Quantcast

ebay find of the day - barel's 05 bike !!!

hellonasty

Monkey
Mar 8, 2005
MSA
It ain't Fabien's bike. Its the limited edition Stab Supreme Kona has made in honnor of Fabien's Gold Medal at the World's. Fabien's bike was built WAY lighter than that one. It had an e.thirteen LG1 guide, Ti coil, reduced travel on the bike and fork around 6.5 inches, etc. This is NOT Fabien's bike.

punkassean

Turbo Monkey
Feb 3, 2002
SC, CA
hellonasty said:
It ain't Fabien's bike. Its the limited edition Stab Supreme Kona has made in honnor of Fabien's Gold Medal at the World's. Fabien's bike was built WAY lighter than that one. It had an e.thirteen LG1 guide, Ti coil, reduced travel on the bike and fork around 6.5 inches, etc. This is NOT Fabien's bike.
exactly, plus the regular stab supreme only has 8" rear travel not 10" like the auction says.

punkassean

Turbo Monkey
Feb 3, 2002
SC, CA
What I don't get is how Fabien and Pete get their bikes so light with some of the components they run on them? Race Face Diabolus and Sun MTX's etc aren't that light. I know they run Ti hardware and custom jibs but ultimately it seems as though the heavy parts would negate a lot of the small bits. It must be the custom tubesets that make the biggest difference.

ilfreerider

Monkey
Oct 3, 2003
israel
i know this year's bike is polished but i think it is last year's wc bike , look at the rocker and white 888 lowers compared to the ltd model.
also ,the parts look the same as on the polished bike.

vitox

Turbo Monkey
Sep 23, 2001
Santiago du Chili
last years bike was this one, note the extra hole they made there to mount the shock, which had a part of the travel removed and also he had 170mm 888 on.

punkassean

Turbo Monkey
Feb 3, 2002
SC, CA
marlopez said:
why decrease the travel?
Fabien wanted a lower CG so he flipped the shock links, that meant he had to run a shorter shock which means less travel. I think he's okay with less travel but he mostly wanted a lower CG and that was the best way to get it.

bballe336

Turbo Monkey
Mar 3, 2005
MA
ilfreerider said:
i know this year's bike is polished but i think it is last year's wc bike , look at the rocker and white 888 lowers compared to the ltd model.
also ,the parts look the same as on the polished bike.
It's not Fabien's bike. The bike he rides has a Ti spring, drilled out mrp for the 04 season, clipless pedals, and a different seat and a different shock mount. It's just Kona's limited edition copy bike.

RD

Monkey
Jul 31, 2003
Boston, MA
it is probably a frame of his from this season, just with different components. He was on one with the same color scheme at Mt. St. Anne. His bike wasn't very light either, no Ti stuff to speak of, just good old metric blue screws. Super low BB and HUGE wheelbase. :) makes for a good time and a win or two.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
Why on earth would someone want a pros used bike?

That's like wanting to buy a cessna with 20,000 airframe hours that was used for spin training exclusively, except with nice paint it "looks" nice.

vitox

Turbo Monkey
Sep 23, 2001
Santiago du Chili
it could very well be the case that it has the equivalent of your cessna in use, and i think the case could also be the opposite, just as with any used frame. difference might be that it could be easy to find out what the case is exactly because it a big name pro`s bike.

merrrrjig

Turbo Monkey
Dec 24, 2003
Mammoth Lakes, Ca
Well, the 10 year old kid that buys it wont know it wasnt fabians, since the only pople that ride konas are 10-12 years old, canadian, and are on pinkbike all day!

blt2ride

Turbo Monkey
May 25, 2005
Chatsworth
Jm_ said:

That's like wanting to buy a cessna with 20,000 airframe hours that was used for spin training exclusively, except with nice paint it "looks" nice.
Exactly...probably wouldn't be a great purchase.

J

J5ive

vallEbikes said:
lower bottom bracket, easier to pump.

fabian runs his bb at around 11.5 inches so that is not his bike
I call bull**** there. I've run a bike with a 13" BB and 7" of travel and I hit the 165mm cranks doing pedals in the mellowest of corners.

mobius

Turbo Monkey
Jan 25, 2003
Around DC
11.5" are u kidding me? the second ud lay that bike over ud clip a pedal and hed smash the **** out of his bike so much

sayndesyn

Turbo Monkey
Someone probably bought the LE bike, decided they didn't like it, now how do I make my money back? Swap a few parts out, take the rocker to a machine shop, etc... The bid is up to around 2,800 bucks for a USED bike so it sounds like the plan is working. I have a Stab Supreme and it is actually a pretty good handling bike. I know there is alot of haters out there, but I got it new bloody cheap ;)

kinghami3

Future Turbo Monkey
Jun 1, 2004
Ballard 4 life.
Jm_ said:

I found that lesson the hard way... still looking for a new frame.

bikenweed

Turbo Monkey
Oct 21, 2004
Los Osos
Yeah, 11.5 is loooow. My Specialized SX, in the low position, is at 12.2". 11.5", while possible, is pushing it with 7" of travel. Who knows, maybe that's how he rocks it. I don't remember seeing him always on the gas, if he's smooth and absolutely pinned in the corners, pedaling in smooth flats, it's doable. It doesn't always make the most sense to pedal through rocky stuff, it's usually faster to just pump, and with the CG that low, the brakes would feel awfully lonely never getting used before corners.

preppie

Monkey
Aug 30, 2002
Europe
I remember seeing his bike in LesGets and the BB was really low, but I don't think it was as low as 11.5" (292mm)

Did you see Fabien uses mud tires ...on dry courses ?
I still find it kinda weird, but obviously he has his reasons and it works for him.