Quantcast

EBay - Smoke and Mirrors

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
Over your shoulder whispering
It's the glory hole of the retail world, I tell you!!! :rant:
Thought I'd figured out EBay when I won a bid on a 24" Arrow Racing 2.1 LT Bite tire for my daughter and paid $12 shipped. It came from a random pawn shop in Arizona, shelf dust and all.

So i've taken and dipped my wick in that water twice more. Both times I got bit! :shocked:

Glory hole#1:

Ordered the top dawg softball bat for my oldest February 14 using the "Make an Offer" option and crushed it. Big winner. It listed economy shipping, estimated delivery Feb. 16-March 13. They never gave a tracking #.

Emailed them Feb 21 when I don't see a tracking#. No response. Email again a few days later. No response. Call and ask. They say, oh that bat was back ordered & won't be here til the 10th. Mad!

Ask why "U NO RESPOND" to my email. She says "Oh, we respond through Outlook. Check your junk mail."
Lie!

Call again on 13th, still no tracking #. Oh, that size was not supposed to come on the 10th. I said the 16th. She finally sends me 1 direct email with a tracking # and I insisted she send me copies of the email responses. Nope.

Glory hole #2:Cell phone LCD screen busted. Ordered a new one from "Connecticut" It was garbled when I installed it. Piece of cake to install. Sent it back. The company kept communicating outside EBay with me and in broken ENGRISH (despite all the EBay docs that state customers should NEVER discuss anything outside Ebay's email system.

Glory hole #1: Company in Arizona whose site looks like a miniature Amazon, but is really just waiting for your money to buy stuff and then ship it to you whenever they feel like it.

Glory hole #2: Asian lead poisoning direct mail shipper fronting like their local good old boys.

Last edited:

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
Ebay is hit and miss. I have had scores and big losses. There are a ton of Issue #2 out there, not just on ebay but also Amazon and Google.

rockofullr

confused
Jun 11, 2009
East Bay, Cali
Just be smart. I always look into ebay sellers before bidding. If in doubt I usually send them a simple question to test their customer service.

If there is ever a delay or problem I immediately cut my losses and file a claim.

eaterofdog

ass grabber
Sep 8, 2006
Central Florida
As soon as two weeks has passed, you can file an item not shipped complaint with ebay. A common scam is to string you along until the feedback period has passed.

Repack Rider

Monkey
Oct 8, 2007
Marin County, California
EBay been very good to me. I made about $1000 in the last month selling 25-year old copies of the Fat Tire Flyer. 100% positive.

No way I'm making that money other than EBay where a lot of people all over the country see what I'm selling..

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
Over your shoulder whispering
The screen I had to have re-sent to me drove me nuts. They wanted me to mail it back on my own dime and I said no way. It cost $17 and shipping back was $5. Took them 2 weeks to get me a USPS shipping label emailed. They kept saying "It has been emailed to your address on file".
Good news is it now has fixed my shattered LCD and my phone is back to new. 3 months later than it should have.

Bat showed up at the house yesterday with no warranty card and had to call the company to make sure the company is actually an authorized dealer. Company name on my receipt is "Masscloseouts LLC", but all contact and the store itself is Arcadia Sports, an authorized dealer." Carbon composite bats are notorious for splitting.

eaterofdog That's exactly what both companies were trying to do, you can tell. Avoid any contact that would out them through the EBay email system and avoid the 2 week period.