Quantcast

Easton Carbon Bars

CrAckErKorEan

Ridemonkey's own half breed
Nov 29, 2001
Winder GA (Its in the sticks)
I was curious if there is a weight limit on these bars? I just purchased some EC70 bars for 40 bucks but I though about it. Im a 215lb rider. Am I to heavy for these? Just curious. Thanks for any information.

JMAC

Turbo Monkey
Feb 18, 2002
I heard that Easton tests their carbon bars past the point that would break your arms anyway. I trust carbon bars more than Alum ones as long as there are no deep scratches and nothing is over tightened. If you are worried about over tightening i had a riser bar from IRC (carbon) sold cause i wanted a flat bar but it had little metal inserts at the bar end, were the stem clamps and shifter/brakes calmp on.

CrAckErKorEan

Nov 29, 2001
I just installed the bars. Everything is snug enough not to move but not to tight. I took my ALU bars off and they are tanks i would be willing to bed 300grams or more. I go on my weekly ride tomorrow so we will see. Thanks for the help guys.

scofflaw23

Monkey
Mar 13, 2002
Raleigh
Easton claims that their bars are stronger than aluminum (probably excluding some dh specific stuff) and that their carbon DH bars are the "strongest on the planet" or something to that effect. i doubt they tested them against some hand-welded 5-piece Brooklyn Machine Works bars though...

DHS

Friendly Neighborhood Pool Boy
Apr 23, 2002
Sand, CA
i have carbon bars on everything bike i own, well soon the road bike aswell. Anyway i have them on my Letoy and i do some dumb things on that, and i'm not really smooth. and they are perfect!

Babar

Monkey
Sep 14, 2001
Colorado
I read somewhere that you can predict when CF bars would crack or break, unlike aluminum it just breaks all of sudden.

I Are Baboon

The Full Dopey
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England
Originally posted by Echo
I go about 185, no probs with carbon bars on my XC race bike thus far.
:stupid: But I only go 170 these days.

The bar I use is a hand-me-down. The guy that used to own it is a pretty big guy, I'm guessing 220.

PaulE

Chimp
Feb 7, 2003
Sheffield, England
I've had a set of Easton monkeylites on m XC bike for 3 years now, and they're excellent. Still straight, no sign of cracking and they add a bit of vibration absorbtion on the odd occasion I decide to run rigid forks. ridiculously light too, the 26" wide version I've got weighs the same as the 23" wide flat bars they replaced.

oldfart

Turbo Monkey
Jul 5, 2001
North Van
What he should have said was never mount used bars which you don't know the history of. If your used hub fails no big deal, but anything in the steering arena, fork, stem bar, big deal if it fails particularly at speed.

Some front end stuff for some riders should be retired anualy. Most riders could probably use stuff safely for a couple three seasons. That's something one has to judge for themselves using weight of the rider, how harsh the rider is on stuff, crashes and the weight and quality of the component. Having broken a bar and a fork and seen the results of several friends broken forks, I err on the safe side. I tend to replace stems every couple seasons and forks too. My Easton carbon bars are from 99 though and I am starting to consider replacement.

I've said this before and I'll say it again, carbon gets a bad rap probably from people making installation errors and some of the first manufacturers who made crappy stuff. Carbon fiber alpine ski poles are quite duarable and they have to put up with steel ski edges. And they are pretty narrow things. And high quality light aluminum ski poles break too as do thin wall aluminum bars. Anytime you use lightweight parts care must be taken in the installation and application.

CrAckErKorEan

Nov 29, 2001
These bars were new which is a good thing. Thanks for all the information. I have installed the bars and have taken one ride on them thus far. I will probably keep them for about 2 years depending on how many times i wreck. Once again thanks for all the help.

Babar

Monkey
Sep 14, 2001
Colorado
German Bike Magazine recommended to swap out lightweight bars every one year according to there bar test. Maybe i shouldnt go for lightweight bar... It is tempting...

Evilmunch

Monkey
May 5, 2002
NE of ATL
Originally posted by Babar
Hope this helps.
I didn't get past "the test in detail"

nice pics though, I'm sure they mean something useful. :D

Ok. I get the bar graphs. I assume that the scale on the left is how much pressure the bar could take before it failed. What do the multiple colors mean?

I Are Baboon

The Full Dopey
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England
Damn, yo. Swap out the handlebar every year...install a new cassette, chain, and front rings every year...get new tires, new cleats, new pedals......

This MTB thing sounds expensive. Maybe I'll reconsider my hobbies...

:D

Jozz

Joe Dalton
Apr 18, 2002
SADL
Originally posted by I Are Baboon
Damn, yo. Swap out the handlebar every year...install a new cassette, chain, and front rings every year...get new tires, new cleats, new pedals......

This MTB thing sounds expensive. Maybe I'll reconsider my hobbies...

:D
That's preventive maintenance... by looking at your sig, I'd say better switch to badminton before you go bankrupt!! :D

oldfart

Turbo Monkey
Jul 5, 2001
North Van
Thinking is expensive. Started thinking about my old Easton bar. Think I got it in 99 or maybe 00. Thinking it might be time to retire it. Thinking it has a few surface marks from that Thomson stem. Thinking I have had a few spills. Thinking led to buying a Race Face Next carbon low rise xc bar. Its shiny and new:)

luke3.14

Chimp
Aug 11, 2002
Ma
i like them bars, but i hear if you get a deep scratch on then it might weaken them, but that is just what i heard, i think they are nice and light bars for the money.

luke3.14

Chimp
Aug 11, 2002
Ma
i would also suggest you try the easton taperlights, they are very nice for the money and arent too heavy.