Quantcast

economical fork suggestion needed

Aug 22, 2002
My main ride is a Banshee Chaparral with Sherman Flick. Love the bike and fork.

I ride a Kona Firemountain to work and I have decided I want to put a decent fork on it so I can use it on trail too...so I am looking for some suggestions.

Here is some additional info:
I am 6'2" 190 pounds.
I do not race (well I have done a 24 hour team relay)
I just want it for xc/trail riding on technical trails with lots of climbing and descending.
Would like some descent adjustability.
Would prefer oil/spring not air

XC Forks I have owned, indy C long travel, Manitou EX, Judy Sl. I found them all a little "twiggy" feeling.

I would love to get anouth Flick but I don't want to spend that much.
Thanks for all the responses.

Aug 22, 2002
Originally posted by xbluethunderx
Are you looking into new or used? What kind of budget are we looking at, 200 bucks?
Yeah, 2 hun would be OK. I would buy used if it were it good shape.

wooglin

Monkey
Apr 4, 2002
SC
Rigid fork with big fat honkin rubber. Great for tech chit. Goes right where you point it.

jacksonpt

Turbo Monkey
Jul 22, 2002
Vestal, NY
Manitou Black is probably the best new fork you can get for that kind of money. A few online places have them on clearance for $199.

henrymiller

Monkey
May 4, 2002
Denver-A-Go-Go
Originally posted by wooglin
Rigid fork with big fat honkin rubber. Great for tech chit. Goes right where you point it.
I would second that. I bet your lbs would give you a rigid fork for free or maybe 10 bucks.

I prefer the kona p2, but I am a rigid fork snob.

Think of the money you would save.

ghostrider

7034 miles, still no custom title
Jan 6, 2003
Shadows of Mt Boney, CA.
Originally posted by jacksonpt
Manitou Black is probably the best new fork you can get for that kind of money. A few online places have them on clearance for $199.
I was gonna say that too, except that he says he weighs 190 - I don't think the stock springs in a Black would work for him. Also, I would stay away from used forks unless you have the tools and know-how to fix em.

dfinn

Turbo Monkey
Jul 24, 2003
SL, UT
check out my used Fox Float 100RL that I have for sale. I am 6' and around 240 lbs and it was silky smooth for me for XC riding. Plenty stiff yet very plush also.

jacksonpt

Turbo Monkey
Jul 22, 2002
Vestal, NY
Originally posted by ghostrider
I was gonna say that too, except that he says he weighs 190 - I don't think the stock springs in a Black would work for him. Also, I would stay away from used forks unless you have the tools and know-how to fix em.
From what I've heard, the stock springs are too soft for most people. You can get beefier springs for about $30.

Aug 22, 2002
thanks for all the suggestions.

Rigid sounds like a good idea except I have wrist "issues". I need some koosh...I'm a whimp.