Quantcast

Early Morning Rides

bdamschen

Turbo Monkey
Nov 28, 2005
Spreckels, CA
We've got a guy in our group who claims we are getting up way to early when we meet for a 9:00am ride. Most of the time we're about 15-20 mins away from the trail heads we drive to, so we're leaving the house by about 8:40 am. Our buddy claims that we would all have a better ride if we went out later. Sooooooo...

What time do you guys ride on the weekends? How long are your rides usually? What time do you have to get up? Does it suck?

amateur

Turbo Monkey
Apr 18, 2002
Orange County
Depending on what sort of riding and where, I'll be there anywhere between 7am and 9am. I refuse to get up anytthing earlier than 5:45am, but if I'm riding road, I'm usually on the bike by 6...

geargrrl

Turbo Monkey
May 2, 2002
pnw -dry side
When it's hot here in the summer, I meet my friends for 6 am rides. It's really still and pretty at that time of day, before it heats up to 90+.

geargrrl

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
There are two factors in going early: temperature and crowds.

As the summer rolls on, I am going to try to push for 8am rides, to accomodate both.

It looks like Monterey is a little cooler than the places I ride, so maybe it is not such a big deal.

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
BS reminds me though:

The easiest drive from SF is Skeggs Pt. If I am real lazy, I will go there at Sundays 3pm. I see plenty of SF freakazoids then.

NapalmCheese

Monkey
May 16, 2006
Los Gatos
So, I'm the lazy bastard that doesn't want to get up early to go for a bike ride.

You early morning people are freaks.

First off, I plan on being plenty hung over Sunday morning.
Secondly, bdamschen I hate you for never getting hung over (I used to be that way when I was your age you whipper snapper).
Thirdly, we're riding in (well near) Monterey where it just doesn't get that hot.
I say let people sleep off the booze. Hell, you're looking at a guy that took a job where he wouldn't have to wake up early!

You know, you could be super manly and go for two rides that day... ;)

hooples3

Fuggetaboutit!
Mar 14, 2005
Brooklyn
I prefer getting to the trail head by 8 am ish.. esp in the summertime siunce the temp is a little cooler.. usually its a 1 hr drive so we will meet up by 6:45.
we will usually ride for about 3hrs depending which trails we hit

.:Jeenyus:.

Turbo Monkey
Feb 23, 2004
slc
Anything in town = start at 9 by latest.

Trails can be hit up whenever, as it's usually not too hot in the woods.

chuffer

Turbo Monkey
Sep 2, 2004
McMinnville, OR
holy shit. i cant believe all the early risers. i can barely tie my shoes or remember my own name before noon on most days. how can you guys actually do any type of activity that requires coordination so late at night?

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
In theory I like the early morning ride but I have found that I need to eat a lot to get a good long ride in. If I get little more than a big bowl of cereal for breakfast I have to spend 15 minutes eating for every hour I ride. Anymore it seems my life revolves around eating in preparation for riding.

Mudpuppy

Monkey
Oct 20, 2001
Port Orchard/Not WSU
I start whenever. Usually if I was planning a ride and meeting up ahead of time I might leave at 10:00am or so. But honestly. I usually ride in the afternoon or evenings. The trails aren't that crowded here, and it doesn't usually get too hot. I'm not afraid of sweat anyway....:rolleyes:

laura

DH_Laura
Jul 16, 2002
Glitter Gulch
9am is not early. My morning runs usually begin around 4.45. I don't ride in the morning, but if i did it would be way before 9.

douglas

Chocolate Milk Doug
May 15, 2002
Shut up and Ride
it all depends on the ride...could be as early as 5:30am, could be 11:59am (I guess naything later wouldnt be a morning ride, eh?)

I am 100% sure if you name any time of day, I have in the past been on my bike at that time.

jacksonpt

Turbo Monkey
Jul 22, 2002
Vestal, NY
It depends on a whole lot of things. Generally I ride in the afternoons (while my kids are napping), or around 10am or so. But I have been know to be up before the sun rises to be on the trail at the first sign of good daylight.

This pic was taken last summer (sunrise) before a 4 hour solo ride.

Heidi

Der hund ist laut und braun
Aug 22, 2001
Bend, Oregon
On the weekends I usually like to start around 9 and go for 3 or 4 hours. I don't mind heat at all though.

Wumpus

makes avatars better
Dec 25, 2003
Six Shooter Junction
Depends on the time of year and temperature. I like early morning rides in the summer and later morning rides in the winter if it is really cold.

pixelninja

Turbo Monkey
Jun 14, 2003
Denver, CO
NapalmCheese said:
You early morning people are freaks.
You do what you got to do, if its something you love. I've got 2 kids under the age of 3, and a wife that works evenings and on the weekends, and a old house that always needs work. The luxury of sleeping in left me a long time ago. I take my riding time when I can get it.

http://www.ridemonkey.com/forums/showthread.php?t=150346

For the occational weekend ride that I'm able to squeeze in, we usually try to be on the trail by 9-10. Earlier if possible, because along the front range, summer afternoon thunderstorms are common place.