Quantcast

Eff Berkeley

manimal

Ociffer Tackleberry
Feb 27, 2002
Blindly running into cactus
http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,327347,00.html

The City Council has voted to tell the Marines their downtown recruiting station is not welcome and "if recruiters choose to stay, they do so as uninvited and unwelcome guests."
In a separate item, the council voted, also 8-1, to give protest group Code Pink a parking space in front of the recruiting office once a week for six months and a free sound permit for protesting once a week.
Disagree with war = ok
Protest those who have the sack to protect you = :dead:

i don't understand the mentality, protesting individual soldiers in vietnam did nothing but polarize the country. it seems the city council has overstepped its boundaries on this one.

this is a segment of an email sent to the mayor from a developer regarding this BS:

Trust me when I say that having been in the real estate development
business for over 35 years, our list of contacts and associates is long
and very, very impressive. We, and I personally, are going to recomend
that they ALL along with us boycott your city, its purveyors, suppliers, and
businesses and CHARITIES of every kind. You have every right to choose to take the obnoxious anti-military stance you have taken, and as stated, that right was bought for you with the blood of better men than you.

I too have every right to do all that I can to insure that your city
suffers consequences arising from that obnoxious, sickening stance.

Cordially,
Brian G Dennard
Principal Director
Meridian Development Group, LLC

Silver

find me a tampon
Jul 20, 2002
Orange County, CA
Of course, there is no one more honest than a military recruiting officer...

How much success do you think they have in Berkeley? I'd imagine it's rather like trying to hawk Michael Behe books at a Richard Dawkins speech.

manimal said:
i don't understand the mentality, protesting individual soldiers in vietnam did nothing but polarize the country.
I think it might have something to do with the fact that in Vietnam many of the soldiers were drafted. I've said before that enlisting in the United States armed forces in the last 20 years isn't exactly a morally neutral decision. The chances that you are going to get sent to kill poor brown people somewhere are decent, wouldn't you say?

valve bouncer

Master Dildoist
Feb 11, 2002
Japan
I remember the one and only time the military came to my high school in 1986. It was a voluntary talk, but you got out of a class, so I went.
The first question the bloke asked was "What do you think the worst part of being in the military would be?" After much prompting someone finally ventured, "you might have to be in a war". Correct he said, the main focus of the armed forces is to defend your country with your life if necessary. That made a great impression on me. I hope in Australia they still have that message. I hope in the US that is what they emphasize. Take it from there, don't coerce.

3D.

Monkey
Feb 23, 2006
Chinafornia USA
http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,327347,00.html

Disagree with war = ok
Protest those who have the sack to protect you = :dead:

:
Common knowledge tells you that not all modern wars are fought for means of self defense.

This type of stuff is going to create serious disharmonies in most communities, but many are growing tired of the modern war machine... cutting out a recruiting station is small potatoes.

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
I know this is tying an unrelated topic, but while I disagree with Berkeley's logic for removing the recruiting office, I despise all the military's recruitment advertising, from video game warfare to Capraesque family appeal.

Frankly, until the military stops advertising, I think the only alternative is to limit actual recruiting.

drkenan

anti-dentite
Oct 1, 2006
west asheville
Check the update:

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,329866,00.html

The mayor of Berkeley, Calif., has issued an apology to servicemen and women serving in Iraq following a flap over a City Council vote that told the U.S Marine recruiting station there it should leave, and if it doesn't, is staying only as "uninvited and unwelcome intruders."
While it's pretty ridiculous that Berkeley city council would do that, it's also even more ridiculous that Jim DeMint and other republicans are trying to cut FEDERAL money to them. Try explaining to the elementary school kids that their school is in a budget crisis because their town is being punished by the federal government. :crazy:

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
I grew up in a military family and my parents wanted me to join, but when I turned 18 the Marine recruiters in the area were so ****ing aggressive it was pretty much harassment. My parents almost called the cops on them several times. Phone calls all day every day. When they came to the house they would literally stick the foot in the door and would not leave when asked. I had friends who experienced the same thing in other areas. If the Berkely office did that regularly I could see why they would want them gone. It is complete BS if it is just for political reasons.

manimal

Ociffer Tackleberry
Feb 27, 2002
Common knowledge tells you that not all modern wars are fought for means of self defense.
you are correct but that does not negate the need for a well trained and prepared military. therefore, preventing the recruiting process, however barbaric, does nothing but weaken the defense capabilities. i personally would prefer that we do something more like israel and have mandatory service as part of the social structure. we are benefited by having an all volunteer military that allows for those who are willing to fight do so. those that choose to join do so at their own sacrifice, (ie: deployment, low pay, subordination) but they are also not without the benefit of outstanding training. so do these extreme leftards just not understand the need for a military. if there problem is with the methods of recruiting than they need to take their concern higher up, pissing off an entire nation of veterans by pulling the welcome mat out from under the most loyal service is not a good political move as evidenced by the mayor's apology.

and silver:
The chances that you are going to get sent to kill poor brown people somewhere are decent, wouldn't you say?
yes, one stands a pretty good chance of combat action these days but it doesn't take much digging to realize that there are a lot of people, of many colors :rolleyes: , who wish to have a chance to kill 'ole roundeye. so i guess it all boils down to the barbarism of kill or be killed in the end ?

JohnE

filthy rascist
May 13, 2005
Front Range, dude...
Manimal, I would agree on the mandatory service. But not neccesarily military service. As a career NCO, I have to deal with enough retards as it is. I would not want ones who are only there because they have to be, marking time and collecting a paycheck til ETS. Make it some kind of social service like Germany does it (Work a hospital, old folks home, road crew or whatever.) or military. I knwo you know that there are enough slackers in all the branches, we dont need any more!

And Berkely, well, its Berkely. No one would miss it if it fell off into the ocean...

Silver

find me a tampon
Jul 20, 2002
Orange County, CA
and silver:

yes, one stands a pretty good chance of combat action these days but it doesn't take much digging to realize that there are a lot of people, of many colors :rolleyes: , who wish to have a chance to kill 'ole roundeye. so i guess it all boils down to the barbarism of kill or be killed in the end ?
Yeah, it's probably got nothing at all to do with a global network of military bases, invading Iraq when the problem was really Saudi Arabia and Pakistan, aggressive and unfair trade policies, and political polices that have propped up dicatators all over the world when it's good for our pocketbooks.

After all, everyone hates Canada and Sweden and Norway and Iceland...

manimal

Ociffer Tackleberry
Feb 27, 2002
Manimal, I would agree on the mandatory service. But not neccesarily military service. As a career NCO, I have to deal with enough retards as it is. I would not want ones who are only there because they have to be, marking time and collecting a paycheck til ETS. Make it some kind of social service like Germany does it (Work a hospital, old folks home, road crew or whatever.) or military. I knwo you know that there are enough slackers in all the branches, we dont need any more!

And Berkely, well, its Berkely. No one would miss it if it fell off into the ocean...
yes, i agree. some form of structured, team building training and service would suffice. military is definitely not for everyone but it would be nice if everyone at least gave back to their country in some form instead of bitching about how much it doesn't suit their personal agenda.

Monkey
Do they really want hippies from Berkley in the Corps?

I suppose they could be on point.
the Marine Corps recruitment office is down the street(2 blocks) from Berkeley High School, which is a predominantly black high school. Not many Hippies there other than a few kids of the flower children.

That being said, I have absolutely no problem with it being there. It is a very low key place. I would rather have the high school graduates having that option(on a voluntary basis) open than what's happening to those who join "street oriented youth social organizations" out of high school.

Plummit

Monkey
Mar 12, 2002
fuk Berkley.
and Toledo! MSNBC

GR Marines forced out of Toledo

WOOD-TV
updated 8 minutes ago

TOLEDO, OH -- Toledo's Mayor Carty Finkbeiner on Friday ordered some 200 members of Company A, 1st Battalion, 24th Marines from Grand Rapids out of the city just before the unit was suppose to start a weekend of urban warfare training in the downtown Toledo area.

The mayor's spokesperson Brian Schwartz said, "the mayor asked them to leave because they frighten people. He did not want them practicing and drilling in a highly visible area."

Toledo police said they knew about the training and had approved the unit's use of the Madison Building and the Promenade Park area. The training was scheduled to start Friday afternoon and last until Sunday. Police said the unit's presence would have a minimal impact on the city. Police issued a press release earlier in the week saying the Marines would be wearing green camouflage uniforms, operate military vehicles, carry rifles, perform foot patrols and fire blank ammunitiion during the exercise.
Story continues below ↓advertisement

Schwartz said there was a breakdown in communication between police and the Finkbeiner administration that led to the mayor's action.

"The Marines drilled here three times during the Ford administration and once under the Finkbeiner administration. After the last visit, the mayor told then police chief Jack Smith, that he did not want the Marines back. Smith failed to inform the current police administration of the mayor's feelings," Schwartz said.

24 Hour News 8's sister station in Toledo spoke to Jack Smith who recalled that after the Marines last visit, he and the mayor had a heated exchange about the training.

"He told me he did not want them, as he put it, 'playing war in Toledo,'" Smith recalled. "I told him, as a former Marine, that if one young Marine's life is saved because of training he or she received in Toledo, Ohio, then it was worth the inconvenience."

Smith said if the mayor objected, then he should have been the one to convey those feelings to police. Smith took his run-in with the mayor as an objection to that last visit, and not future training in Toledo.

As a result, the Toledo police went ahead, granting approval to the 1-24th Marines to conduct the routine exercise. The police notified members of the Finkbeiner administration, who were not aware that the mayor objected to unit's training in Toledo.

When the mayor found out, he sent a member of his staff to tell Marines they could not conduct urban operations in Toledo.

The unit was notified about 3:30 p.m. after an advance team arrived in Toledo. Five buses carrying some 200 Marines traveled four hours from Grand Rapids, only to find out the training had been shot down.

The unit briefly stopped at a another 1-24th marine base in Perrysburg Township, then returned back to Grand Rapids where training was expected to be held this weekend.

A spokesperson for the Marines said they were disappointed by the mayor's decision especially after the city had been so helpful in the past. Alpha Company resumed training in Grand Rapids on Saturday.

$tinkle

Expert on blowing
Feb 12, 2003
this should put into perspective how short-sighted & willfully ignorant code pinko is:
Code Pink announced they would have what they called a "24-hour peace-in" leading up to Tuesday's city council meeting. They will be camping out but will have a lot of company. A group of pro-troop protesters will also be there.

"I was under the impression that we have the right of free speech," said Xanne Joi of Code Pink. "To me, I thought free speech meant you get to say what you want without recrimination."
get back in the kitchen & burn something.
like your bra.

manimal

Ociffer Tackleberry
Feb 27, 2002
When the mayor found out, he sent a member of his staff to tell Marines they could not conduct urban operations in Toledo.
friggin puss of a mayor, can't even do it himself. is the mayor afraid that people might see the marines training and remember that there is a war going on? wtf?! in WWII, people were rationing their metals and food but now it's an inconvenience to let them train?
Rome is falling.

chicodude

The Spooninator
Mar 28, 2004
Paradise
friggin puss of a mayor, can't even do it himself. is the mayor afraid that people might see the marines training and remember that there is a war going on? wtf?! in WWII, people were rationing their metals and food but now it's an inconvenience to let them train?
Rome is falling.
Yeah, but there is a big difference there. WWII=Actual threat to our safety and to the well being of the world. This cluster**** we are a part of now has no effect on either of those two.

It is sickening the lengths they will go to recruit high school kids. They came into our class once a month to talk to us, They would show up with a rock wall or a stockcar parked on the front lawn at least once a week. The had obstacle courses in the gym etc. its one thing to recruit, its another give the kids a false impression of what they are getting into.

skinny mike

Turbo Monkey
Jan 24, 2005
in WWII, people were rationing their metals and food but now it's an inconvenience to let them train?
we were attacked by another sovereign nation, it's quite a bit different now.

unless of course you actually think some sovereign country did attack us, but i would hope that you are smarter than that.

Echo

crooked smile
Jul 10, 2002
Slacking at work
Recruiters are the scum of the earth. They will tell you anything to get you to join.

So the question is, what is worse:

1) Mandatory military service for everyone; or

2) Deceptive advertising and trickery to get people to join?

I'm not going to sit here and judge the Berkeley city council. I think there are some very compelling reasons not to want a recruiting office.

N8 v2.0

Not the sharpest tool in the shed
Oct 18, 2002
The Cleft of Venus
Recruiters are the scum of the earth. They will tell you anything to get you to join.

I'm not going to sit here and judge the Berkeley city council. I think there are some very compelling reasons not to want a recruiting office.

Oh come on... everyone knows recruiters lie... as do used car salesmen... and lawyers.

You knew when you signed up as did I and the rest of us.

But I did get the rating school I wanted and go in the SeaBees so I don't feel resentful. The morons who enlisted as non-designated strikers (usually SN's and FN's) got what they mostly deserved for not doing a minimal amount of homework before signing the dotted line.

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR

:stupid:

A good friend of mine who was an amazing soldier was talked into recruiting duty. He took it thinking it would be a lot more family friendly of a work schedule. He failed to make his numbers because he refused to put people in under false pretenses while refusing to let others join for the wrong reasons.

He was relieved of his duties and is currently looking to leave the military all together after seeing what goes on from that side of the fence.

I understand why some people would not want recruiters around. It's not like kids who are thinking about joining don't know where to look.

Silver

find me a tampon
Jul 20, 2002
Orange County, CA

Number #1 is worse. You can combat #2 with some basic education about how the world works.

$tinkle

Expert on blowing
Feb 12, 2003
Yeah, but there is a big difference there. WWII=Actual threat to our safety and to the well being of the world. This cluster**** we are a part of now has no effect on either of those two.
tell me what you understand about the effects on society & rule of law with respect to the spread of islamic extremism in the following secular societies:
- u.k.
- france
- netherlands
- thailand

no detail is too great.

$tinkle

Expert on blowing
Feb 12, 2003
cuts both ways.
i knew quite a few fellow airmen who also partook in volumes otherwise precluding them from service.

Echo

crooked smile
Jul 10, 2002
Slacking at work
cuts both ways.
i knew quite a few fellow airmen who also partook in volumes otherwise precluding them from service.
Everyone lies about how much reefer they smoked in high school.

Trying to equate that to the promises recruiters make is ridiculous.

$tinkle

Expert on blowing
Feb 12, 2003
thought i recognized this mayor's name...

from 14 yrs back: Ohio Mayor Regrets Remark on Deafness
Mayor Carty Finkbeiner suggested at a staff meeting that a way to resolve complaints about airport noise would be to move deaf people into the neighborhood.

On Friday, after the remark was publicized, Mr. Finkbeiner wept at a news conference and said he had meant no disrespect. "Nobody intended to be insensitive," he said. "My only words were that it was an interesting idea."
this would make perfect sense if this judgment were handed down by PAWN posters.

jimmydean

Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
Everyone lies about how much reefer they smoked in high school.
I remember being completely honest on my "application" about what I had used and to what extent. After I gave it to my recruiter, he gave it to the Master Chief who gave me a good talking to. It went something like this:

"As far as I know, you have never even considered drugs of any kind, I would like your application to reflect that."

I filled out a new application saying I had never done anything ever. He said as long as I stuck to that, MEPS wouldn't know any different.

Secret Squirrel

There is no Justice!
Dec 21, 2004
Up sh*t creek, without a paddle
I remember being completely honest on my "application" about what I had used and to what extent. After I gave it to my recruiter, he gave it to the Master Chief who gave me a good talking to. It went something like this:

"As far as I know, you have never even considered drugs of any kind, I would like your application to reflect that."

I filled out a new application saying I had never done anything ever. He said as long as I stuck to that, MEPS wouldn't know any different.
There was this one psillosibin trip...man...when the sky unzipped...I wasn't waitin' around for what came next...

BurlyShirley

Rex Grossman Will Rise Again
Jul 4, 2002
TN
My recruiter was a total jackass. Constantly did crap like buy liquor for kids, would f*ck around with the young girls, talked crap all day long...man was that guy irritating.
Once he called me and said, "If anyone comes around asking if you know I bought liquor for anyone, tell them no."
Bad part is...he was actually a pretty decent representative sample of most the people I met in the service.

jimmydean

Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
I spread some serious freedom on West Pac. Especially in the Philippines, I don't think I have spread that much freedom since.