Quantcast

eBay negative feedback question..wait how long?

Salami

Turbo Monkey
Jul 17, 2003
Waxhaw, NC
I just bought some springs for my fork off eBay and the springs I received are a different spring rate than what they were supposed to be. I have been trying to reach the seller via e-mail and eBay for the last two days but have not been able to get a response from him. In the seller's defense he got the springs to me within 4 days of the auction closing and the markings on the spring are sort of hard to identify. The thing that bothers me is I was very specific in asking questions to make sure they were the spring rate I wanted and assured they were. Also I get the feeling the seller works in a shop I who I feel should have known better than your average seller.

My question is what do you folks consider a reasonable time period to give before I should leave negative feedback and start making a big deal about getting my money back?

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
I usually don't leave bad feedback until I've actually made contact with the seller - which, on one occasion, took me a week or so and some digging to locate their work phone #. Two days is not very long at all.

You never know.. I was reading a quote on bash.org where someone left bad feedback and the seller's response was "My son died. Buyer was extremely impatient and insensitive."

I wouldn't even think of leaving bad feedback before a week of no contact. eBay will provide you with contact phone numbers - I can't remember what the link said, but it basically informs both parties of each other's phone numbers so everyone has fair information.

If you get a week of no contact whatsoever and the phone numbers don't work/aren't answered, I'd send them one last email saying, "If I don't hear from you within <24, 48, 72, depeding on how patient you are> hours, I'm going to leave negative feedback and file a complaint with eBay."

DHS

Friendly Neighborhood Pool Boy
Apr 23, 2002
Sand, CA
i'd wait a couple more days to hear from him and then if done by paypal ask for your money back. tell ebay that they are then wrong item. but yes leave negative feedback its what he deserves.

jacksonpt

Turbo Monkey
Jul 22, 2002
Vestal, NY
yea... you gotta give him more than 2 days. Hell, some people only check their e-mail once a week. Granted, that would be pretty irresponsible in this type of a situation, but you gotta give the seller more time. Be patient... don't e-mail him every hour until you hear back - that will just piss him off.

I'd only leave negative feedback if you think he knowingly screwed you. You said the markings were legitimately hard to read - could it have been an honest mistake? Assuming he gets back to you and corrects the situation, I'd give him the benefit of the doubt. Again, unless you are pretty sure he knowingly sent you springs that were different from what he advertised (spring rate).

I Are Baboon

Vagina man
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England
binary visions said:
You never know.. I was reading a quote on bash.org where someone left bad feedback and the seller's response was "My son died. Buyer was extremely impatient and insensitive."
Boy, the person who left the negative feedback must have felt like a total duchbag.

BigMike

BrokenbikeMike
Jul 29, 2003
Montgomery county MD
I'm on your side in this situation. If its the wrong item, its his fault. Period. Try to get in contact with him for another day or two, but after 3-4 days, I say file a complaint.

Salami

Turbo Monkey
Jul 17, 2003
Waxhaw, NC
Okay a week sounds fair. I want to give him some time because I understand there could be circumstances I don't know about. I just wanted to get some opinions on how long I should wait so I don't jump the gun but on the same hand I didn't want to wait longer than what is fair.

Leaving negative feedback is going to be determined on how he handles the situation. If I feel he made an honest mistake and is willing to work with me I won't give him negative feedback. If he won't respond or he is a total dickhead I will be creating all kinds of waves for him.

Salami

Turbo Monkey
Jul 17, 2003
Waxhaw, NC
binary visions said:
eBay will provide you with contact phone numbers - I can't remember what the link said, but it basically informs both parties of each other's phone numbers so everyone has fair information.

I did not know this. Thanks. I will dig and see if I can get his phone number.

Salami

Turbo Monkey
Jul 17, 2003
Waxhaw, NC
Knuckleslammer said:
I'd give him 20 minutes or so. Don't want to be impatient :eviltongu
Yeah, I was briefly thinking of pulling a Knuckle on him but I figured I would give him a bit of time before I go mental. :sneaky: