Quantcast

Easment Letter

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Got a letter in the mail today from some developer asking me to give him an additional 10 ft easment on my property so he can run water lines to a new housing development. I have to laugh, so this guy from 300 miles away wants to make a few million $$ on a housing developement and wants me to give away additional property rights so he can do it? The town already has a 15 ft easment and he wants me to let him take another 10 so he can cut down a bunch of trees on my yard and increase traffic in front of my house?? Of course if it comes down to it some town official will be bribed well enought to just take it but I am certainly not going to just hand it over. Anybody have a few landmines they would like to sell.

DRB

unemployed bum
Oct 24, 2002
Watchin' you. Writing it all down.
Westy said:
Got a letter in the mail today from some developer asking me to give him an additional 10 ft easment on my property so he can run water lines to a new housing development. I have to laugh, so this guy from 300 miles away wants to make a few million $$ on a housing developement and wants me to give away additional property rights so he can do it? The town already has a 15 ft easment and he wants me to let him take another 10 so he can cut down a bunch of trees on my yard and increase traffic in front of my house?? Of course if it comes down to it some town official will be bribed well enought to just take it but I am certainly not going to just hand it over. Anybody have a few landmines they would like to sell.
What compensation did they offer? A developer gave my parent $10000 to run water lines across the corner of their yard. They cut down a few trees but re-landscaped it that their cost when they were done.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
DRB said:
What compensation did they offer? A developer gave my parent $10000 to run water lines across the corner of their yard. They cut down a few trees but re-landscaped it that their cost when they were done.
They offered exactly $000,000.00 in compensation, that is what makes it so outrageous. The letter mentioned it being a neighborly request, the landowner lives a couple hundred miles away :rolleyes: .

MTB_Rob_NC

What do I have to do to get you in this car TODAY?
Nov 15, 2002
Charlotte, NC
Reply in writing... I am not interested in relinquishing any property rights without compensation.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Mtb_Rob_FL said:
Reply in writing... I am not interested in relinquishing any property rights without compensation.
Good idea, it came with a return letter with a checkbox saying yes or no. I'll be checking no and throwing in a letter. I'm sure all of the people on my side of the street got the letter.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Zark said:
Kindly suggest an orifice for them to put their easement ;)
Even better, I should ask for a 3ft wide 25 mile long singletrack easement that wanders randomly over his 500 acres of hilly wooded land.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
N8 said:
He'll get the easement and you'll get nada... remember the US Supreme Court ruling earlier this week???
Yep, but there is no reason for me to make it easy on him. Didn't the S.C. ruling have to do with forced purchases of property and not just annexation?

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
I'm not really sure how an easement for a developement could be classified as the governments problem.

This sounds to be a private venture by the developer. You don't have to give anything away.

If you don't want to give it away just make him realise that it will cost him more to fight you than it would to just buy it from you. Even before it goes to court it will cost him a lot of time and professional's $ to get it to that point.

If you haven't already have your property surveyed. Make sure that he is allowed to run the piping where it is in relation to your house. Check the setbacks in your local zoning ordinance.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
stosh said:
I'm not really sure how an easement for a developement could be classified as the governments problem.

This sounds to be a private venture by the developer. You don't have to give anything away.

If you don't want to give it away just make him realise that it will cost him more to fight you than it would to just buy it from you. Even before it goes to court it will cost him a lot of time and professional's $ to get it to that point.

If you haven't already have your property surveyed. Make sure that he is allowed to run the piping where it is in relation to your house. Check the setbacks in your local zoning ordinance.
Good call

I only have a small chunk of land, my house is already on the edge of the existing easement and setback, in theory an additional easement may be illegal or at least a little harder to pass through. I do need to find where my septic tank leach field is although the dense patch of woods in the front of my yard tells me it is not near the easement. I just don't want to loose my little chunk of trees, give my small yard a good deal of privacy not to mention much needed shade.

DRB

unemployed bum
Oct 24, 2002
Watchin' you. Writing it all down.
I guess I should have said that what you got was similar to what my parents got. They responded with while they might be amicable with providing an easement that it would require compensation and the re-landscaping. That was when the gave the offer the accepted. Dad said it was obvious they would have given more BUT he didn't need more for what they did.

I wouldn't worry about them condemning the land and taking it. Claiming eminent domain without compensation is unheard of.

dh girlie

MISS MISSY (geek)
Westy said:
They offered exactly $000,000.00 in compensation, that is what makes it so outrageous. The letter mentioned it being a neighborly request, the landowner lives a couple hundred miles away :rolleyes: .
HAHAHAHAHA! At the bolded stuff...

F them...what a bunch of f'ers...neighborly my ass...I just LOVE that the cable company has an easement in my NEIGHBORS yard but feels free to climb my f'ing fence and f up the way the gate hangs...I caught the same f'er TWICE climbing my fence when he could have just asked...next time I will go to Pit-Bulls-R-Us and rent me a 90 pound man eater to greet the dirtbag cable guy.

SK6

Turbo Monkey
Jul 10, 2001
Shut up and ride...
Westy said:
Actually, consultation with an attorney would be highly recommended, as it is my personal belief that this type of solicitation is a violation of certain statutes.

As a realtor, I can say that assigning the easement without compensation is insane, and that the developer to think you would relinquish certain rights to your real property is ludicrous.

dh girlie

MISS MISSY (geek)
sirknight6 said:
Actually, consultation with an attorney would be highly recommended, as it is my personal belief that this type of solicitation is a violation of certain statutes.

As a realtor, I can say that assigning the easement without compensation is insane, and that the developer to think you would relinquish certain rights to your real property is ludicrous.

Wheres my jp clip you promised!

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
sirknight6 said:

My guess the letter was a scam to try and get as many suckers as they can to sign over the easement for free. I'll be talking to my neighbors to make sure they don't make any mistakes.

Echo

crooked smile
Jul 10, 2002
Slacking at work
I wonder if it would be better to talk to all the neighbors and tell them you are gonna ask for $$, and have them ask too, or just be one of the few to ask for $$. If the developer has a million bucks set aside to buy easements, I guess it would be better if less people asked...

Skookum

bikey's is cool
Jul 26, 2002
in a bear cave
Dude can i build some dirt jumps and ladder bridges in your back yard. i was also wondering what kind of siding do you have in case i want to use the side of your house for a wall ride, and do you have a pitched roof or flat roof for a killer drop.
Actually just send me a pm yes or no and i'll figure out the rest.

riderx

Monkey
Aug 14, 2001
Fredrock
Tell him you will trade him the easement rights for a 1 acre plot in his development. After all, it would be the neighborly thing for him to do.

J

JRB

dh girlie said:
90lb girls? doens't sound like they were eating ANYTHING at 90 lbs....
He didn't point out that his bitches were really just large dogs. :think:

Toshi

butthole powerwashing evangelist
Oct 23, 2001
dh girlie said:
90lb girls? doens't sound like they were eating ANYTHING at 90 lbs....
"man-eating" does not necessarily involve calorie consumption, urban legends aside :think:

J

JRB

stoney98 said:
You thinking about *eating* from teh wrong end. I know some 90 pounders that can eat a man alive, without ever actually eating. mmm... skinny spinners...mmm... oh wait, what were we talking about?
I'll bet you have pics of them in a secret mail account too, huh???