Quantcast

Eating Dirt

One of the kids down the road got a new Walmart bike - "suspension" fork singlespeed. Today I noticed that he and his brother had a jump set up - a board and a cinder block.

I stopped to admire the bike and chat with his father, who had already managed to back over the cinder block once when leaving the driveway.

Anyhow, I decided I was going to take a run at the jump with my bike. Got up a good head of steam and maybe ten feet from the jump my drive chain locked up solid and I took a nice head first digger into the mud and gravel driveway.

The kids, occupied with trying to fall through the ice in a roadside ditch, didn't seem too interested one way or the other. I got back on, bumped over the jump a couple times, finished up my chat with Al, and left with various sore spots.

A little while later, mom and dad and the dogs and kids came walking down the road - Val wanted to make sure I was in one piece. While we were talking, the kids disappeared - seems that they had in fact noticed the pratfall with enthusiasm, and were headed back to practice. :)

What I would like to know is what happened with the drive train. It locked the rear wheel solid. When I picked the bike up, the chain was off the rings in front, but nothing was jammed or whatever - when I got home I put the bike on the stand and everything worked click-click-click. Whatever happened is an utter mystery to me at this time.

J

Skookum

bikey's is cool
Jul 26, 2002
in a bear cave
johnbryanpeters said:
You got any more of that weed? It must be good! :monkey:
Last weed i ever smoked was good ole fashuned Humboldt County outdoor. Smooth blend, smoked it thru an apple. Ahhhh the best pipeweed this side of the west farthing......kaff kaff

Echo

crooked smile
Jul 10, 2002
Slacking at work
Generally I've found that "jump approach diggers" occur when hammering like crazy towards a jump and something happens with the bike. It's a much better idea to gather speed smoothly towards a jump in my experience... and don't think I'm trying to sound like some seasoned expert here, as recently as last weekend I was reminded of this phenomenon at Ray's :)