Quantcast

"Education"

rideit

Bob the Builder
Aug 24, 2004
In the cleavage of the Tetons
One of my old girlfriends was a social worker in Gallup for 16 years. Amazing stories, of both profoundly good and horrible things. She is amazing, as you can imagine. Lives in Alaska now, working with native populations.

stoney

Part of the unwashed, middle-American horde
Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
Gallup is a pretty sick town.

I'd be intrigued to see the % of the population of students that are native vs. % of board/teachers that are native. My instinct says there is a heavy disparity...

ebarker9

Monkey
Oct 2, 2007
Admittedly it's been a very long time since I read that book and I'm not sure how much of that material was included, but just reading the Wikipedia article, it sure sounds like the "offensive" parts are integral to the whole point of reading it in the first place. This is someone that was the same age as the students reading the book, who had the same awkward questions and experiences, laughed at the same "dirty" jokes, and was just trying to figure life out. The relatability is the point and eliminating pieces that make a handful of people uncomfortable completely undercuts that.

I know I'm preaching to the choir here, but this stuff is just so infuriating.

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
Admittedly it's been a very long time since I read that book and I'm not sure how much of that material was included, but just reading the Wikipedia article, it sure sounds like the "offensive" parts are integral to the whole point of reading it in the first place. This is someone that was the same age as the students reading the book, who had the same awkward questions and experiences, laughed at the same "dirty" jokes, and was just trying to figure life out. The relatability is the point and eliminating pieces that make a handful of people uncomfortable completely undercuts that.

I know I'm preaching to the choir here, but this stuff is just so infuriating.
The more you talk about genitals/sex/etc, the more sex kids are going to have!

:rolleyes:

mykel

closer to Periwinkle
Apr 19, 2013
sw ontario canada
GOP Logic:

Genocide: OK

Peens and vagoos: Not OK.

Yup, had that discussion many times and never understood. Why it is ok in primetime to see murders with blood and gore, but a nipple....you'd think the world was ending...

Puritans who were a minority and still are, are to this day still in the drivers seat.