Quantcast

East Coast 29er

jncarpenter

Monkey
Apr 1, 2002
lynchburg, VA
I have really put alot of thought into this next bike. It is going to be a bruiser of a trail bike...run SS with a Hammerschmidt setup, Reba U-Turn 120mm 29er and a Gordo wheelset.

Still a bit of time to finalize the design before building begins...thoughts?

One with a bit more standover

Last edited:

IH8Rice

I'm Mr. Negative! I Fail!
Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
i dont think jack about engineering, but wouldnt putting the ST where it is put extra stress on the DT right above the BB shell? i see your second image has a gusset it seems, but the first doesnt

EastCoaster

Monkey
Mar 30, 2002
Southeastern PA
I see the Wolfhound influence...kind of resembles an old, EWR E-Motion 26'er frame...44 Bikes kind of thing...love the standover on the second frame...Yet...doing the seattube like that...the further the extension...the more the "virtual" measurements go...can fit more riders with one or fewer stock sizes of frames....And...the plus being, the higher the ST goes..the more the rear ax goes underneath the rider...
I'm riding 15.9" 26'er chainstays now!

MMcG

Ride till you puke!
Dec 10, 2002
Burlington, Connecticut
Why this next one? Not possible to put a suspension fork on the Wolfhoud - or do you just not want to change anything on that bike?

Aesthetically I'm not digging the seat tube, but - perhaps there is no getting around it if you want to achieve those 17" stays without bending anything.

Who are you commissioning to build it? Wolfhound again? Why not just do it the way he does it with the nearly full seat tube but then the bent tubes down by the bottom bracket junction? Or will this be a different builder?

tozovr

Monkey
Jan 16, 2006
Steel bike. The ST placement is to keep from having to bend it. I want to be able to lower the seat to the rails :)
Simon Bars seat tube is bent for front der placement and allows plenty of room to slam the seat.

You need to think about how far off the back you're going to be with the seat at normal height.

jncarpenter

Monkey
Apr 1, 2002
lynchburg, VA
Why this next one? Not possible to put a suspension fork on the Wolfhoud - or do you just not want to change anything on that bike?

Aesthetically I'm not digging the seat tube, but - perhaps there is no getting around it if you want to achieve those 17" stays without bending anything.

Who are you commissioning to build it? Wolfhound again? Why not just do it the way he does it with the nearly full seat tube but then the bent tubes down by the bottom bracket junction? Or will this be a different builder?
The Wolfhound was designed around the current setup...namely rigid. A 120mm fork ruins the geometry. Also, no ISCG tabs for the Hammerschmidt.

Steve Stickel is the builder.

MMcG

Ride till you puke!
Dec 10, 2002
Burlington, Connecticut
I'm still not digging your Seat Tube idea - but I know the frame will turn out nice regardless of whether I personally dig it or not. Steve is a great guy and one helluva fine frame builder - nice choice you made sir. :thumb:

jncarpenter

Monkey
Apr 1, 2002
lynchburg, VA
I can't stop wondering why you need or want such a super slack seat tube angle. Can you explain your reasoning for it?
The STA is effective @ 70*, which is only a couple degrees off of standard XC geometry...so not super slack by any stretch; unconventional, I agree.

I run a 71* STA on the wolfhound & needed to add a moots offset post...so the 70* 'Stickel should be right in line with my current preference. Essentially, having the same ETT length as the wolf & ST slacker than standard creates a very versatile setup. When seated, you can achieve a decent posture for most climbs (tho this will primarily be a single speed rear w/ Hammerschmidt...so alot of climbing will be done standing). When descending, it will very much feel like a dh setup due to the distance from bb to handlebars being shortened. Not to mention it also helps keep the wheelbase relatively short.

This bike is function over form...however, I trust it will also be quite the looker :)

jncarpenter

Monkey
Apr 1, 2002
lynchburg, VA
Leaning towards this seat stay configuration (if possible)...

Mark, basically...I am looking to create a 29er version of this:

Last edited:

MMcG

Ride till you puke!
Dec 10, 2002
Burlington, Connecticut
ahhh I stand corrected then.

Can't Steve get you what you want by using a "chainstay" plate? You don't need room for a front derailleur to clear the rear wheel/tire right?

I should stop my armchair critiquing now and just wait for Steve to do his thing and view the results. My guess is that it will turn out a helluva lot nicer than that AL thing those Banshee boys are about to release. ;)

Cheers,

Mark

jncarpenter

Monkey
Apr 1, 2002
lynchburg, VA
NEWSFLASH: This is not a XC weenie bike! :D

I have more than sufficient time on both my Sovereign & Wolfhound to determine that the STA works very well for the type of bike I intend it to be. :)

MMcG

Ride till you puke!
Dec 10, 2002
Burlington, Connecticut
When I first saw this - I always thought someone should carry forward the experiment a bit further (sans Thudbuster and with an appropriate bb height for a hardtail):

I can't wait to see what you and Steve come up with for a finished product. :cheers:

greenchris

Turbo Monkey
Jun 24, 2005
DA BEARS.
i think the important question here is what picture will you use in the head badge? I'm sure your project will come out awesome. I'd love a bike built by steve but as a bike shop employee i'll have ta wait...

FoShizzle

Chimp
Jan 24, 2006
I have really put alot of thought into this next bike. It is going to be a bruiser of a trail bike...run SS with a Hammerschmidt setup, Reba U-Turn 120mm 29er and a Gordo wheelset.

Still a bit of time to finalize the design before building begins...thoughts?

One with a bit more standover
i think its ok...and may make you look a little cooler at the trailhead but ultimately, you are still a friggin moron no matter how many or how cool your bike is