Quantcast

Early AM rides, harder on the system?

golgiaparatus

Out of my element
Aug 30, 2002
Deep in the Jungles of Oklahoma
Ugh. Been doing early AM rides 5:30-7:00 about 3 times a week. I do about 35 miles give or take a few at a moderate pace. But by 10:00 my legs feel like they have 50+ hard miles in them.

The only thing I cant think of is that I don't have much in the way of food in my system when I hit the road. for PM rides I'll have had breakfast and lunch hours before the ride... but at 5:30AM I only have a bowl of oatmeal, or maybe a cliff bar and a gu (if I'm running behind), just minutes before the ride starts.

I'm doing this because of a scheduling conflict in the afternoons... but is there any benefit of riding like this a few times a week?

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Your breakfast probably hasn't been digested and is not available as fuel that early. I usually need two good meals before I can ride well.

-BB-

I broke all the rules, but somehow still became mo
Sep 6, 2001
Livin it up in the O.C.
You'll perform worse, which explains why you feel ****ty later- you have to push harder for the same performance, but you burn more fat. http://www.usatoday.com/news/health/2010-06-04-eating-exercise_N.htm
I agree... Or have heard similar claims at least. I've even heard that to maximize the fat burn, have a cup of black coffee first, don't eat and then go work out. The body will produce more Ketones, or go into ketosis faster. Kind of like a short-term Atkins diet. Yeah, performance will suffer, but if you are just out there to have fun or train, then F-it, who cares. You will end up in better shape IMO. :thumb:

http://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/180858.php

I do it primarily bc if I eat before the morning ride then I feel like I'm gonna puke on the first climb.

ire

Turbo Monkey
Aug 6, 2007
Do you drink less coffee on the days you get up early? On average I get up at five, but twice a week I get up at three to ride before work. I don't find that my performance suffers, but I drink ample coffee and I like mornings.

golgiaparatus

Out of my element
Aug 30, 2002
Do you drink less coffee on the days you get up early? On average I get up at five, but twice a week I get up at three to ride before work. I don't find that my performance suffers, but I drink ample coffee and I like mornings.
I usually drink coffee once I get to work. Not before the ride... maybe I should preempt the ride with some coffee?

golgiaparatus

Out of my element
Aug 30, 2002
Went with lots of coffee this AM. Seemed to fuel me pretty good while my body soaked up the granola and Hammer Gel. Did 12 miles of singletrack on the SS. Wish I had more time, I would have happily done another 12... but alas, had to go to work.

Anyway, coffee... good call :)

Silver

find me a tampon
Jul 20, 2002
Orange County, CA
I have to be careful with the coffee on early am rides. I even think of a sip of coffee in the morning, and I feel the need for a sudden...um...movement.

ire

Turbo Monkey
Aug 6, 2007
I have to be careful with the coffee on early am rides. I even think of a sip of coffee in the morning, and I feel the need for a sudden...um...movement.
:rofl:

You have to plan appropriately so the movement is done before the ride!

spam16v

Monkey
Oct 27, 2004
Buffalo, NY
I only ride early, I get up at ~5am weekdays, I do 2 spin classes @ 5:30 & 8:30am on Monday and Wednesdays with an outdoor run between, either lift or ride the rest of the week. I usually do a group ride thursday evening and I prefer to ride early. Saturdays I try to ride with a friend and we put in around 6ish for 30-50miles depending if I'm teaching on the weekends. If the weather sucks (real real wet) I'll do a double endurance spin on saturdays for 2 hours.

As far as eating, I generally don't eat before my first spin, but I'll make a shake before a ride; half a cup or so of frozen strawberries, sometimes a banana, 1 or 2 scoops of ON Gold Std whey isolate bend, little bit of oats if I'm real hungry, drip or two of honey and water blended. Before spin if I feel hungry, I'll just stick a plastic spoon in the peanut butter and have one spoonful on the ride to the gym (5min) to take the edge off.