Quantcast

Early Impressions - Conti Rain Kings

ZHendo

Turbo Monkey
Oct 29, 2006
PNW
Given that there doesn't seem to be too much info out there on the newer Conti DH tires, I thought I'd throw up a brief review of the Rain Kings that I got recently.

I went from Minion DHF 3Cs to a Specialized Chunder SX out back and a Clutch SX up front. After moving up to Seattle from the SF Bay area for school, I found that the Specialized tires were packing up a bit easily. Once they were worn enough to justify replacing, I used an Amazon giftcard I had sitting around to buy a set of Rain Kings.

The tires were a breeze to mount up on 721s and initial impressions of the quality are very good. They just seems really well made and solid.The tire is light for the size and apparent thickness of the casing, which I'm assuming is due to a high thread count. They're a high volume tire with a pretty open tread design, but I don't know that I'd use them as a mud tire for sloppy conditions. The tire simply wouldn't measure up to a Wet Scream or something similar for the really nasty stuff.

The riding I've been doing since getting the tire hasn't been particularly crazy, but it has given me a decent idea of what the tire is capable of. The open tread doesn't roll fast despite the ramped front edge of the center knobs, but it clears incredibly well. The mold release that Conti uses is a little slick, and I was a little concerned as I was pedaling to the trailhead as the tire was slipping around a bit excessively on roots. Once I got moving, the benefits of the tire really started to show. The compound is insanely soft, and I've never ridden a tire that sticks to roots and slick rocks like this thing does. I took it easy at first, but I was hitting wet corners harder than I ever have after a few runs. The constant grip instills confidence in all situations, and no matter how gooey the mud got I couldn't get the tire to pack up. It doesn't dig in like a true mud tread would, but for Washington riding and wet rather than truly muddy conditions, it seems perfect so far. Hardpack is a little rough because of the slower rolling nature of the tread, but on everything from intermediate to wet I haven't been able to find fault in the tire yet. I've had a few sharp rocks and trail debris bounce off the sidewall with no noticeable damage, and the tread is wearing much better than my Minion 3Cs did.

If you can justify the price (which is really not that much more than Maxxis anymore), these tires are rad. I'm thinking I might try the Kaiser once things start drying out more.

Steve M

Turbo Monkey
Mar 3, 2007
Whistler
Nice write up. The Kaiser is one of the tyres I've definitely been very interested in lately, let us know if you get a chance to ride one of those too.

norbar

KESSLER PROBLEM. Just cause
Jun 7, 2007
Warsaw :/
Are they UST ready? Because I think other contis are but I haven't found any info on them or kaisers. Would be a good to see more tires go this way besides maxxis, schwable and michy.

Muerto

Chimp
Oct 30, 2009
Sweden
Good info!

Has anyone ridden both the Kaiser and the Rain King? How do they compare?

I'm currently running Kaisers when it isn't muddy enough for Wetscreams but maybe getting a tyre for wet conditions would be a good thing... (At least it might do good for me mentally...)

ZHendo

Turbo Monkey
Oct 29, 2006
PNW
I have no idea if they're UST ready, I haven't seen anything confirming that they are.

I was going to get Wet Screams before I picked these up, but rather than cutting down Wet Screams I decided to spend about as much money on a tire I was a little curious about. They'll never be a substitute for a spike, but they're much more versatile and really all I could ever imagine needing in most of the riding I've done in California, Washington, BC...

davec113

Monkey
May 24, 2009
I'm running the Rubber Queen 2.4s on my trail bike, they grip better than most dh tires, they roll fast and wear slow... I'm definitely getting a set of Der Kaisers for the dh bike.

steelforeel

Chimp
Dec 2, 2009
I've been riding both on the kaisers and on the raing kings for a good bit. The rain kings are very good intermediate tires. I'd pretty much agree all that ZHendo said about them. Good tires to have on for autumn/spring when the conditions tend to change a lot as they aren't too bad on the dry/hardpack either.

The Kaisers then. Really like them as a dry to little moisture condition tires. Previously (for 5 years) I was riding 40a Minion F and Highroller combo but once I tried the Kaisers there's no going back really. A bit more aggressive thread and wider profile makes the Contis hook up much better in corners without sacrifycing for rolling resistance at all. They also wear much slower than Maxxis. After about 15-20 days of lift acessed riding my front tire looks like new and rear tire has very little wear.

Last edited:

Pslide

Turbo Monkey
Great review.

I've heard word from a certain WC team that were running Conti's (and some blacked out Maxxis) this season was that they were a bit too slow rolling, as you mentioned, and working with Conti to improve the rolling resistance.

leprechaun

Turbo Monkey
Apr 17, 2004
SLC,Ut
The rubber compound is interesting, they don't seem to like to publish durometer, they say the Black Chili compound is softer, rolls faster and is better wearing than anything they've made before. i squeezed one a few months back and they feel soft, the knobs are so tall that helps them feels softer than they are. 45d?

They use this black chili stuff on their road tires as well so who knows. It's the carbon content but maybe black chili is a general term and different tires actually use different compounds.

At 1000g are they worthy of fighting off pinch flats???

Dogboy

Turbo Monkey
Apr 12, 2004
Durham, NC
Kaizer 1000g
That weight (from their website I realize) isn't accurate. I don't recall the exact weight, but they were about 100g lighter than a 2.5 3C Minion DHF. I've been impressed with them. They wear great, grip great in most conditions (not pure slop), and the casing seems plenty pinch flat resistant - I ran mine down to 29psi rear/27psi front. The volume is much bigger than a Maxxis Minion - the 2.5 Kaiser is like a 2.7 Minion. I wouldn't mind seeing a slightly smaller/lighter (call it a 2.35) version.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
Hmmm I might have to pick some of these up after the awfully rainy season we had this year. The minions grip well in the wet but I'd love a dedicated grippy tire for rain but not slop conditions...I don't see too much of that in my travels.

ZHendo

Turbo Monkey
Oct 29, 2006
PNW
Update to my review. I rode some real steep techy stuff today compared to the "jumpier" trails I had been riding before and the tires continue to impress. It was right around 34 degrees so the dirt road up to the trailhead was frozen, and once under the trees the dirt was just wet and a little thicker because of the cold. The tires still didn't pack up and provided insane braking grip over roots, rocks and just flat out steep stuff. The cornering ability of the tires is really starting to blow my mind, they just seem to get better as I ride them a bit more.

I almost killed myself because I went to lay my bike sideways into a super tight corner following a drop, and the tires refused to break loose like my Specializeds used to. I ended up overshooting the corner because it was too tight to just turn into. However, this may have been attributable to the really thick mud that was a result of the freezing temps from the night before.

sethimus

neu bizutch
Feb 5, 2006
not in Whistler anymore :/
That weight (from their website I realize) isn't accurate. I don't recall the exact weight, but they were about 100g lighter than a 2.5 3C Minion DHF. I've been impressed with them. They wear great, grip great in most conditions (not pure slop), and the casing seems plenty pinch flat resistant - I ran mine down to 29psi rear/27psi front. The volume is much bigger than a Maxxis Minion - the 2.5 Kaiser is like a 2.7 Minion. I wouldn't mind seeing a slightly smaller/lighter (call it a 2.35) version.
the german conti site has the real weights:

http://www.conti-online.com/generator/www/de/de/continental/fahrrad/themen/mtb/downhill_freeride/kaiser/derkaiser_de.html

both downhill tires weigh 1250g

Racebike

Monkey
Jul 28, 2008
Sweden
Yeah that weight sounds more like the truth, I weighed the set of Kaisers I got, and they were 1245g-1263g.

I really like them as well, somewhere between a Minion DHF and a High Roller grip wise.

Agreeing with Dogboy about the size, they look huge. But on the other hand they work well in this size, would be cool to test a slightly skinnier version though.

Wear is good (slow) but maybe slightly more prone to punctures compared to dualply Maxxis 2,5".

Hopefully the weight saving will offset the slightly slower rolling. :)

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
Are there any options for these? I looked into them last night, some places had them listed as kevlar, others as tri-ply, some as folding, but they all seemed to have the same specs- 950g and 2.5" wide. The website only shows wire bead.

Uncle Cliffy

Turbo Monkey
Jan 28, 2008
Southern Oregon
Are they UST ready? Because I think other contis are but I haven't found any info on them or kaisers. Would be a good to see more tires go this way besides maxxis, schwable and michy.
They aren't a UST tire, but I'm running a Kaiser tubeless on 823's... Takes a couple rides for the Stans to seal the bead completely, but that's it. It mounted up easily too.