For our ZeroStack cups, you press them into the headtube firstly. Then you press the 41mm OD 36/45 deg bearings press directly into the cups.

http://www.canecreek.com/component-headsets?product=110-IS

http://www.canecreek.com/manuals/Headset_Instructions/110/110_IS_Instructions.pdf

If you have other questions, feel free to email me: philipw@e13components.com

Cheers,
philip

thank very much sir, thanks for the response on pinkbike as well

so you are saying that it should work....