Quantcast

Eastern Slash- Impressions

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
Anybody know anything about the eastern Slash? Thinking about picking one up as a DJ/4X/trail bike, but can't find any info about durability nor geometry.

Looks like a tight little ride, but the ellsworth rear triangle and general "walmartiness" make me a little scared.

Dirtjumper999

Turbo Monkey
Feb 13, 2005
Charlotte, NC
Rode the 5 air and 7 coil a couple months ago. Over all I liked the feel of the 5 a little more than the 7. The 5 has a stiff feel to the entire bike. Head angle was nice. Bottom out gave a wee bit of tire rub on the seat, but that was with it slammed (on the 7). i liked the 5 more mainly because of where i rode the two, (small freeride stuff, dirtjumps). I would say the 5 would be my choice. they def didn't feeel cheap though.

manimal

Ociffer Tackleberry
Feb 27, 2002
Blindly running into cactus
i haven't ridden one but from what i've seen they're quality. i got a good look at joe haley's rig this year and love it. i know it's not much of an opinion as i have no saddle time on it but as far as craftsmanship, it's spot on.

LeRoy

Monkey
Apr 11, 2002
Wellington - NZ

EastCoaster

Monkey
Mar 30, 2002
Southeastern PA
I'd say it's a GREAT deal. I hope they don't go too quickly because I am gonna get one shipped on my next payday. Thanks for posting the link. The only thing I need to even think about is the med/lg decision. I am excited.... and with the way the dollar is going, the bargain gets better daily.

Did you ever get the bike? If so, how is it?

46chief

Monkey
Jun 12, 2007
Looks like a Bullit, must be flexy, and probably not worth it cuz it doesn't come in rootbeer.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
I never got one, and am kicking myself for it as they went back up in price. the spec was trash but the frame looked decent.

I may try and pick up a frame if i see one on ebay or the classifieds.

SquadraCorse

Monkey
Jul 25, 2007
Ridgefield CT
Lol, I'm not selling. Not after all the work I put into it. I wouldn't mind a Morewood or sinister R9 though.

That eastern looks very similar to the Cannondale Gemini. You're dying for a small travel rig aren't you? What are you looking to spend?

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
I'd like something small and peppy. I'm not big on hardtails or I'd buy a superco. I actually thought about buying your rukus from dave and putting a small shock and wheels on it, turning it into a psuedo slalom rig, but I think you did more than I ever could with it, so I'm glad I didn't.

I just want something lighter than the brooklyn but cheap and used...no sense in having several super-nice bikes.

SquadraCorse

Monkey
Jul 25, 2007
Ridgefield CT
...no sense in having several super-nice bikes.
:disgust1::disgust1:

I have a Mint transition vagrant frame if you wanted to build a hardtail. I was going to build it into a DS race bike but I don't see that happening at the moment.

My buddy has a Cannondale Prophet he might let go of. Great condition but more of an all mountain bike. 6" rear travel on it I think? Single crown something-or-other up front.

You should just get a mini-link :lighten:

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
:disgust1::disgust1:

I have a Mint transition vagrant frame if you wanted to build a hardtail. I was going to build it into a DS race bike but I don't see that happening at the moment.

My buddy has a Cannondale Prophet he might let go of. Great condition but more of an all mountain bike. 6" rear travel on it I think? Single crown something-or-other up front.

You should just get a mini-link :lighten:
is this pat? I like the prophet...had one in size large, and it was freakin huge. It would have to be a medium, and preferably thru-axle, as those things are a bit noodly for anything besides trail riding.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
Wow, awesome find.

Now 7" with the DHX 3, or 5" with the Float R? The only difference between frames is the shock stroke and the addition of a headtube gusset...25$ between the two via jenson. Which to choose?

EastCoaster

Monkey
Mar 30, 2002
Southeastern PA
A nice rig could be thrown together for so little dough. The Marz 55TST2 $$ blowout with it? I saw the Jenson price(s) on thes frames a little while ago.

But, here's the thing.... I don't mean to sound like I'm so "elite" or something but I just can't get past the "W@l-M@rt'iness" of the bikes.
Funny thing is, I'd have no problem buying something 20" from Eastern.

That, and I emailed Eastern a few months ago when Jenson was only selling the complete bike (for $1599 or something) with a couple of questions and they never got back to me.
Not something that seems too cool to me if you're trying to "break into" the 26" market.

And I've read tons on the boards about those rears not holding up. (I do take the info. with a grain of salt.) Lots of warranty stuff when these rears were Ellsworth frames.
Anyone hearing the same?

Mountain_Dewd

Monkey
May 30, 2005
whis
the five is a decent little rig but the 7 is ****ed. wacked geo, 15+ in bb with a 66 at 170 and more with a totem. also the tire bottoms on the frame if you run more than like a 2.2 on the 7

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
I thought they only changed the shock on the 5 vs. 7 inch frames...is that not true?

Have you heard of the rears braking on Easterns, or on Aeon/Ellsworth bikes? I have heard of plenty of broken Aeons, but no easterns yet.

Mountain dewd, do you have a friend who rides one, or do you ride one yourself? Thanks for the info...

EastCoaster

Monkey
Mar 30, 2002
Southeastern PA
I'm kicking around the, "Build up a bike that I REALLY want with every part that I've ever wanted" VS. "put together a 7" cheapo Slash" for as little dough as possible, ride the p*ss out of it, and not ever have to worry about damage to any "blingy" parts. Slash 7" $425 (Jenson) with a $325 Marz 55 TST2 (Jenson) with Azonic Outlaw wheels $249 (Jenson), some closeout Avid hydros. Etc., Etc.

Sinister Griutr would be my "Wanted" bike, BTW. Yet, with the build that I'd want to do...(No scavenged parts here...everything would be brand spankin' new) it'd probably run me around 5K!

Opinions? Everyone has one! :-)

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
I don't see a big reason to spend the extra dough on a gruitr frame...I like sinister because they're east coast, but FTW didn't do the welding on this one, although he had input (from what I've read). So, you aren't necessarily getting a higher quality frame, althought the sinister may be better thought out.

I can't make up your mind for you, but I'd have a hard time shelling out so much extra dough for a heckler/bullit copy when you can get one for so much less. I just don't know how the eastern rides in order to compare it to anything...

Jibby

Chimp
Mar 17, 2008
Madison
I rode my friend's 7" Slash Coil. It felt identical to my hardtail (Avent Jibster) in Geo and feel, but it had 7 inches travel.

I liked it so much, I'm trading my FS frame for his. I'm going with air shock though, for lightness, plus I've never had one.

I will agree that the swingarm looks gay. Just sticker it up, it works with Eastern's graphics.