Quantcast

Eating while travelling

dogwonder

Nitro
May 3, 2005
Walking the Earth
I have been travelling a lot for work lately, all to the same bat location in SoCal.

What do people do for food when they travel? Since I'm here on work and on an expense account, I've been eating out a lot. The problem therein lies that I have been eating like shat and drinking way too much beer.

What are people's MO's while travelling? Especially if you are by yourself. I tend to find a restaurant with a bar, eat at the bar while drinking a couple of beers and watching the Padres.

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
That's a tough one. When I'm travelling, it's cuz we're on vacation.

The only suggestion I can come up with is find a place with a quality salad bar?

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
The Internet is a glorious thing. There are literally dozens of restaurant review sites, location maps, etc. Start with Google.

Many, many sites have menus available online and you can check 'em out to see what kind of food they're serving, whether they'll have anything healthy, etc.

http://www.healthydiningfinder.com/site/

dogwonder

Nitro
May 3, 2005
Walking the Earth
OK my grand plan of eating better this time around went all to hell. I ate smaller portions when out, but due to going stir crazy in my hotel room, had a beer or several beers just about every night.

FUDGE!

Maybe things will fix themselves when I'm back home. At least I've had plenty of high quality bacon.

TreeSaw

Mama Monkey
Oct 30, 2003
Dancin' over rocks n' roots!
OK my grand plan of eating better this time around went all to hell. I ate smaller portions when out, but due to going stir crazy in my hotel room, had a beer or several beers just about every night.

FUDGE!

Maybe things will fix themselves when I'm back home. At least I've had plenty of high quality bacon.
You're going to need to buy some more new pants Mr. ;)

I tend to order starters (not the deep-fried ones) and then snack rather than eat a lot. And, I like to drink good bourbon instead of beer ;)

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle

FUDGE!

Learn to drink hard alcohol, without sugary mixers (think martinis, scotch on the rocks, etc.). Not calorie-free but less than beer and less...um...gassy bloating.

Jr_Bullit

I'm sooo teenie weenie!!!
Sep 8, 2001
North of Oz
I traveled for years for my job, and still have to fly down to TX periodically to help my boss out when he's slammed.

However, I detest eating out by myself - or being 'that girl' at the bar all alone and chowing down. Instead (because I generally have a rented car) I hit up the local grocery store.

I can almost always find something tasty, even if it's one of those microwavable frozen meals.

My favorite 'dinner away' feast (though also probably not my favorite) - was my birthday last year. I had to be in TX working on my bday (not fun), so in a 'pity me' moment, I hit up whole foods and came home with a crusty baguette, two tasty cheeses, a small thing of cherry tomatoes, an avocado, a small thing of olives, and a bottle of red wine.
The hotel found out it was my birthday (I couldn't figure out how to open my wine lacking a proper corkscrew, and the waiter they sent up to help me I guess blabbed that I looked like a wreck) - so they sent up chocolate cake and ice cream and candles!

I popped up my laptop for some late night work - flicked on the tube and watched some awful movie - and pigged out. :)

Jr_Bullit

I'm sooo teenie weenie!!!
Sep 8, 2001
North of Oz
Oh - and another tasty treat - we road trip a lot, and sometimes don't want to stop to cook. I usually have some cold grilled chicken in the cooler, or cans of tuna and a thing of mayo, and a couple onions for a fast sandwich.
Other tasty ideas are to carry some good italian dry sausage/salami, a small thing of brie, some tomatoes, and some crackers. Prosciutto works well too!
If you're in need of a calorie punch, pick up a small baggie of almonds and munch away!

Dartman

Old Bastard Mike
Feb 26, 2003
Richmond, VA
Where's a moderator when you need one! ↑ ugggh!

I too often sit at the bar while dining out alone.

In this cookie cutter country we live in you can always find a familiar place to eat (Chili's is a safe bet) but I like to look for what is best locally and unique. I can expense $55 per day max and usually buy my own breakfast/lunch for a great meal in the evening.

I last visited Wilmington, DE and had every dinner for a week at the Iron Hill Brewery in Newark, DE. Great beer and really good food.

:cheers:

Mike

dogwonder

Nitro
May 3, 2005
Walking the Earth
Where's a moderator when you need one! ↑ ugggh!

I too often sit at the bar while dining out alone.

In this cookie cutter country we live in you can always find a familiar place to eat (Chili's is a safe bet) but I like to look for what is best locally and unique. I can expense $55 per day max and usually buy my own breakfast/lunch for a great meal in the evening.

I last visited Wilmington, DE and had every dinner for a week at the Iron Hill Brewery in Newark, DE. Great beer and really good food.

:cheers:

Mike
You went to Delaware and didn't go to the DFH brewery? :bonk: