mushrooms, sliced
6 sausage links (sweet italian or hot)
olive oil
red wine
linguine
tomato sauce
2 cloves of garlic, minced
parsley for garnish

in a 12" skillet, brown all sides of the sausages over med heat in olive oil. remove from heat, slice into ~1/4" discs, and cook until pink color is gone. remove sausages from pan.

add in the onions, and stir for ~1 minute. add in peppers. cook until softened, stirring occasionally. remove. add mushrooms to pan, cook until they release their liquids, and cook for ~5-7 minutes. remove.

deglaze pan w/ ~1/4 cup of wine, increasing heat to reduce.

add everything back to the pan, and add the garlic and a jar of your favorite pasta sauce, with heat on low. stir and cover. you can add ~1/4 cup of shredded parmesan cheese to the sauce to thicken if you'd like.

cook linguine as per instructions...i don't start this until the sauce is simmering since you want some time to cook down and blend the flavors.

drain pasta, and dump the sauce into the pasta pot along w/ the pasta. mix and serve w/ parsley and cheese.

mangia!

Last edited:

cecil

Turbo Monkey
Jun 3, 2008
with the voices in my head
1 can hunts tomato sauce
1 softball size onion
2 cloves garlic
1 package mushrooms
1lb ground beef
4 hot italian sausage

misc seasoning, italian seasoning, oregano, parsley flakes, black pepper, a couple shakes of each

pull stems out of musrooms, dice onion, slice garlic pour everything in sauce pan raw bring to a boil, lower heat and simmer for an hour stiring regulary.

all meats will cook through while simmering for an hour, and will make the sauce taste great.
every time you stir the sauce pieces of the ground beef will fill the mushroom caps. mmmm

pick your favorite pasta and cook after the hour of simmering

enjoy

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
if you also have to make yr own sauce, it slides out of the realm of 'easy' into 'more work.'

let me guess...you make yr own sauce when you get back from your hard day at work :p

TN

Hey baby, want a hot dog?
Jul 9, 2002
Jimtown, CO
we have been getting the best sauce at the italian grocery around the corner from us but lately it has been almost too salty. I can't see them changing the recipe, so I am wondering if they switched brands of canned tomatoes, maybe to something cheaper with more sodium. :confused:

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
if you also have to make yr own sauce, it slides out of the realm of 'easy' into 'more work.'

let me guess...you make yr own sauce when you get back from your hard day at work :p
This coming from the guy who gave me a hassle because I put a little heavy cream in my carbonara? :rofl:

I just use crushed tomatoes and a few spices for "red sauce"... I've generally found jar stuff to be too salty/sweet for my liking.

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
Cream
Butter
Sliced Mushrooms
Crushed Garlic

Alfredo Sauce

still need the six pack of Pabst.

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
This coming from the guy who gave me a hassle because I put a little heavy cream in my carbonara? :rofl:
there's a difference here between expediency and staying true to tradition.

I just use crushed tomatoes and a few spices for "red sauce"... I've generally found jar stuff to be too salty/sweet for my liking.
we do a basil, garlic, crushed tomato w/ pasta dish quite a bit, but the difference is that there's not much sauce as compared to using stuff from a jar (unless you really cook the tomatoes down quite a bit). the paul newman sauce is a decent jar sauce.

or you could reach in the freezer past the gallons of frozen milk and get some frozen sauce.

TN

Jul 9, 2002
Jimtown, CO
I had some of the best carbonara I have ever had @ 3 Floyd's Brew pub. It was made with homed made pasta & pork belly. :drool:

Damo

Short One Marshmallow
Sep 7, 2006
French Alps
No one should ever buy pesto.

Basil, pinenuts, garlic, fresh parmesan, salt, olive oil. Blend together.

Easy? Yes. Will it keep? Yes. You should all have this in your fridge.

TN

Jul 9, 2002
Jimtown, CO

At the end of the season we take all our basil from the garden & make a huge batch & freeze it in little containers. It is like enjoying a taste of summer in feb. :thumb:

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder

i've made pesto in a food processor, and w/ a mortar and pestle.

buying it's easier and tastes almost as good. :D

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
Lots of places around here have fresh pesto ready to go in bulk, so you can buy as much or as little as you want. (I'm talking fresh here, not that nasty crap in a jar.) It's easier, keeps longer than fresh basil, requires no clean-up, and it's actually cheaper after you factor in the cost of basil, pine nuts, and decent cheese. 'Course, I live in an apartment and can't grow my own basil, which would change things.

Each his own, but with all the other ingredients and time involved in this recipe it seems like only a bit more to simmer a can or two of good tomatoes instead of using a prepared sauce. Just sayin'.

I am not really a fan of pre-made sauces but I make an exception for the Pomi brand stuff in a box. I wouldn't use it for anything beyond the most simple dishes. I mean, brown some sausage or pancetta, maybe add a little diced onion, garlic, add the Pomi, a little cheese, and you're done. And you can still say it didn't come from a jar. :D

dan-o

Turbo Monkey
Jun 30, 2004
:thumb:
I made this tonight knowing that Narlus' boys must like it. Mine devoured this, with the exception of the mushrooms, even with whole wheat pasta.

I used newmans fire roasted tomato and garlic sauce. It was good but the weak link. Given the prep time I'll whip up a sauce along the lines of OGs next time.