Quantcast

early 2000's z-1 help.

t1maglio

Monkey
Oct 29, 2001
southern wisconsin
I had an older Z-1 from maybe the early 2000's. I sold it to a guy in Bulgaria and he is refurbing it to use. Apparently the rebound adjuster which is on the bottom of the fork was broken (ie snapped off) so the adjuster knob is gone. I never used the adjustments, I just slapped it on and rode it.

My question is does anyone know where I could help him find one of those rods/knobs. Apparently pickings are a little slim in his neck of the woods.

IH8Rice

I'm Mr. Negative! I Fail!
Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
I had an older Z-1 from maybe the early 2000's. I sold it to a guy in Bulgaria and he is refurbing it to use. Apparently the rebound adjuster which is on the bottom of the fork was broken (ie snapped off) so the adjuster knob is gone. I never used the adjustments, I just slapped it on and rode it.

My question is does anyone know where I could help him find one of those rods/knobs. Apparently pickings are a little slim in his neck of the woods.
you rode it without adjusting rebound at all?

and getting parts for that will be almost impossible i think. most companies dont make replacement parts for a product that is that old.
is it just the adjuster knob? can he use a pair of pliers to set and forget it?

t1maglio

Monkey
Oct 29, 2001
southern wisconsin
Ya, it was probably one of those adjust once and let it go for the rest of its life sort of things. I suggested he try the pliers thing as well. Other then that, I'm at a loss as well.

IH8Rice

I'm Mr. Negative! I Fail!
Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
Ya, it was probably one of those adjust once and let it go for the rest of its life sort of things. I suggested he try the pliers thing as well. Other then that, I'm at a loss as well.
oh well, his problem now....on the other side of the world.

my guess is that one of the footnuts is lost and that he is mistaking the threaded end of the damper rod as a rebound adjustment with a missing knob. i've lost a footnut or two in my years, so this sounds like what is happening to me...

(edit: i have also seen the threaded ends broken off a broken damper rod or two as well. get a picture if you can)

Last edited:
the hex end of the rod is the adjusting end. it is threaded on the inside and a cap slips over the end mating up with the hex shape then a little grub screw threads into the end holding the plastic cap on the end. should be less than $10 from marzocchi...

(edit: upon further inspection of the picture, i'm a little confused. is he holding 2 pieces in his hand or a badly mis-shapen one?)

Bulldog

Turbo Monkey
Sep 11, 2001
Wisconsin
For clarification, I believe you had a Z3, simple ported damper version right Jon? I think they later became known as a Z1 Drop Off?

t1maglio

Monkey
Oct 29, 2001
southern wisconsin
Lol, Tony, I don't work at a shop and I have top of the line stuff, do you really think when I worked at Michael's I would have had a 3? ;-)

It was the top of the line Z-1 that year, that technology definitely became a lesser fork, but for its time that was the best you could get.