Quantcast

ebay question

greenchris

Turbo Monkey
Jun 24, 2005
DA BEARS.
do number of bids for bikes on ebay sky rocket the last day or so??? ive got my intense on sale now and im worried im only going to get five hundo for the frame

Toshi

butthole powerwashing evangelist
Oct 23, 2001
if it doesn't sell for as much as you hoped then you were hoping for too much. many bidders do wait until the last few hours, however.

dfinn

Turbo Monkey
Jul 24, 2003
SL, UT
bidding doesn't normally get hot until the last hour, sometimes the last couple of minutes.

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
I think it varies on how popular an item is. I saw a Santana tandem (small size, hard to find), jump from $21k to $26 in 10 minutes.

On the other hand, if it is somewhat easy to acquire, I have seen bids from days before win. I bought a Norco Torrent in amazing condition, and I was the only bidder above $500. The guy wisely set the Reserve at an acceptable sale price of $1200.

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
I don't bid until the last 6 seconds. Ebay is not like a traditional auction where people bid until one quits, there is a time limit.

I have a price in mind, I bid that prince in the last 6 seconds and I either win, or I don't. There is always some jackass willing to outbid me by $.25, so why show your hand until last call?

PatBranch

Turbo Monkey
Sep 24, 2004
wine country
jimmydean said:
I don't bid until the last 6 seconds. Ebay is not like a traditional auction where people bid until one quits, there is a time limit.

I have a price in mind, I bid that prince in the last 6 seconds and I either win, or I don't. There is always some jackass willing to outbid me by $.25, so why show your hand until last call?
I bid at about the last 30s.

I was watching a bullit on ebay for about $700. It went up from there to about $1600 in the last few hours.

Angus

Jack Ass Pen Goo Win
Oct 15, 2004
South Bend
yeah Ebay is a nerve racker sometimes, to get the best price you have to roll with it and do a no reserve auction also try to make sure it ends when theres a alot of people on.I set my auctions to end around noon CST so I can catch slackers on both coasts (who usually bid higher than middle america). I get all the Cali's & PNW's surfing before lunch and the Easties surfing right after lunch.

PatBranch

Turbo Monkey
Sep 24, 2004
wine country
robdamanii said:
Nah, I use the websites out there. There are dozens of them that provide the same service, and they work quite well.
I was going to try one a while ago, but I never got around to it.

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
robdamanii said:
Nah, I use the websites out there. There are dozens of them that provide the same service, and they work quite well.
i used auctionwatch (i think) and it worked fine but only gave you like 3 freebies until you had to pay...and it was on the basis of the auction value, not just a set fee.

which ones are free ones that you recommend?

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
narlus said:
i used auctionwatch (i think) and it worked fine but only gave you like 3 freebies until you had to pay...and it was on the basis of the auction value, not just a set fee.

which ones are free ones that you recommend?
I have used eSnipe with good result. It is $.01 per $1 of the final value, but only if you win.

I like it because I set it and then try not to worry about it too much. I set it as high as I am willing to pay (first thought, not "I would pay a little more...") and let it ride.