Quantcast

Eating Clean

laura

DH_Laura
Jul 16, 2002
Glitter Gulch
Any meatheads on the board? Heheheh just kidding. My mother in law left a body building magazine at my house and I have become intrigued with "clean eating". Anyone here adhere to a "clean diet" at all. I know very little about it but I plan to start researching today.

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
water, whole grain wheat bread/pasta/rice/whatever. veggies.

no white bread/rice, soda, processed sh!t.

cleaner calories, less chance for what you eat to be stored as fat. i keep trying but fail at it.

beer consumption would have to be reduced. replace with whiskey/water/on the rocks.

Last edited:

laura

DH_Laura
Jul 16, 2002
Glitter Gulch
water, whole grain wheat bread/pasta/rice/whatever.

no white bread/rice, soda, processed sh!t.

cleaner calories, less chance for what you eat to be stored as fat. i keep trying but fail at it.

beer consumption would have to be reduced. replace with whiskey/water/on the rocks.
SO no **** carbs then?

I think I am going to give it a go. 30 days. I plan to read up on it some this week and start next week.

laura

DH_Laura
Jul 16, 2002
Glitter Gulch
i've tried to adhere to a clean diet. i can't usually get past breakfast. :biggrin:

good luck Laura...if you find something that works i'd love to hear what your plan is.
I've been reading up on it (for one whole day) and I think the 30 day trial I give it is going to be an 85-90% clean trial. I've been neurotic about food before and don't plan to do it again but I have got to get away from the sugar and fat that has become a habit in my diet. (although TN might argue, he likes me "soft" :) )

Apr 28, 2008
I don't think I could live it up with this kind of diet. I love sugar. I love carbs. But I am quiet curious, though. I will still give it a thought.

ReductiMat

Chimp
Jun 16, 2008
If you can get over the used-car salesman approach, there's a lot of good info at Precision Nutrition.

I've roughly followed the eating guidelines they've preached and am in the high single digits of body fat... but I eat too many pizza's and drink too much beer to be inducted in the underwear model biz.

The trick to carbs is to understand Glycemic Load (the successor to the Glycemic Index).

punkassean

Turbo Monkey
Feb 3, 2002
SC, CA
I've been sort of going off the zone guidelines (40:30:30) for a few months now except I don't stress the exact ratios as much as I stress eating high quality foods. Which is talked about in Top 100 Zone Foods . Luckily where I live good food is pretty easy to find. I've been using a service called Planet Organics to get fresh local produce delivered each week to the house and then I shop at the local markets and only eat out at the places that use organic, predominantly local ingredients. It's definitely expensive and time consuming but I can tell my body runs much more efficiently so I feel it's well worth it. When I go on the road, even if I eat traditionally healthy foods they do not agree with me very well because they have more processing and preservatives than my system is accustomed to.

When I go on long rides I pretty much throw the zone out the window and eat a lot of carbs but I still make sure to get plenty of protien because it's very important for endurance and recovery. A lot of cyclists overlook protien it seems. I know I did for years and since I've upped my intake I am much healthier and more fit. The key with protein is not to eat a lot at once but to eat a small amount every few hours (which is basically the same as all other foods really) and to eat clean protein from soy or fish or white meats or even nuts and yogurt/dairy. Non-fat Fage brand Greek style yogurt is a great source of clean protein for vegetarians.

demo8razor

Monkey
Mar 31, 2008
yea what they said, basically no processed stuff, most bodybuilders that are not the very best pros, eat quite poorly through out the year, and do not each much less but eat cleaner to cut down for a show. basically it is just better for you overall also, you still need simple sugars, but glucose is much better for you than sucrose

Jun 24, 2008
If i only drink diet soda and diet drinks, does that count as processed? Technically there are no carbs, but I know it can't be great for you. I just get bored of water quickly..

knittingfiend

Monkey
Jun 13, 2008
A tick north of Seattle
If i only drink diet soda and diet drinks, does that count as processed? Technically there are no carbs, but I know it can't be great for you. I just get bored of water quickly..
Yes. The crap used to sweeten those drinks will kill you faster than sugar (IMHO). Seriously, though, there are some studies showing it increase appetite! And substances like Splenda haven't actually had any long terms studies done in humans (so, the market place IS the longterm human study... Yes, it's "sugar".....with Chlorine attached....)

Try things like EmergenC or I really like Ola Loa....They'll spice your water up, add vitamins and electrolytes, and not "kill" you... :biggrin:

BMXman

I wish I was Canadian
Sep 8, 2001
Victoria, BC
Any meatheads on the board? Heheheh just kidding. My mother in law left a body building magazine at my house and I have become intrigued with "clean eating". Anyone here adhere to a "clean diet" at all. I know very little about it but I plan to start researching today.
I follow a clean diet about 90% of the time...you will notice a higher boost in energy as well as improved health..well at least I did...D

Jeff P.

Monkey
Nov 13, 2006
East Bay, Ca
There have also been studies showing that when you ingest artificial sweeteners it can "trick" your body into thinking that it is getting sugar which jacks with insulin levels and some other systems and does some not so good stuff, none of which come to mind.

On the protein thing, i have read over and over again that it can work as an appetite suppressant, i have had good luck downing a protein bar/shake with breakfast. Also eating things like youghurt and cottage cheese at night before bed is benificial to muscle production, both contain caesin which is a slow-absorbing protein so it will have a time-release type function and fuel your muscles overnight. Most protein shakes contain a blend of whey and caesin so you get that initial barrage (whey) which is critical post workout when your body absorbs most, and the slower guys for the long haul in recovery.

I havent seen any official "eating clean" diets but you can do no wrong getting away from overprocessed crap. In addition to not having the chemsitry set in your food unprocessed/minimally processed food actually takes more energy to digest, a process which burns calories, which is a good thing. So really if you changed your diet from simple carbs (white bread, white rice, bleached flour) and processed **** to complex carbs (wheat bread, brown rice, unbleached flour) and unprocessed ****, you would loose weight just from digesting it. That said degestion doesnt use that much in the way of calories...that was an exageration, sort of.

I need to spend more time on bike forums and less on nutrition forums...
JP

LMC

Monkey
Dec 10, 2006
Another great dietary concept I'm more and more interested in....

The Paleo Diet For Athletes
that is basicaly the diet protocol ive been adhering to for the last year ir so and i swear by it.

i consume 3500 calories a day (at 180 lbs) and stay around 10% bodyfat whereas when i was eating carbs, even complex carbs like oats/wholegrain rice and the like i found it impossible to strike a balance between eating too little for my training needs and putting on fat. Now i find it hard to put on fat!

Not to mention the invariable blood sugar crashes associated with eating high carb meals are a thing of the past, now i have consistant energy levels throughout the whole day.

im also the leanest and strongest ive been in years. A number of UK powerlifting champions adhere to this diet too, so dont worry about a lack of carbs having an adverse affect on your strength/endurance ect.

Jettj45

Monkey
Oct 20, 2005
Butthole of NC
that is basicaly the diet protocol ive been adhering to for the last year ir so and i swear by it.

i consume 3500 calories a day (at 180 lbs) and stay around 10% bodyfat whereas when i was eating carbs, even complex carbs like oats/wholegrain rice and the like i found it impossible to strike a balance between eating too little for my training needs and putting on fat. Now i find it hard to put on fat!

Not to mention the invariable blood sugar crashes associated with eating high carb meals are a thing of the past, now i have consistant energy levels throughout the whole day.

im also the leanest and strongest ive been in years. A number of UK powerlifting champions adhere to this diet too, so dont worry about a lack of carbs having an adverse affect on your strength/endurance ect.

Never hear of this "diet" but very interesting. I had a slump a couple months ago and got up to around 193lbs just getting back to my 6 meal no processed foods(fish and chicken only protein sources) eating style I was back to around 177lbs in 3.5 weeks.

Most people probably don't know that depending on the ripeness of a banana or other foods determines if it is a complex or simple carb. If you eat a not quite ripe banana its roughly 90% complex and 10% simple and vice a verse for simple. That is why they are best to eat when they start getting black dots on the banana peal.

Last edited:

Jettj45

Monkey
Oct 20, 2005
Butthole of NC
Anything altered from its natural state is considered processed. If you get bored with water drink natural green tea. And before and during workout's try a sports mix. I say mix because most "sports" drinks sold are actually not the best thing for you ie: Gatorade, all sport, powerade. Accelerade is an example of something good. Personally I use a Performance mix from Shaklee...

You want a mix with about 7-8% (17-19 grams) carb in it which comes from either monosaccharides or disaccarides aka simple carbs. It has to do with gastric emptying and absorption times in your body. Also Sodium and Potassium are important to have.

LMC

Monkey
Dec 10, 2006
Anything altered from its natural state is considered processed. If you get bored with water drink natural green tea. And before and during workout's try a sports mix. I say mix because most "sports" drinks sold are actually not the best thing for you ie: Gatorade, all sport, powerade. Accelerade is an example of something good. Personally I use a Performance mix from Shaklee...

You want a mix with about 7-8% (17-19 grams) carb in it which comes from either monosaccharides or disaccarides aka simple carbs. It has to do with gastric emptying and absorption times in your body. Also Sodium and Potassium are important to have.
i second that, green tea has loads of health, fat loss and energy benefits and in my opinion tastes better than regular tea.

i agree with the buying your own mix for energy drinks. I use maltodextrin powder (technically a complex carb but acts like a simple carb) and add essential salts and there you go, all you need for recovery at a fraction of the cost of gatorade etc without any added sweeteners...

i use www.myprotein.co.uk but theres no doubt good a local supplier

Jettj45

Monkey
Oct 20, 2005
Butthole of NC
i second that, green tea has loads of health, fat loss and energy benefits and in my opinion tastes better than regular tea.

i agree with the buying your own mix for energy drinks. I use maltodextrin powder (technically a complex carb but acts like a simple carb) and add essential salts and there you go, all you need for recovery at a fraction of the cost of gatorade etc without any added sweeteners...

i use www.myprotein.co.uk but theres no doubt good a local supplier
Yeah ditto, the drink I use has that fructose and glucose in it.

punkassean

Turbo Monkey
Feb 3, 2002
SC, CA
speaking of sugar. i'm so into sugar. what would help me to cut my sugar intake? i mean, stop the craving or something.
Eating the proper ratio of carbs/protien/fat should balance out your blood sugar and greatly reduce the spikes and lows which lead to your cravings. I recommend checking out the Zone diet, you don;t have to follow it to a T but adopting the basic principles should make a huge difference for you.

DsDhBxracer13

Monkey
Feb 18, 2004
Burlington, Vermont
Just my two cents here.

I lost 25lbs of fat this spring, kept my muscle/strength in a pretty easy way. I did plenty of strength training while I was dieting to keep my strength up. On the food side I had different daily nutrition plans set up around 2300 calories a day. I cheated often but clearly don't think it affected me. My diet consisted of lean meats, veggies, fruits, bread and yes white bread (very important directly after lifting), pasta, yogurt, nuts and trail mix. I'm a college student and did drink alcohol heavily on the weekends. My basic thoughts are that people eat way more calories then they believe. If you can put together a basic program that has you low on the calories, but allows you to cheat often I personally think your golden. Again just my thoughts and what worked for me. Also a note when I lost those lbs, I did not cardio what so ever, only weight lifting. I'm a little drunk right now to thanks to my friend named college so sorry for any misspellings, etc.