Quantcast

Ebay ethics question

blue

boob hater
Jan 24, 2004
california
So a guy is trying to sell this thing on eBay I want, but I can't afford it at the current moment. I'm like oh, damn, guess I won't be able to buy it, but it didn't sell at the price he wanted for it (Which admittedly is a good price). So after it ended and nobody bid on it, a couple days later I sent him an email through eBay asking if I could buy the thing from him in a month because I would have the money saved by then (It didn't seem like he needed to sell it urgently...). Ebay gives me this nasty warning that if I'm trying to buy outside of eBay I'm a horrible murdering thief...I mean its not like I'm trying to undercut bidders here, nobody bid on it and the item isn't currently on eBay...does that make it fair game?

blue

boob hater
Jan 24, 2004
california
Something along those lines, I'd assume.

Meh, I just barely sent the guy the email, so I don't even know if he's interested as well.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
just remember that you have no recourse through ebay (feedback or whatever fraud protection they may have) if you deal with him directly.

chicodude

The Spooninator
Mar 28, 2004
Paradise
most of the stuff ive boughten off of ebay was bought after the auction just like bluethunder. never had a problem

blue

boob hater
Jan 24, 2004
california
Toshi said:
just remember that you have no recourse through ebay (feedback or whatever fraud protection they may have) if you deal with him directly.
Yeah, but I think a lot of that is so eBay scares you into only buying off eBay...moneymoneymoney...I'd just go paypal or COD or something to avoid getting facked over.

grimm

Monkey
Jan 12, 2002
Sweden
Ive sent similar requests, never got a warning from ebay, but the seller hasnt been interested either anyway. I just think its weird that they actually send you a warning of that sort. All ive ever read is a caution about how you might get more easily screwed with no protection if you deal with an item on ebay, after it has been taken off ebay for whatever reason..

just check his feedback and see if you trust him. i always consider feedback even if the guy in question is selling via a forum or something. why would he be less trustworthy if he has say 100 good deals with 98% or more positive feedback, just becouse its not currently an ebay auction?

i can only say that i have 100% positive, with over 100 seperate deals, and ive used that as a mean for people to trust me outside ebay as well. its always worked and we've both been happy with the deal

my 2 cents

Edit: what you also can do is ask of you can do a part payment thing. ive done that twice on ebay, and they have accepted it within a certain time period..

Jun 18, 2004
xbluethunderx said:
So a guy is trying to sell this thing on eBay I want, but I can't afford it at the current moment. I'm like oh, damn, guess I won't be able to buy it, but it didn't sell at the price he wanted for it (Which admittedly is a good price). So after it ended and nobody bid on it, a couple days later I sent him an email through eBay asking if I could buy the thing from him in a month because I would have the money saved by then (It didn't seem like he needed to sell it urgently...). Ebay gives me this nasty warning that if I'm trying to buy outside of eBay I'm a horrible murdering thief...I mean its not like I'm trying to undercut bidders here, nobody bid on it and the item isn't currently on eBay...does that make it fair game?

Dude, just send him an eB p.m. and tell him what you can afford and ask him to relist it...
if that dosn't work just hang tight and unless the item is one of a kind, a collectable, or a prototype, etc etc I'm sure another item identical will materialize before you know it...

J

JRB

Phuck ebay. What are they the WTC? Who the hell do they think they are? If ebay doesn't want you buying it like that, they should have to buy it for phucking up the dudes sale. I HATE ebay. You can find some good deals, but you can get screwed too. Where are they when that happens?

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
ebay definitely wants the sales to go through them so they can get the commission (of course, since they also own paypal they aren't getting nothing from the deal). i think it is strange that they sent you an email; they must have a bot which searches for key words in emails sent through ebay??? not sure how they will ever know if a deal was done outside ebay or not though.

i've had good luck w/ buying after an auction ended. that's how i got my DH bike.

J

JRB

xbluethunderx said:
Something along those lines, I'd assume.

Meh, I just barely sent the guy the email, so I don't even know if he's interested as well.

Did you send it or barely send it??? Did he report you to ebay? How do they know you emailed him? Are they hacking your mail? That sounds wrong. If he reported you, phuck him. I wouldn't buy from his dumb ass anyway. :mumble:

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
narlus said:
ebay definitely wants the sales to go through them so they can get the commission (of course, since they also own paypal they aren't getting nothing from the deal). i think it is strange that they sent you an email; they must have a bot which searches for key words in emails sent through ebay??? not sure how they will ever know if a deal was done outside ebay or not though.

i've had good luck w/ buying after an auction ended. that's how i got my DH bike.
If I read it correctly, they did not send him a warning. They simply list warnings on their site that you're not allowed to buy outside of eBay.

I've done it. No big deal. I just talk to the person via email and buy it from 'em that way - it's their item, it's your money, what the hell is eBay going to do about it?

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
i suppose the reason ebay gets pissed is that they (rightly so) feel it's free advertising. kinda like the Want Advertiser, and the honor system (aren't you supposed to pay a percentage of the sales price to the mag?).

blue

boob hater
Jan 24, 2004
california
Yeah, it wasn't in a seperate email, it was just in the sent message confirmation email I got. He is indeed interested if he doesn't sell it to a local buyer this week...btw...tis a road bike ;)

What kind of payment programs can you do? I get paid weekly so it would be supercool if I could work something along those lines out, but I don't think I'd particularly trust someone to make payments in just an informal agreement.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
wait until you have the money, then buy the bike. i don't understand all this fascination with payment plans for small ticket items