Quantcast

Eff Berkeley

Discussion in 'Politics & World News' started by manimal, Feb 9, 2008.

1. manimal

manimal Ociffer Tackleberry

Rep/Likes:
    7 / 13
    http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,327347,00.html

Disagree with war = ok
    Protest those who have the sack to protect you = :dead:

i don't understand the mentality, protesting individual soldiers in vietnam did nothing but polarize the country. it seems the city council has overstepped its boundaries on this one.

this is a segment of an email sent to the mayor from a developer regarding this BS:

#1 -   Feb 9, 2008

Please register to disable this ad.

2. Silver

Silver find me a tampon

Rep/Likes:
    10 / 0
    Of course, there is no one more honest than a military recruiting officer...

How much success do you think they have in Berkeley? I'd imagine it's rather like trying to hawk Michael Behe books at a Richard Dawkins speech.

I think it might have something to do with the fact that in Vietnam many of the soldiers were drafted. I've said before that enlisting in the United States armed forces in the last 20 years isn't exactly a morally neutral decision. The chances that you are going to get sent to kill poor brown people somewhere are decent, wouldn't you say?

#2 -   Feb 9, 2008
  3. valve bouncer

valve bouncer Master Dildoist

Rep/Likes:
    9 / 16
    I remember the one and only time the military came to my high school in 1986. It was a voluntary talk, but you got out of a class, so I went.
    The first question the bloke asked was "What do you think the worst part of being in the military would be?" After much prompting someone finally ventured, "you might have to be in a war". Correct he said, the main focus of the armed forces is to defend your country with your life if necessary. That made a great impression on me. I hope in Australia they still have that message. I hope in the US that is what they emphasize. Take it from there, don't coerce.

#3 -   Feb 9, 2008
  4. 3D.

3D. Monkey

Rep/Likes:
    0 / 0
    Common knowledge tells you that not all modern wars are fought for means of self defense.

This type of stuff is going to create serious disharmonies in most communities, but many are growing tired of the modern war machine... cutting out a recruiting station is small potatoes.

#4 -   Feb 9, 2008
  5. sanjuro

sanjuro Tube Smuggler

Rep/Likes:
    7 / 0
    I know this is tying an unrelated topic, but while I disagree with Berkeley's logic for removing the recruiting office, I despise all the military's recruitment advertising, from video game warfare to Capraesque family appeal.

Frankly, until the military stops advertising, I think the only alternative is to limit actual recruiting.

#5 -   Feb 9, 2008
  6. drkenan

drkenan anti-dentite

Rep/Likes:
    5 / 0
    Check the update:

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,329866,00.html

While it's pretty ridiculous that Berkeley city council would do that, it's also even more ridiculous that Jim DeMint and other republicans are trying to cut FEDERAL money to them. Try explaining to the elementary school kids that their school is in a budget crisis because their town is being punished by the federal government. :crazy:

#6 -   Feb 9, 2008
  7. Westy

Westy the teste

Rep/Likes:
    446 / 2,841
    I grew up in a military family and my parents wanted me to join, but when I turned 18 the Marine recruiters in the area were so ****ing aggressive it was pretty much harassment. My parents almost called the cops on them several times. Phone calls all day every day. When they came to the house they would literally stick the foot in the door and would not leave when asked. I had friends who experienced the same thing in other areas. If the Berkely office did that regularly I could see why they would want them gone. It is complete BS if it is just for political reasons.

#7 -   Feb 9, 2008
  8. manimal

Rep/Likes:
    7 / 13
    you are correct but that does not negate the need for a well trained and prepared military. therefore, preventing the recruiting process, however barbaric, does nothing but weaken the defense capabilities. i personally would prefer that we do something more like israel and have mandatory service as part of the social structure. we are benefited by having an all volunteer military that allows for those who are willing to fight do so. those that choose to join do so at their own sacrifice, (ie: deployment, low pay, subordination) but they are also not without the benefit of outstanding training. so do these extreme leftards just not understand the need for a military. if there problem is with the methods of recruiting than they need to take their concern higher up, pissing off an entire nation of veterans by pulling the welcome mat out from under the most loyal service is not a good political move as evidenced by the mayor's apology.

and silver:
    yes, one stands a pretty good chance of combat action these days but it doesn't take much digging to realize that there are a lot of people, of many colors :rolleyes: , who wish to have a chance to kill 'ole roundeye. so i guess it all boils down to the barbarism of kill or be killed in the end ?

#8 -   Feb 9, 2008
  9. Dartman

Dartman Old Bastard Mike

Rep/Likes:
    5 / 0
    Do they really want hippies from Berkley in the Corps?

I suppose they could be on point.

#9 -   Feb 9, 2008
  10. JohnE

JohnE filthy rascist

Rep/Likes:
    147 / 642
    Manimal, I would agree on the mandatory service. But not neccesarily military service. As a career NCO, I have to deal with enough retards as it is. I would not want ones who are only there because they have to be, marking time and collecting a paycheck til ETS. Make it some kind of social service like Germany does it (Work a hospital, old folks home, road crew or whatever.) or military. I knwo you know that there are enough slackers in all the branches, we dont need any more!

And Berkely, well, its Berkely. No one would miss it if it fell off into the ocean...

11. Silver

Silver find me a tampon

Rep/Likes:
    10 / 0
    Yeah, it's probably got nothing at all to do with a global network of military bases, invading Iraq when the problem was really Saudi Arabia and Pakistan, aggressive and unfair trade policies, and political polices that have propped up dicatators all over the world when it's good for our pocketbooks.

After all, everyone hates Canada and Sweden and Norway and Iceland...

12. blue

blue boob hater

Rep/Likes:
    2 / 0

13. skinny mike

skinny mike Turbo Monkey

Rep/Likes:
    0 / 0
    yeah, um, **** that ****. i'm not going to risk my life to do my government's dirty work.

14. manimal

Rep/Likes:
    7 / 13
    yes, i agree. some form of structured, team building training and service would suffice. military is definitely not for everyone but it would be nice if everyone at least gave back to their country in some form instead of bitching about how much it doesn't suit their personal agenda.

15. 1453

1453 Monkey

Rep/Likes:
    0 / 0
    the Marine Corps recruitment office is down the street(2 blocks) from Berkeley High School, which is a predominantly black high school. Not many Hippies there other than a few kids of the flower children.

That being said, I have absolutely no problem with it being there. It is a very low key place. I would rather have the high school graduates having that option(on a voluntary basis) open than what's happening to those who join "street oriented youth social organizations" out of high school.

16. 3D.

3D. Monkey

Rep/Likes:
    0 / 0
    We already have a larger military budget than all the other countries of the world combined.

Christ man, how much fvcking self defense do we need.

17. manimal

Rep/Likes:
    7 / 13
    ..as a former intel analyst......

you have no idea!

18. N8 v2.0

N8 v2.0 Not the sharpest tool in the shed

Rep/Likes:
    18 / 149
    fuk Berkley.

19. Plummit

Plummit Monkey

Rep/Likes:
    0 / 0
    and Toledo! MSNBC

20. $tinkle

$tinkle Expert on blowing

Rep/Likes:
    4 / 5
    this should put into perspective how short-sighted & willfully ignorant code pinko is:
    get back in the kitchen & burn something.
    like your bra.

21. H8R

H8R Cranky Pants

Rep/Likes:
    7 / 4
    Depends. How many people have you pissed off?

22. Fonzie18

Fonzie18 Turbo Monkey

Rep/Likes:
    5 / 0
    Northern Mexico, Chulajuana (619). Orale!
    Hah, I just clicked out of this thread and...whoa! navy advertisement that totally took over my screen! Sweet.

23. manimal

Rep/Likes:
    7 / 13
    friggin puss of a mayor, can't even do it himself. is the mayor afraid that people might see the marines training and remember that there is a war going on? wtf?! in WWII, people were rationing their metals and food but now it's an inconvenience to let them train?
    Rome is falling.

24. chicodude

chicodude The Spooninator

Rep/Likes:
    3 / 1
    Yeah, but there is a big difference there. WWII=Actual threat to our safety and to the well being of the world. This cluster**** we are a part of now has no effect on either of those two.

It is sickening the lengths they will go to recruit high school kids. They came into our class once a month to talk to us, They would show up with a rock wall or a stockcar parked on the front lawn at least once a week. The had obstacle courses in the gym etc. its one thing to recruit, its another give the kids a false impression of what they are getting into.

25. skinny mike

skinny mike Turbo Monkey

Rep/Likes:
    0 / 0
    we were attacked by another sovereign nation, it's quite a bit different now.

unless of course you actually think some sovereign country did attack us, but i would hope that you are smarter than that.

26. Echo

Echo crooked smile

Rep/Likes:
    5 / 1
    Recruiters are the scum of the earth. They will tell you anything to get you to join.

So the question is, what is worse:

1) Mandatory military service for everyone; or

2) Deceptive advertising and trickery to get people to join?

I'm not going to sit here and judge the Berkeley city council. I think there are some very compelling reasons not to want a recruiting office.

27. N8 v2.0

Rep/Likes:
    18 / 149

Oh come on... everyone knows recruiters lie... as do used car salesmen... and lawyers.

You knew when you signed up as did I and the rest of us.

But I did get the rating school I wanted and go in the SeaBees so I don't feel resentful. The morons who enlisted as non-designated strikers (usually SN's and FN's) got what they mostly deserved for not doing a minimal amount of homework before signing the dotted line.

28. jimmydean

jimmydean The Official Meat of Ridemonkey

Rep/Likes:
    175 / 1,551
    :stupid:

A good friend of mine who was an amazing soldier was talked into recruiting duty. He took it thinking it would be a lot more family friendly of a work schedule. He failed to make his numbers because he refused to put people in under false pretenses while refusing to let others join for the wrong reasons.

He was relieved of his duties and is currently looking to leave the military all together after seeing what goes on from that side of the fence.

I understand why some people would not want recruiters around. It's not like kids who are thinking about joining don't know where to look.

29. Silver

Silver find me a tampon

Rep/Likes:
    10 / 0
    Number #1 is worse. You can combat #2 with some basic education about how the world works.

30. N8 v2.0

Rep/Likes:
    18 / 149
  31. $tinkle

Rep/Likes:
    4 / 5
    tell me what you understand about the effects on society & rule of law with respect to the spread of islamic extremism in the following secular societies:
    - u.k.
    - france
    - netherlands
    - thailand

no detail is too great.

32. $tinkle

Rep/Likes:
    4 / 5
    cuts both ways.
    i knew quite a few fellow airmen who also partook in volumes otherwise precluding them from service.

33. Echo

Echo crooked smile

Rep/Likes:
    5 / 1
    Everyone lies about how much reefer they smoked in high school.

Trying to equate that to the promises recruiters make is ridiculous.

34. $tinkle

Rep/Likes:
    4 / 5
    yeah, you'd have to be high to believe them.

35. $tinkle

Rep/Likes:
    4 / 5
    thought i recognized this mayor's name...

from 14 yrs back: Ohio Mayor Regrets Remark on Deafness
    this would make perfect sense if this judgment were handed down by PAWN posters.

36. jimmydean

Rep/Likes:
    175 / 1,551
    I remember being completely honest on my "application" about what I had used and to what extent. After I gave it to my recruiter, he gave it to the Master Chief who gave me a good talking to. It went something like this:

"As far as I know, you have never even considered drugs of any kind, I would like your application to reflect that."

I filled out a new application saying I had never done anything ever. He said as long as I stuck to that, MEPS wouldn't know any different.

37. Secret Squirrel

Secret Squirrel There is no Justice!

Rep/Likes:
    5 / 0
    There was this one psillosibin trip...man...when the sky unzipped...I wasn't waitin' around for what came next...

38. BurlyShirley

BurlyShirley Rex Grossman Will Rise Again

Rep/Likes:
    6 / 1
    My recruiter was a total jackass. Constantly did crap like buy liquor for kids, would f*ck around with the young girls, talked crap all day long...man was that guy irritating.
    Once he called me and said, "If anyone comes around asking if you know I bought liquor for anyone, tell them no."
    Bad part is...he was actually a pretty decent representative sample of most the people I met in the service.

39. MMike

MMike A fowl peckerwood.

Rep/Likes:
    61 / 84

Wait wait wait.....you mean to say that every single dude in uniform is not a GI Joe, Charlie-fighting hero?? With pearly white teeth, wanting nothing but to spread freedom to the world?

40. jimmydean

Rep/Likes:
    175 / 1,551
    I spread some serious freedom on West Pac. Especially in the Philippines, I don't think I have spread that much freedom since.