Quantcast

Editing software

MikeD

Leader and Demogogue of the Ridemonkey Satinists
Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
Have an iBook G4. Hate iPhoto and need a basic image editor to resize and do simple levels adjustments, burning, dodging, etc.

Elements for Mac is what I'm planning on, but figured I'd ask what else I should consider...I'm an old film guy and not too fancy with this stuff.

(I want a program that will handle .raw, though...IIRC my old Windows Elements didn't do that and I had to use full Photoshop instead.)

Thx,

MD

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
use your camera's software for converting raw to DNG, TIFF, or JPG.

i haven't used Elements, GIMP, or Phase 1...i'm pretty much a photoshop user, and have started to use Canon's DPP a bit because the version of PS i have (CS 3) doesn't support the 5DmkII RAW files (unless you convert them to DNG).

blue

boob hater
Jan 24, 2004
california
Lightroom x 10149817589157915, but it's a massive resource hog and may kill your little iBook.

Much better tool for photogs than just Photochop, IMHO. Editing, cataloging, RAW conversion all in one.

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
Lightroom x 10149817589157915, but it's a massive resource hog and may kill your little iBook.

Much better tool for photogs than just Photochop, IMHO. Editing, cataloging, RAW conversion all in one.
i never used layer masking in PS basically because i didn't know how and didn't want to spend the time learning, but recently i started playing around w/ the Nikant stuff (Viveza, Color Efex Pro, Silver Efex Pro) and they make it so much easier...it can really make a difference in yr images.

blue

boob hater
Jan 24, 2004
california
i never used layer masking in PS basically because i didn't know how and didn't want to spend the time learning, but recently i started playing around w/ the Nikant stuff (Viveza, Color Efex Pro, Silver Efex Pro) and they make it so much easier...it can really make a difference in yr images.
I'm moderately familiar with Color/Silver Efex and they haven't really impressed me that much (I've found I can get similar effects out of LR)...what are you layer masking with concert pics?

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
I really like Photoshop Elements. It's got all the basic features of Photoshop that the average user needs, in a familiar layout/interface, for a lot less money. I'd say stick with Elements.

H8R

Cranky Pants
Nov 10, 2004
GIMP + UFRAW = TEH AWESOME.

My workflow is creamy dreamy.

jerseydirt

Turbo Monkey
May 6, 2007
dirty jerz
Photoshop cs 3. Elements is like working with imovie. After you get the hang of imovie, it really sucks, then you want to upgrade to final cut. After you get more advanced you are going to want a better program.

Quo Fan

don't make me kick your ass
Just like photo equipment, if the less expensive stuff is working for you, then you use what you got.

Use Elements until you figure out that the program is limiting your creativity. Then download the full version of Photoshop and give it a test run. You get the full, unencumbered program for trial, it is only time limited to 30 days from first install.

MikeD

Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
I don't own Elements for the Mac...just been using iPhoto, so I need to get something new anyhow. PSP got me a line on a good deal with Lightroom, so I'm going to give it a shot...I hope the book can handle the program! I hadn't considered that...

If it doesn't work out I'll get a copy of Elements.

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
I'm moderately familiar with Color/Silver Efex and they haven't really impressed me that much (I've found I can get similar effects out of LR)...what are you layer masking with concert pics?
check out some of the sets i processed from the Scion Fest...i like the ability to change contrast and color on a localized basis quite a bit...i never really used layer masks at all, and the control points are like layer masking for dummies.

the b/w stuff is kinda neat in that it simulates a bunch of old b/w film looks. there are a lot of other controls you can do as well.

MikeD

Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
Would one of the Mac Minis be decent for doing basic photo editing, albiet on RAW files?

I really haven't kept up with the tech since the days of the Pentium II, so I don't know what it all means in the practical world.

But the Mini is cheap and can plug into my LCD TV and existing accessories (and a huge external HD)...thought it might be a good option now that I've been using this Mac laptop as a primary computer for a few years.

blue

boob hater
Jan 24, 2004
california
Yes. I run LR on my gf's MacBook with the same specs often. It's not as fast as my desktop, but I definitely wouldn't call it slow or inadequate. It'll blow your iBook away.

MikeD

Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
Thanks again to PSP for a great line on Lightroom. Just installed it and it's looking like a great program--it'll be a learning curve for me, though.

I think I'll need to get that new computer to go along with it. iBook is working, but I can smell smoke coming from my processor.