Quantcast

Echo and ghostrider hit Fort Ord CA

ghostrider

7034 miles, still no custom title
Jan 6, 2003
Shadows of Mt Boney, CA.
Echo and I were in the Monterey area last week for a family reunion, and we got some time to ride some trails in Fort Ord. We both raced Sea Otter around here about 10 years ago but too many beers since left us with little memory. We were pleasantly surprised by the fun factor and I think if you are in the area you should give the place a try. We got a bonus at Laguna Seca with cars on track for some sort of Porsche event.

ghostrider approved trails:
Goat Trail (Trail 41 - ride it in the downhill direction west to east) http://fortordpubliclands.org/trail_41.htm
Couch Canyon (Trail 47) http://fortordpubliclands.org/trail_47.htm

And on to the pics:

Echo

crooked smile
Jul 10, 2002
Slacking at work
On the map we noticed something called "Hurl Hill". Of course we had to go find it. Pfft, whoever named that hill obviously has never climbed a real hill :D

After having ridden every damn trail within a couple hours of my house literally hundreds of times, it was awesome to ride some different trails. Riding with my bro made it even cooler!

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
Sweet pics. I've done some 24 hour racing out there, including a solo. Those pics bring back lots of good and painful memories. Looks super dry out there, all that brown is green earlier in the year.

On the map we noticed something called "Hurl Hill". Of course we had to go find it. Pfft, whoever named that hill obviously has never climbed a real hill :D
True, it's not bad, but kinda steep and pretty tough as you get into the later part of a 24 race, especially with lots of people stepping off and blocking the trail. The 12th time up is pretty hard...

ghostrider

Jan 6, 2003
Shadows of Mt Boney, CA.
I almost forgot: Across the street from Fort Ord is a place called Toro Regional Park, which claims to have mountain bike trails. Echo and I checked it out and I can't recommend the place. We did a nice long fireroad grunt to some peak, but any singletrack that looked like fun (including the ones that we rode) all had the same name: "No Bikes".

Echo

crooked smile
Jul 10, 2002
Slacking at work
True, it's not bad, but kinda steep and pretty tough as you get into the later part of a 24 race, especially with lots of people stepping off and blocking the trail. The 12th time up is pretty hard...
Yeah we did discuss the fact that in a multi-lap race it would suck to hammer up it. I just felt like talking smack :busted:

cliffster5

In dog years I'm dead
Aug 23, 2001
Salinas, CA
On last weekend's 24 hr. race they actually had us doing Couch Canyon reversed. Hurl Hill feels like just a dip in the trail riding down. Coming back up to the race track was steep and slippery. The ruts and sand in that place can really make for a different ride depending on the time of the year. The Sea Otter 2 years ago was an absolute mud-fest. Did you guys run into any coyotes? Did you venture over to East Garrison's single track region? Glad you both had a good time.

ghostrider

Jan 6, 2003
Shadows of Mt Boney, CA.
On last weekend's 24 hr. race they actually had us doing Couch Canyon reversed. Hurl Hill feels like just a dip in the trail riding down. Coming back up to the race track was steep and slippery. The ruts and sand in that place can really make for a different ride depending on the time of the year. The Sea Otter 2 years ago was an absolute mud-fest. Did you guys run into any coyotes? Did you venture over to East Garrison's single track region? Glad you both had a good time.
Nope, we never made it over there. We wasted too much time goofing off at the race track.