Quantcast

easton DH?

SXtrailrider

Turbo Monkey
Aug 27, 2005
What do you guys think of easton DH stem. Im looking to get a new stem, but spent all my money on a new frame. so this is the cheapest but is it strong? I am want to make sure that this stem holds the bars in place, and will hold up on falls. The one I owned now, after like every fall caused my handle bars to become out of line with my tire. so basically my tire faced straight, while my handle bars were a little to the left or right.

SXtrailrider

Turbo Monkey
Aug 27, 2005
PS the stem i have now is an XC stem, and yes it has to be able to handle falls because what can i say i fall a lot.

Bicyclist

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2004
SB
Your stem probably wasn't tight enough. If you're low on cash check out a Powertools DH stem.

black noise

Turbo Monkey
Dec 31, 2004
Santa Cruz
Most stems will do fine. Any stem that's short (less than 70mm) imo will be good. I don't think stems break much. I have a Truvativ stem and it's been reliable and stiff.

The reason your bars twisted in a crash was because the stem was not clamped tight enough on the steer tube (the part of the fork going straight up through the frame). It has nothing to do with the stem. Take out those bolts, grease them with a heavy grease (like Phil's in the green tube), and put them back in tight. Not super-super tight, you don't want to strip anything, but pretty tight. Ask your LBS about tightness if you're unsure.

bballe336

Turbo Monkey
Mar 3, 2005
MA
I run an Easton Vice. It works pretty well. It's stiff as far as I can tell, it hasn't broken yet. It also has a good rise and it feels sorta long compared to my old stem but I really like it. Definitely worth buying.

SXtrailrider

Turbo Monkey
Aug 27, 2005
i actually all ready saw your thread, but i don't need an oversized, but powertools is a good idea o own thier front hub.

Bicyclist

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2004
SB
Still, an unnecessarily heavy bike isn't worth it if you can get a light/strong/cheap bike!

SXtrailrider

Turbo Monkey
Aug 27, 2005
hey so should i buy this or look at something else it is at the top of my price range and i think eston is a worthy comany for biking am i wrong. please give opinion. BUY OR NOt what to do thanks

Bicyclist

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2004
SB
What about the used SIC LL in the Buy&Sell under components, it looks sick and it's $50 shipped.

PatBranch

Turbo Monkey
Sep 24, 2004
wine country
If you still want a new stem anyway, just buy something used! You really don't need a brand new one. A slightly used one will be just as good, but cheaper. You will be getting the same thing as a new one (maybe a few scratches), but it will do the job just as well.

bikenweed

Turbo Monkey
Oct 21, 2004
Los Osos
Dude, you want your bars to turn a little in a huge or big crash, unless you're racing. I've bent several pairs of pars, and a couple could have been prevented with a stem that could give a little. Don't freak out unless it ALWAYS moves and it's pretty tight.