Quantcast

E13 Zerostack bearing removal

IH8Rice

I'm Mr. Negative! I Fail!
Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
xpost from the Shop...the DH forum gets more traffic

the title says it all.
ive never taken out pressed in bearings before and the old Cane Creek bearings in my E13 Zerostack are shot. new bearings from Cane Creek are only $10/each.

im sure i can pry them out and destroy them, but is there a trick to getting them out in one piece?

buildyourown

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2004
South Seattle
You can try tapping them out. If they pop apart, you have to grind a notch or 2 in the cup to get a drift punch on the fixed race.
IIRC the new ones have said notch.

IH8Rice

Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
So, you aren't talking about the E-13 reducer cups and Cane Creek IS-2 headset bearings?
and the old Cane Creek bearings in my E13 Zerostack are shot.
You can try tapping them out. If they pop apart, you have to grind a notch or 2 in the cup to get a drift punch on the fixed race.
IIRC the new ones have said notch.
i see the new ones have holes in them for this reason (im assuming)
i dont have a grinder handy, but if they fall apart them im sure it wont be a problem to get them out.
i was hoping for a easy way to keep them intact in case i ever need to do so

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
It's a little hard to get them out intact with the old ones without the grooves. I bat about .500 on mine. Just be really careful tapping them out, go slow, and work your way around with a drift punch. I've tried the Park headset removal tool too, the flared out pipe, but that didn't really work any better in this case.

IH8Rice

Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
yeah, getting these bitches out is a PITA without the relief holes the new ones come with.
i drilled two holes similar to the new style cups and was able to get the old bearing out, although i destroyed it...no biggie.
thankfully only one needed to come out