Quantcast

Ebay question: shipping out of North America

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
I am selling two frames on Ebay, and there has been some interest from overseas buyers, (Germany and Israel). Has anyone shipped overseas, and were there any problems?

Fulton

Monkey
Nov 9, 2001
if your using paypal, it's very easy to get screwed. i wouldn't do international on any expensive items, unless they wanted to pay with something other that paypal

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
Why is it easy to get screwed with Paypal?

I won't ship overseas unless they pay with Paypal, since then I get the money right away and I know it's cash, not a foreign check that might take a month to clear, or a money order that may or may not be valid.

I just shipped some laptop memory to a guy in Australia, and have sold to Canada before. I take Paypal only, make sure to overestimate the shipping charges, and insure whatever it is so that it doesn't get lost or damaged in customs.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
i generally refuse to ship overseas. customs introduces a delay of uncertain length, and it's just much more of a hassle. if you can sell your item domestically don't bother with the overseas crowd.

blue

boob hater
Jan 24, 2004
california
If you know what int'l shipping entails, go for it, but if you're a noob...ehhh.

Shipping through USPS is generally your cheapest but least dependable route for international shipments. If you're sending anything worth over 1k, I would definently recommend using UPS/Fedex/DHL to ship internationally, but you WILL pay a pretty penny to do so. UPS has Canada Standard (ground), so I don't see why anyone has any issues at all with Canadia. Anyway...I work in a UPS Store...I know these things :p

DieselX

Monkey
May 26, 2004
New York City
There's a big problem with accepting PayPal from international buyers. Almost no one has a confirmed address or a verified account, means you won't be covered by the Seller Protection Policy. The guy can receive your item but say he didn't, and you can't prove it(unless you use UPS or FedEx which has tracking but is ridiculously expensive). PayPal will take your money in a second and it sucksss. Had it happen to me before. This does not apply to Canada, but sh!t happens. So watch out guys.