Quantcast

TN

Hey baby, want a hot dog?
Jul 9, 2002
Jimtown, CO
Does anyone have a plan if the **** hits fan (layoffs)?

We are having voluntary wage reductions @ work & I am thinking the Gypsy-life would be sweet if it really gets bad. Just pack up the bikes, dogs & skis & say screw the rest then hit the road. Work here & there, camp a lot, until we find a place to call home or want to move on.

Or it may be a fine opportunity to learn to drive a big rig.

stoney

Part of the unwashed, middle-American horde
Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
Setting aside enough to get 6-months of living expenses in cash. Dropping our expenditures would stretch that to ~9-months assuming no job and unemployment. With that, we could easily get over a year on savings alone.

I'm also buying a shotgun and likely a handgun for self-defense in our house. Crime has been escalating in our neighborhood...

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
Having a house and a kid doesn't allow us much in the way of flexability. My wife is a teacher so more than likely she won't lose her job until the country collapses.

I have however been prepping my car.

Good thing he had an Australian Cattle Dog with him.

CBJ

year old fart
Mar 19, 2002
Copenhagen, Denmark
Does anyone have a plan if the **** hits fan (layoffs)?

We are having voluntary wage reductions @ work & I am thinking the Gypsy-life would be sweet if it really gets bad. Just pack up the bikes, dogs & skis & say screw the rest then hit the road. Work here & there, camp a lot, until we find a place to call home or want to move on.

Or it may be a fine opportunity to learn to drive a big rig.
I thought you did this already ;)

What do you do that makes you want to live like a Gypsy? Sweet Gypsy life only exist in the movies anyway.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Since I bought my house 10 years ago my expenses have been dropped due to refinancing the mortgage and finishing off student loans. My salary has increased quite a bit so I have a nice chunk of savings, although having more post tax saving would be nice right now. By cutting a few costs I could get along for more than a year unemployed as long as I get the normal severance package. I would also have the time to sell all the crap I've been collecting but haven't had the time to try and sell.

nelsonjm

Monkey
Feb 16, 2007
Columbia, MD
This is what I would do in progression of how bad it gets and assuming moving anywhere in the world won't improve the situation:

-Already have a few months savings built up while I look for another.
-Cut back on services I have (telephone, cable tv) to pay for individual health plan.
-Cut back job expectations and focus on just getting a job.
-Get out of my apartment or share rent.
-Start selling furniture, entertainment items (tv)
-Load up on bear mace, firearms, and traps.
-Buy a truck cap, move everything into my truck and live out of it.
-Obtain camping equipment+water treatment items, stock up on fuel, oil+spare parts.
-Move somewhere incredibly remote.
-Find bigfoot.

TN

Jul 9, 2002
Jimtown, CO
:wtf:

How's that working out?

No kids, pack it up and roam.
They are giving the option to buy a week of time off.

CBJ- I've got alternative living quarters taken care of until late March....rent free. :D
...and I am chained to a computer all day making television.

We have simplified our lives substantially in the last two years, but for different reasons.

Last edited:

ire

Turbo Monkey
Aug 6, 2007
Getting a fat chick from the local trailer park preggo then sell the baby.
Why sell it? Those are welfare gold....have a few of em and you won't have to work for the next 18 years

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
All you need now is a mute long haired little boy that can sling a boomerang, and you are set for world domination.
(that character ruled)
Maybe a hot mute chick that could sling a boomerang would be better... wait no that wouldn't work either.

Serial Midget

Al Bundy
Jun 25, 2002
Fort of Rio Grande
I have a severance package that guarantees 6 months salary & 12 months health insurance just so long as I remain in "good standing", however... this only applies if the company doesn't offer a relocation. I would be SOL if I declined the transfer.

For the last year I have been buying quarter ounce Canadian Maple Leaf coins when I can get them under $225.00 - I'm saving those for AFTER the black helicopters arrive. :)

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Why sell it? Those are welfare gold....have a few of em and you won't have to work for the next 18 years

I wouldn't get the checks. Can't trust the welfare mom not to spend all the dough on frozen pizzas and QVC.

Last edited:

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
worst case i'd perform my job for bartered goods and food. :D

you want a CT scan? that'll be a week's worth of meals, buddy!

CRoss

Turbo Monkey
Nov 20, 2006
The Ranch
I am just going to buy myself a sweet rain poncho. That way when the **** hits the fan I will not get covered in little pieces of ****. :D

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
i'm so bad at being employed, I'd probably wind up joining the military. I have three years of experience in NOTHING...makes it hard to compete with people who actually have a focused professional background in something legitimate.

TN

Jul 9, 2002
Jimtown, CO
Don't worry guys, a recession is the least of our worries. According to one Russian analyst, the US is going to break up in 2010.
I read an article about him yesterday. If he is right I am moving to the east coast so I can be a part of the EU. :happydance: