Quantcast

Editing Software

ianjenn

Turbo Monkey
Sep 12, 2006
SLO
PS 3-5 Photoshop if you want 100% editing ability. The new Elements 10 looks decent and is much cheaper......

dump

Turbo Monkey
Oct 12, 2001
If you have a mac, it comes installed with iPhoto and iMovie - both of which should get you going and do good work. I definitely don't recommend photoshop for casual/beginning users - not to mention the price.

Acadian

Born Again Newbie
Sep 5, 2001
Blah Blah and Blah
It really depends what you are looking to achieve.

Photoshop is an image-manipuation program and it's strength is very detailed post-processing (beyond simple corrections). With Lightroom you can do basic corrections, but things like selections, layers, masks, blending, batch processing etc. are features exclusive to Photoshop. In addition, in PS you can work with CMYK.

Lightroom is a photo management and RAW converter application with some added photo adjustment features. It specializes in QUICK handling of raw images.

Photoshop does everything Lightroom does, but not vice versa. If you mostly shoot RAW and just want to do quick sorting and basic image editing - Lightroom is all you need.

I know folks that use Lightroom + Photoshop Elements.

djjohnr

Turbo Monkey
Apr 21, 2002
Northern California
If you're using a digital camera Lightroom alone will be fine for you while you learn, and is probably the best of the less expensive options. New it's currently on sale for $200. After you've been at it for awhile you can decide if you want to add Photoshop - a decision that may be based on A) Desire to do more local editing B) Need for more printing options C) Working on large files (I work on scanned 4x5 files, which Lightroom can't really handle) D) Needing to do negative film conversions E) Need to work in other color spaces like LAB or CMYK.

Last edited:

ianjenn

Turbo Monkey
Sep 12, 2006
SLO
Aug 25, 2011
West Milford, NJ, 'MERICA
Thats a Sequence Shot. I have done them a few times using photoshop stacking the images and brushing out everything on each except the rider. Not sure if you can do it with CHEAPER PS versions or not. GIMP may be worth looking into also.
I have always scene these done and LOVED them. Never new what they were called or how they were made. Now i Do. Thank