Quantcast

Ebay selling tips?

L

luelling

I have some electronics that I would like to sell on ebay...but I've never used ebay. Do you have any tips for a newbie?

macko

Turbo Monkey
Jul 12, 2002
THE Palouse
I'm by no means a power-eBayer, but I did just sell half a dozen items on there after cleaning out my garage.

Tips? Make sure you include lots of information in your description and some decent digital photos. I use paypal and for shipping I stick with the option that automatically estimates shipping cost based on zipcode.

That's about it, I suppose. Hopefully someone else here can give you some better info.

Bicyclist

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2004
SB
Just make sure you're honest in your description and you don't sound like a dumbass. Be coherent.

Make sure to include price and all info (that includes a picture or two). Start at a low bid so people will see it and get into bidding wars.

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
Also, list your item so that it ends no later than 6:00 pm Pacific time. Listing time can make a HUGE differnece. I do most of my auctions during the week around work hours because LOTS of people surf ebay at work.

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
have the item packed and ready to go, so all you need to do is to address the box when you receive payment. this will definitely help your feedback rating.

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
I use USPS Priority Mail for everything that is not large or heavy. I have been using DHL for everything else because they are cheap, easy, and for $3 they will pick the item up at your house the next day (you can do multiple shipments at no extra charge for pick-up too).

I have sent a bunch of heavy stuff through them and it's great because you print the label online, then I leave it on the back porch and they pick it up while I'm at work.

DHL has also sent a few things via Air for the ground price because there was space available on the plane.

Spunger

Git yer dumb questions here
Feb 19, 2003
I sell 10-15 things a month on Ebay. Best advice I can give you is:

- Give the best description you can of the item. If it's new in box (NIB) then state that, it's new, never used, just taken out for photo purposes. Usually new items like that don't draw too many questions so there's not a whole lot to describe. New is new.

- If it's used give as much of a description as you can to avoid people from emailing you and asking you questions about the item. If it has paint scratches tell them where they are and an estimate of size. If it's dented let them know. If it's faded don't forget to put that. You don't want to down-talk your item so much that no one want's to bid on it, but at the same time you want to be fair in your description of the item.

- Describe the payments you accept. Paypal does take a fee (2% I think) or something like that. You can't charge more for people paying via paypal. Paypal is owned by Ebay (go figure). But on the safe side cashiers checks/bank checks/money orders all work good. No personal checks (as those can be a major PITA)

- Shipping. Don't over charge too much on shipping. Meaning if you know it costs you $.39 to send it, don't charge $5. That will turn people away and hurt your chances of selling it. Infact Ebay is cracking down on people who charge a high amount for postage if it's stupid high. As an example on cell phones......most of the shipping charges are like $25+. They put it in a DHL/USPS box and ship it ground. It cost's like $7 to do it. So be fair in the shipping. If you need packing materials then so be it but don't gouge the person on shipping. I sell mainly cards on Ebay and end up charging $4 for shipping ($.50 for the bubble mailer), plus shipping $1.35, and that leaves a little over $2 to cover any fees Ebay takes and Paypal. You'll never get enough shipping on small items to cover both Ebay and Paypal fees.....plus that's not really what Ebay "wants" you to do.

- If you are selling something expensive and don't want to take a hit via Paypal you can have the person send you an Echeck which takes a fixed amount ($5 I think) and that's it vs a 2% + $.50 or whatever it is Always a plus to save a little coin.

- You can offer many shipping ways. But always make sure what you charge for shipping is right. If you plan on using USPS priority mail ($4.05) and that includes the tracking # then go for it. Insurance is always extra. Sometimes it works out well......other times it's a waste of money. Just depends on what goods are being sent.

- Listing times. Try for times when you know people will be home. I try to get mine to end 6-7 pacific time so east coast people have time if they want. If not I try for the same to end on Friday's or Sunday's as more people are around then say a Wednesday.

Well there are some tips. If you do a good job of describing the item, putting it up at the right time, and have it end at the right time it should be a piece of cake. Ship it out as fast as you can (usually have 1-2 days after payment) and no one really complains all is good. It takes some time getting use to but once you are comfortable with Ebay it's such an easy tool to get rid of things you have no use for or just want to recoupe some $$$ back.

GumbaFish

Turbo Monkey
Oct 5, 2004
Rochester N.Y.
Be clear on your shipping costs, I hate auctions where shipping is a mystery. I've found that its worth it to have to thumbnail that shows while scrolling through items, i think its like an extra quarter or something. Generally make sure you are clear and honest, nobody likes to get something with a scratch that wasn't mentioned etc. If its something really expensive a reserve price isnt a bad idea... you don't want to sell something for like 30 bucks just because you didn't have a reserve.