Quantcast

eccentric BB or sliding dropouts

jej

Chimp
Feb 1, 2005
SD, So cal
Hey,
I'm building a custom singlespeed, I'd like to know what are the pros-cons for an eccentric BB or for some sliding dropouts. What is the more robust, reliable..etc.Thanks

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
The eccentric BB has the huge advantage of a static rear axle, so there is no playing with brake adjustment (and you can convert easily back to gears). But I have heard the eBB will creak.

Also, I would put the rotation adjustment on the left side, not the right, for easy access as the chainrings will get in the way.

peter6061

Turbo Monkey
Nov 19, 2001
Kenmore, WA
I'm on my second EBB at this point. They do creak after a while, but nothing ten minutes of work doesn't take care of. Did mine in the parking lot of the trailhead last week with three tools.

I will say, I like the two-bolt systems better than the wedges for ease of adjustment.

First frame was a C-dale 1FG. Now running a Niner SIR9.

BikeGeek

BrewMonkey
Jul 2, 2001
Hershey, PA
Those are NICE looking sliding dropouts! I have something similar, with the disc tabs machined as part of the dropout. I like the concept a lot, but am almost ready to give up on mine. They don't have an integrated tug and the tugs they came with are junk. Those look solid.

MMcG

Ride till you puke!
Dec 10, 2002
Burlington, Connecticut
Those are NICE looking sliding dropouts! I have something similar, with the disc tabs machined as part of the dropout. I like the concept a lot, but am almost ready to give up on mine. They don't have an integrated tug and the tugs they came with are junk. Those look solid.

BG - are you having trouble with your Inbred?

frorider

Monkey
Jul 21, 2004
cali
experienced SS'ers told me to use Ti anti sieze paste on the EBB---works better than grease. my EBB has been creak - free...i probably have less than 500 miles on it though.

anyway, i've been using the anti sieze paste on other parts for over a decade, and it is very tenacious stuff. so i'm not expecting any issues.

i like the clean design of an EBB bike.

Feb 13, 2006
Not all sliding dropout setups require rear brake adjustments when you move the wheel.

On-One Inbreds from 2006 have a nice system that has sliding dropouts with the rear wheel sliding along with the dropouts. Pretty slick.

I think it depends on which one you are more inclined to be willing to work with. Do you want to work with getting an eccentric BB rotated to tension your chain, or do you want to do it at the back wheel.

When done by a good frame builder, there is no functional difference i the quality of the ride of the bike, other than the fact that an EBB bike puts a bit more weight at the BB and **might** feel a little more planted or stable as a result. **might.**

johnnyru

Monkey
Feb 20, 2004
Slingerlands, NY
EBB all the way. I like the ability to change gears without changing the way the bike performs on the trail, regarding chainstay length. I think it makes it more aesthetically pleasing to the eye...no funny stuff going on at the rear of the bike...but that's me.

ito

Mr. Schwinn Effing Armstrong
Oct 3, 2003
Avoiding the nine to five
Between the two I'd go EBB, but I'm still a huge fan of track style dropouts. Larger amount of adjustments means that I can run my 13t track cog and my 18t freewheel without changing chains/chainrings.

I also prefer a simpler bike with less moving parts. EBB is just another thing to go wrong (though they appear fairly robust).

All that said I'm having my Draco hardtail converted to an EBB (assuming John can figure out a way to do it). It is a clean set up and I have never liked the look of sliding dropouts.

Track dropouts are the way to go though.

The Ito

zebrahum

Monkey
Jun 22, 2005
SL,UT
I'm with ito, I can't stand when a bike makes noise and EBBs are just too much work to keep quiet at all times. Simple is best. Both do the job, but I'm partial to horizontal drops.