Quantcast

Ebay question

Matt D

Monkey
Mar 19, 2002
charlottesville, va
A friend of mine is selling a frame online at Ebay.

Someone emailed him asking what his reserve was. Why would someone ask in the first place, and why should/shouldn't my friend disclose this information? What does he have to gain or loose?

Thanks

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
The only point to a reserve is to get people started bidding who might be turned off if they knew the minimum price they'd have to pay. People are far more inclined to keep bidding on an item past what they're really willing to pay, then to start bidding on an item at that price point. So, if your buddy answers this guy, all he has to lose is this guy will make a decision - either put in a bid higher than the reserve, or forget about bidding. That's the only reason he's asking.

Personally, I always just set the minimum price I'm willing to accept as the starting bid. I'm not sure how many people do this, but I often just skip over items that have "Reserve not yet met" next to the price.

Evel Monkey

Monkey
Oct 28, 2003
PNW
They're probably asking to see if he wants a ridiculous amount or not.
I usually just post my reserve in the auction. I figure I gain nothing by keeping the reserve "secret", it's just the minimum that I want. It also save me time by not answer everyone who asks what the reserve is.

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
binary visions said:
Personally, I always just set the minimum price I'm willing to accept as the starting bid. I'm not sure how many people do this, but I often just skip over items that have "Reserve not yet met" next to the price.

Same here!

If I want something bad enough I'll ask the seller if there is more or less a buy now price so they dont' have to wait the time out for the auction.

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
I understand using a reserve and I've used one myself when I have a drop dead price. You pay less for a listing if you start the bidding at $1 than if you start the bidding at $500. But if you need to get at least $500 out of the frame, then a reserve is the way to go.

If I wouldn't pay more than say $500 for a frame listed with a reserve, then I ask the seller what the reserve price is. If they don't disclose it, then I may or may not bid. I have never kept my reserve secret, but some people choose to for whatever reason.