Quantcast

East koast rox

Banshee Rider

Turbo Monkey
Jul 31, 2003
You would be more 'core if you wore jeans and a sweatsh... nevermind. :p

Those two runs are fun. I like the diversity of trails there.

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
Over your shoulder whispering
That first trail is the one we finished on after taking that trail that leads from behind the berm at the last 3 jumps of Dominion. Clause took us on the longest rock riddled run on the mountain as our last run of the weekend.

30 plus runs a day for 3 days straight and then ending on that was exhausting...but fun!:thumb:

dump

Turbo Monkey
Oct 12, 2001
The east coast, rocks, etc... stopped being funny a long time ago.

Looks like some fun trails.

wood booger

Monkey
Jul 16, 2008
the land of cheap beer
i thought we were talking about roxs, not rocks. lame, show me some steep gnarly **** with cliffs on the side.

No doubt, like pebbles on a mole hill. You East Coast guys have runs that actually break triple digits in elevation? Haha.

Crappy pic, but Mammoth (and SB, Tahoe, etc) has some mean, steep, real rock gardens, not these smooth slabs you folks ride on.

West Coast! TuPac for life!

ncrider

Turbo Monkey
Aug 15, 2004
Los Angeles
No doubt, like pebbles on a mole hill. You East Coast guys have runs that actually break triple digits in elevation? Haha.

Crappy pic, but Mammoth (and SB, Tahoe, etc) has some mean, steep, real rock gardens, not these smooth slabs you folks ride on.

West Coast! TuPac for life!
Im from California and now live in the south. I love the west coast for weather but honestly Windrock puts Mammoth and SB to shame and was similar rock gnar-nis to N* except Windrock is much steeper and has more elevation.

Tough to beat runs down SB and finish on the coast though:)

Kanye West

220# bag of hacktastic
Aug 31, 2006
SB and Northstar are basically flat with isolated steep sections. Mammoth has more steep stuff than either of them.

None of them are the "steep" stuff that the west coast is known for.

I've seen some elevation profiles of Windrock and it looked pretty flat though? Looks fun in the helmet cams, but hard to believe it has 2k+ of elevation.

bdamschen

Turbo Monkey
Nov 28, 2005
Spreckels, CA
I wanna play!

First run ever down the trail, so I had to hike back up a section I hosed. Don't laugh at the leaky single crown or retarded long brake line, I had just had my actual DH bike stolen and built this one from things I found in my garage :D

Try to guess the coast :P

Hesh To Steel

Monkey
Dec 12, 2007
Hell's Kitchen
That's the first time I've ever seen any media (video or photo) of Deceit. One of my favorite trails and I always end up riding it by myself because nobody else I ride with ever wants to hit it, haha.

Oh, and Rox, bro.

p-spec

Turbo Monkey
May 2, 2004
quebec
I wanna play!

First run ever down the trail, so I had to hike back up a section I hosed. Don't laugh at the leaky single crown or retarded long brake line, I had just had my actual DH bike stolen and built this one from things I found in my garage :D

Try to guess the coast :P

Your vid sucks and is boring gtfo.

gemini2k

Turbo Monkey
Jul 31, 2005
San Francisco
Im from California and now live in the south. I love the west coast for weather but honestly Windrock puts Mammoth and SB to shame and was similar rock gnar-nis to N* except Windrock is much steeper and has more elevation.

Tough to beat runs down SB and finish on the coast though:)
Hmmm. Interesting perspective. Having been lucky enough in my relatvely short riding career to have ridden every SB, N*, Mammoth, and windrock trail (and the diablo trails in the vids!) I'd respectfully disagree. As hacktastic said no one is calling SB steep, well except for one trail, which very few people in SB ride. In fact, I'd say SB trails are probably the flatest DH trails I've ever ridden. They are however much rockier and more physically demanding than most other trails. Hell I still can't do completely non-stop runs on most of them. Northstar ain't much steeper either, except for a few isolated sections on dogbone/karpiel. However, windrock isn't that steep either. Definitely steeper than the previously mentioned areas, but certainly not the ZOMFG STEEP TECH its made out to be so often. It's pretty "standard" DH trail steepness IMO. Mammoth however, has some trails that are quite steep and technical. But the big joke is that all of the previously mentioned trails and riding areas are flat highways with velcro dirt compared to some of the shuttle trails in southern and central california.

P.S. those are pretty sweet vids

ncrider

Turbo Monkey
Aug 15, 2004
Los Angeles
However, windrock isn't that steep either. Definitely steeper than the previously mentioned areas
Actually I think we mostly agree.:thumb:

Anyway how cares. All the places are awesome in there own way. East coast west coast...lets just hug and be happy to ride awesome trails.

dump

Turbo Monkey
Oct 12, 2001
a) My trail is steeper than your trail.

b) If you think your trail is steeper than mine, see a).

quickneonrt

Turbo Monkey
Apr 8, 2003
Staten Island NY
Smooth riding! The videos just do not do Deceit justice. Where is the BMW video or Slayer for a single diamond is pretty tech. Slayer or Deciet to Ripper!

wfoerk

Chimp
Jan 6, 2010
Thanks for some vids that don't show some dude jumping the same jump 30 times. "Oh look, you can whip your bike"
yawn

Hesh To Steel

Monkey
Dec 12, 2007
Hell's Kitchen
Smooth riding! The videos just do not do Deceit justice. Where is the BMW video or Slayer for a single diamond is pretty tech. Slayer or Deciet to Ripper!
If only you could actually link up slayer to ripper. That would be a killer run. I've done the deceit to ripper run a few times and I usually hit deceit pretty clean and then make some stupid mistake on an easy part of ripper. You'd think I'd have learned my lesson by now, haha.

jackalope

Mental acuity - 1%
Jan 9, 2004
in a single wide, cooking meth...
FWIW, I think what makes Windrock gnarageous is not necessarily the amount of elevation you lose, but how you lose it. No, there aren't that many "pucker" roll-ins (at least when dry), but it has an unrelenting steepness to it that just wears you the fock out. It's rough as hell in many parts, and there are very few places to "mentally rest" and get your wits about you. In short, its hard to ride that place fast (for me anyway), but thats also why its my favorite place to ride on the EC. And hell, I think Southern Rocks is a "once per year" trail for me, even if I lived there.

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
Over your shoulder whispering
No you have not. :thumb:

pvssy. ;)

Dude isn't even lucky enough to have ridden the ones you guys had to shut down in the past or that ridiculous one Joey cut that went straight down the fall line through boulders somewhere between Snakerock and the other stuff.

I think the neat thing about Windrock is that the trails you remember being fun now kick your butt and send you flailing. And the trails that used to kick your butt refuse to wash away.

I hit Jawbone this last time and was like "WTF".

Don't get me wrong. Platty and any other DH place are fun no matter what. Heck, I'd say of all the places I've been to, Platty has the most DANGEROUS lines. Just because that crew always used to build or cut silly huge beatdown lines in the middle of a race course.

I'd kill to ride anything out West. If you ride, you love your trails. Anyone who's weather is suck in the winter owes it to yourself to plan a Windrock trip though.:thumb:

SB and Northstar are basically flat with isolated steep sections. Mammoth has more steep stuff than either of them.

None of them are the "steep" stuff that the west coast is known for.

I've seen some elevation profiles of Windrock and it looked pretty flat though? Looks fun in the helmet cams, but hard to believe it has 2k+ of elevation.

Windrock aint flat. Not even close.
The deal with windrock is that it will always have an "underground" vibe to it and that makes it hard for new riders to experience all its glory.
The landowners dont give 2 sh1ts about bicycles, there is no lift but a paved shuttle road(can do many runs in a day) and the trails are somewhat hidden to keep drunk a$$ atv's off the goods.
And the trails change with other mineral extraction activities(coal miner outfit blew the top off the mtn so the beloved uper windmill trail is gone, for now:rant:)

Having said all that, i love Diablo but Platty and Bromont even more.
I'm just stoked that we have these places to ride.
If you want to venture down south before the lifts open up just post up in the south forum and we'll give ya guys the red carpet treatment:cheers: