Quantcast

eBay Seller Rant

Serial Midget

Al Bundy
Jun 25, 2002
Fort of Rio Grande
I have been looking for a used disk specific rigid fork on eBay – I found one in Seattle with an opening bid of $30.00. Most rigid forks sell for around $20.00 if they are nothing special – this fork was nothing special, wholesale cost to my LBS was $28.00 so my cost would be around $48.00 with shipping. I e-mailed the guy, after his auction ended with no bids, with an offer of $35.00 to include shipping. He counter offered $40.00 – the shipping costs for the same state UPS are around $4.70, plus no one bid on it for the 7 days it was listed.

I can’t understand why people go through the cost and hassle of trying to sell something and they won’t accept a reasonable offer???

Oh well – that’s what I get for trying to save $10.00. :rolleyes:

I believe you must sell to the first person who makes a reasonable offer because you might never find another person who wants what you are trying to get rid of. As far as I know the market for used disk specific forks isn't that hot.
:angry:

HedgeHog

Monkey
Nov 8, 2003
Atlanta GA
It amazes me how inflated the prices are on ebay. Occasionally you can find a good deal, but I've often found new products with warranties on the net cheaper than on ebay.

People get into that whole bidding mindset without shopping around. I guess this guy is just used to dealing with people like that. :rolleyes:

MMcG

Ride till you puke!
Dec 10, 2002
Burlington, Connecticut
Originally posted by HedgeHog
It amazes me how inflated the prices are on ebay. Occasionally you can find a good deal, but I've often found new products with warranties on the net cheaper than on ebay.

People get into that whole bidding mindset without shopping around. I guess this guy is just used to dealing with people like that. :rolleyes:
I lost a bid on a really nice SGS Expert frame that went for only $227.52! So deals can indeed be found. Just not by me cuz I didn't play the Ebay game right - should have asked for Echo's guidance right off the bat! :rolleyes: :D

Serial Midget

Al Bundy
Jun 25, 2002
Fort of Rio Grande
Yes - there are deals all over eBay. I wasn't looking to score - I think a $30.00 + $5.00 for in state shipping was very fair for a $50.00 USED fork. Especially since it was up for a week and no one bid on it.

:think: Plus I hate not getting what I want. :eek:

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
I have seen SRAM XO derailleurs go for more than MSRP. The only think I can think of is that people Ebay while drunk.

Jr_Bullit

I'm sooo teenie weenie!!!
Sep 8, 2001
North of Oz
I got a great deal on ebay once....

I put a watch on for bid that was a gift from an old boyfriend with a starting bid of 0.99, the reserve was $5.00 to cover my ebay expenses. :D I sold that damned thing for $85 if you can believe it and the guy who bought it was sooo tickled. :) I didn't think the watch was worth much of anything either...kinda cool

$tinkle

Expert on blowing
Feb 12, 2003
i paid $10 for Cool as Ice (VHS) offa eBay.
for some odd reason, i couldn't find it anywheres else.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
Originally posted by HedgeHog

I agree... I was bidding on a camera for my girlfriend... Ritz Camera was/is selling "floor model" cameras on eBay, so they've been handled, usually are a little marked up, and usually come with no or dead batteries. The camera I was bidding on can be had for $217.00 online, so I wasn't about to go over $190.00 for a floor model. But the three cameras I bid on all went to $225+ by the end of the auction.

People will sit there and browse eBay for hours looking for a product, but won't spend 10 minutes looking on Google for a good deal.

It is a great tool though, for rare/hard to find stuff, or to see your junk. It shocks me, the kind of junk people will buy is amazing.

reflux

Turbo Monkey
Mar 18, 2002
G14 Classified
Originally posted by $tinkle
i paid $10 for Cool as Ice (VHS) offa eBay.
for some odd reason, i couldn't find it anywheres else.
F*in AWESOME!!!! I did the EXACT samething.

Girl: "So, where you from?"

Ice: "Around."

Girl: "Around here?"

Ice: "Yup yup."

Pure theatric genius.:dead:

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
ebay can be funny like that. I bought an amp for my old car that was listed as good, but had no pictures and no brand name in the subject. It was an MA Audio high current amp that I scored for $45 + $15 shipping. When I got it, it was brand new with everything including a set of white cotton gloves to use for installing it!

Anyway, it was WAY to nice for my beater, so I sold it on ebay with a proper listing and pictures for $350.

I also sold a set of used Avid V Brakes off my Kona Stinky for nearly twice what the retail was at the shop! I felt kinda bad for taking the money, but I guess if you don't shop around, it'n your own fault.

Spunger

Git yer dumb questions here
Feb 19, 2003
I find deals of the year on ebay all the time.

Maxxis Stickey rubber Mobster and Slow Reezay Mobster 2.7 in size, $55 for both shipped. That is normally the price for 1 tire!

Intense M1.......I had to buy a rear hayes brake, titec bar, raceface stem, ringle headset, thomson post and WTB seat, along with the Medium M1 and 2001 or 2002 Super T with air assist that came with it for $1650 shipped.

I ended up selling the hayes brake alone (was a hayes comp) for $90 shipped and gave the guy a new set of pads as the ones with it were roached, sold the stem for $15, fork for $230 I think, WTB seat was beater, bars sold for $10, headset I still got.

My 2002 Intense M1 costed me in the end I believe $1200 or so. Was a great deal considering most were going for $250-400 more at the time that I could find.

I look at everything and try to find the best deals. Ebay is where you will find them. Anything from shirts to shoes to bikes to even cars if you had the $$$. I don't think people see the "best offer" thing alot, they just want $40 for it and won't take a dime more or less, that is where THEY loose money.

You gotta play ebay fair. If you sell things, you know around what they are worth. IF the bidding goes way high then it is the Buyer's deal to pay. If he doesn't pay you take action. That is it. Not my fault someone baught my hayes comp disc brake for $90 when you can get 2 new ones, with rotors for $149 from supergo. I felt bad that's why I added a new set of pads in and bled them. I figured that was the most I could do for $90.

Ebay rocks though. Without it my bikes would have been alot more then what they already are to build!

blue

boob hater
Jan 24, 2004
california
I very rarely actually BID on ebay, usually I just look at "Buy it Now" stuff if I'm looking for a good deal, thats where they can be had. Typically, if an auction is popular or the seller is an asshole, the price will go way beyond the MSRP...the trick is finding stuff nobody wants, and waiting until the seller has relisted it for the fourth time :rolleyes:

BMXman

I wish I was Canadian
Sep 8, 2001
Victoria, BC
lately Ebay has been very good to me...I'm making about half of what I make at my regular job on a monthly basis...doesn't take long to list an ad...and 99.9%of all my transactions go smoothly....the extra money is cool...maybe one day I can quit my regular job and do it full time...D

HedgeHog

Monkey
Nov 8, 2003
Atlanta GA
Originally posted by binary visions
I agree... I was bidding on a camera for my girlfriend... Ritz Camera was/is selling "floor model" cameras on eBay, so they've been handled, usually are a little marked up, and usually come with no or dead batteries. The camera I was bidding on can be had for $217.00 online, so I wasn't about to go over $190.00 for a floor model. But the three cameras I bid on all went to $225+ by the end of the auction.

People will sit there and browse eBay for hours looking for a product, but won't spend 10 minutes looking on Google for a good deal.

It is a great tool though, for rare/hard to find stuff, or to see your junk. It shocks me, the kind of junk people will buy is amazing.
I was looking for a saddle recently. I found a couple on ebay and watched them. The thing is that I had researched them and found them from the manufacturer's website and nashbar on sale. Those people on Ebay ended up paying way more than the sale price of a NEW saddle.

They juat about paid regular retail for a used saddle. I just don't get it.

:rolleyes: