Quantcast

early morning workouts on an empty stomach

jacksonpt

Turbo Monkey
Jul 22, 2002
Vestal, NY
Seems to be a lot of debate on this one...

The only time I have to work out is first thing in the morning before work (6-7am). I've read several articles claiming that empty stomach workouts burn the most fat. Last night I was at my vitamin shop getting some protein and I got talking to one of the guys there who really knows his stuff. He was of the opinion that working out on an empty stomach was a bad thing, that you body will burn more protein and less fat if you go right from your bed to the gym.

Thoughts? If you promote eating before a workout, what types of things should I eat? I was thinking about a piece of toast and some natural peanut butter, saving my protein shake for after the workout.

Serial Midget

Al Bundy
Jun 25, 2002
Fort of Rio Grande
I think there are too many variables to say one is right and one is wrong. If I am doing a short intense effort, like a 10K, I will not eat anything because I'll likely just puke it back up. If I am going longer than 2 hours at a more relaxed pace I eat 2 servings of oatmeal two hours before the event.

I your case - trying to lose weight first, I would work out first and eat a decent meal immediately afterwards, while your metabolism is at it's most active - I think there is a 30 minute window for this once you have stopped working out.

As for losing muscle mass, that is doubtful unless you are doing extreme cardio for hours on end. I suggest keeping your maximum effort sessions under one hour 3 times each week, alternate the day inbetween with low impact moderate effort sessions lasting one to two hours.

Want to lose weight fast? Eat NOTHING and drink only water during the last 5 hours of your day, that is before you go to sleep.