Quantcast

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
Problem being that the bar for "Justified" is set so ridiculously low that they can indulge in extra judicial killings for pretty much just walking down the street.

For reaching for your driver's license, you deserve to die!

Nick

My name is Nick
Sep 21, 2001
where the trails are
well it sounds like you have faith in the "justice" system when it comes to prosecuting cops. thats cute
And it sounds like you have none, understood. That's ok, there is no universal answer.

Police aren't infallible. If a crime was committed by any person, cop or not, I want them to be held accountable.
But I think they (cops) deserve the benefit of every doubt from the public until the facts are known.

I have no expectations of changing your mind on this. That's ok too.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
A cop being scared is not a reason to shoot someone, yet that's often what it comes down to.

IH8Rice

I'm Mr. Negative! I Fail!
Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
And it sounds like you have none, understood. That's ok, there is no universal answer.
how can anyone have faith in the justice system doing its job when it comes to prosecuting and convicting police when so many arent either held accountable enough to be brought to justice or actually have a DA that can do a good enough job to get a conviction?

rockofullr

confused
Jun 11, 2009
East Bay, Cali
Just a heads up. This one is pretty hard to watch. Dude had headphones on and couldn't hear what they were saying to him apparently.

Last edited:

IH8Rice

Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
I wonder if anything from the evidence lock up is missing. poor kid
Layton police will not seek to file charges against an 18-year-old man who they accused of adding drugs to a Subway drink, according to a press release issued Tuesday, Oct. 11....

According to the release, state crime lab personnel initially notified investigators there was a “presence of a foreign substance in the officer's drink,” he purchased on Aug. 8, at a Subway drive-thru, 1142 E. Route 193 in Layton.

Crime lab personnel did further testing “in an effort to duplicate and confirm the results. The initial results could not be duplicated,” and “they are unable to confirm that contaminates were in the officer's drink,” the release said.
http://www.standard.net/News/2016/10/11/C.html

IH8Rice

Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
im shocked the judge was able to put a lien on their houses and applaud him for doing so
10 years of bullshit the family had to deal with

Last week, a federal jury ruled in favor of a father and daughter whose dog was shot by Hartford police during an illegal search of their property and awarded them $202,000. That award included $32,000 in punitive damages, which the two officers involved are personally responsible for splitting. As a result of that, the judge in the case placed liens on both officers’ houses to ensure they pay.

In addition, the lawyer for the dog’s owners, Glen and “K” Harris, stated that he intends to pursue as much as $640,000 in additional legal fees against the city. The case dragged on for ten years after the incident in which Sgt. Johnmichael O’Hare and Sgt. Anthony Pia shot the St. Bernard belonging to the Harris family while in the process of conducting a search in an attempt to find guns a gang affiliated informant had claimed were in their yard. No guns were found and they had not gotten a warrant for the search.
http://www.copblock.org/167049/family-whose-dog-was-murdered-by-hartford-police-awarded-202000-liens-placed-on-cops-houses/

JohnE

filthy rascist
May 13, 2005
Front Range, dude...
This breaks my heart on a regular basis...999 Cops out of 1000 are out there doing the right thing on a regular basis. They get no kudos or publicity...then that one stupid asshole with a badge steps up to the plate and breaks down all of their good works with one stupidasfuck move...

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
This breaks my heart on a regular basis...999 Cops out of 1000 are out there doing the right thing on a regular basis. They get no kudos or publicity...then that one stupid asshole with a badge steps up to the plate and breaks down all of their good works with one stupidasfuck move...
Why do all these good cops stand behind police unions that defend them? Makes them rotten as a whole. Remove tumors, don't protect them.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle

And not one of those good cops says or does a god damned thing about any of those bad cops. An organization is only as good as what it deems acceptable. It seems most police organizations accept mountainous piles of excrement.

JohnE

filthy rascist
May 13, 2005
Front Range, dude...
And not one of those good cops says or does a god damned thing about any of those bad cops. An organization is only as good as what it deems acceptable. It seems most police organizations accept mountainous piles of excrement.
Not even close to being true, but thanks for reinforcing the negative stereotype. In a quarter century in law enforcement, both civilian and military, I have seen far more good Cops than bad, and I have seen them turn in the bad ones. But I guess you are an expert, and my experience means nothing, so I will yield to your expertness. Thanks for setting me straight...

JohnE

filthy rascist
May 13, 2005
Front Range, dude...
Why do all these good cops stand behind police unions that defend them? Makes them rotten as a whole. Remove tumors, don't protect them.
Why do good teachers and teachers unions stand behind bad ones? I have no answers for questions like this...but I will assure you that there are more good ones out there than bad. The only thing I can counter with is that in todays world of instant internet stardom and social media, its hard to be a Cop...

There are douchebag Cops...this is abundantly true. The law of averages says there are douchebags in every walk of life and career field. Cops are under the spotlight every time they put on the badge...and the consequences for them fucking up are huge. But until you walk a mile in their shoes, try to see their perspective. Volunteer to ride along with your locals. Go to a Citizens Academy. Try a little empathy. Dealing with good people at bad times wears you down...dealing with the bad people and bad events is even worse.

Before I retired I had a girl working for me, early 30s, been in the AF since after HS. I didnt hire her, I had no openings in my section and needed no one. Anyway...she is married with a couple kids. Multiple deployments, hit with IEDs and indirect fire etc...but when she came to work for me my Chief came to me first. He told me to take it easy on her, as she had recently administered CPR to a dieing child for 20 minutes while waiting on EMS to arrive. Kid was the same age as one of hers. How many of you think you could go through a situation like that and not be changed?

Yeah, there are small insignificant power tripping fvcks behind the badge. But in reality they are a direct reflection of the society that empowers them. Want to change the system? Get involved. GO volunteer...run for a merit board. Call your representatives, call the PD and speak with Internal Affairs if you have the balls to...be vocal about the bad Cops...but remember to be vocal about the good ones too.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
Why do good teachers and teachers unions stand behind bad ones? I have no answers for questions like this...but I will assure you that there are more good ones out there than bad. The only thing I can counter with is that in todays world of instant internet stardom and social media, its hard to be a Cop...
I work in a similar field, technically it's law enforcement, but not criminal law. Of course there are some bad apples, but the training and education should be able to fix what can't be weeded out. This is the real problem though, because the established culture with these organizations or possibly as a whole, is contrary to "innocent until proven guilty". It's more like: "there's a crime somewhere in every situation". These officers can't "walk away" from situations and push these things to a point where it results in serious injury or death. It's not suggesting that they turn a blind eye to crime, but the rules of engagement seem to be way out of control, as far as who they pull over/stop, what "reasonable suspicion" is, and so on. One of the important things I learned during my human factors/ergonomics training (master's degree) is that people are not perfect. Now put them in a frightening situation with the police and they are bound to act stupid at least some of the time, not because they are stupid, but because they are human and not perfect. You can be yelling at someone to put their hands outside the window, but in their mind, they might be hearing "get your registration out". Yelling louder doesn't make it any "clearer" for them, they are in a tense situation and their brain is on "autopilot". Then, does that person deserve to die? Of course not, but the rules/equipment/procedures used by police don't really take this into account. It's either "threat is present and shoot" or "no threat".
There are douchebag Cops...this is abundantly true. The law of averages says there are douchebags in every walk of life and career field. Cops are under the spotlight every time they put on the badge...and the consequences for them fucking up are huge. But until you walk a mile in their shoes, try to see their perspective. Volunteer to ride along with your locals. Go to a Citizens Academy. Try a little empathy. Dealing with good people at bad times wears you down...dealing with the bad people and bad events is even worse.
Good points, but there seems to be a lack of willpower to adequately train and shape these guys, maybe it goes back to our justice system which is all about punishment and not about getting better, which reinforces their attitude that everyone that is not a cop is "the enemy", but there are other walks of life where we don't have many screw-ups, because the vetting and training is better. Police officers are required to face dynamic and varied situations that will not always have a positive outcome and may result in one or more deaths no matter what, but there should be an emphasis on preserving human life. I tend to think the emphasis currently/in the past is on preserving the police officers life, which is important for sure, but we need to re-think many of the situations and training must not escalate situations that do not require any escalation.

Yeah, there are small insignificant power tripping fvcks behind the badge. But in reality they are a direct reflection of the society that empowers them. Want to change the system? Get involved. GO volunteer...run for a merit board. Call your representatives, call the PD and speak with Internal Affairs if you have the balls to...be vocal about the bad Cops...but remember to be vocal about the good ones too.
I think revamping the entire criminal justice system is once place to start. For most serious crimes, you are "done" with life as you know it, never to be able to return to a decent job or way of life. I'm not talking about murder or any raps that get you the equivalent of life in prison, but the lesser "serious" crimes. The way these are currently handled only helps keep you returning to crime. Money should be appropriated to studies to find out how to correct behavior and what it actually takes to turn someone back into a productive member of society. Then, we should pursue those efforts. If you've done the time (and passed the behavior modification/corrective action), then your record should be clean. These days, most crimes are life-sentences, in terms of how they'll affect your ability to hold a job, etc. If we can get past the idea that "we're going to find all the 'bad' people, then take them out of society", it might help us move past the idea that we have to go around shooting everyone that doesn't come out of their car right away. We have to get past just letting people rot in prison and then returning to crime once they get out, although it's good for the contract-prison industry...

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
Not even close to being true, but thanks for reinforcing the negative stereotype. In a quarter century in law enforcement, both civilian and military, I have seen far more good Cops than bad, and I have seen them turn in the bad ones. But I guess you are an expert, and my experience means nothing, so I will yield to your expertness. Thanks for setting me straight...
JohnE, I think you might just be one of the lucky few that has worked for a good group/team/organization. I have many friends in San Francisco that can point out a corrupt from the top down organization. The month I was in New Orleans I got to see a corrupt from the top down organization first hand.

I met some very good cops in Beaverton when I was working with them. Portland is a whole other story. Southern Oregon is a disaster. Josephine and Jackson counties are both run by sheriffs that do whatever they want (well documented, won't ever change).

Yes, I know a lot of good cops, but in both my personal and professional career I have also met a lot of less than stellar officers.

JohnE

filthy rascist
May 13, 2005
Front Range, dude...
The saddest reality is that any municipality that wants to deputize you may do so. If they chose to give you a badge and assume liabilities for your actions, then bang zoom you are a Cop. No training is mandated Federally, and state by state rules vary wildly, as do the standards for certification. Dont even get me started on the differences between sheriffs and police, constables and deputies etc. There is something like 15 different police agencies operating in the Los Angeles area alone...between the county, state and Federal court systems, park police, county sheriffs, LA Sheriffs, CHP, LAPD, VA Police etc...if you want a badge you can get one there.

I believe the public underestimates the amount of pull they have with their local agencies. Simply being involved in your community and getting to know the Cops in the area and the issues they face can go a long way. Getting to know a few of them on a personal level, and getting to know douche from good guy, Barney Fife from Farva and Jon and Ponch from Starsky and Hutch can greatly influence the way they handle things on the street and the attitudes they have towards the general public.

I am a great advocate of training and experience, and many of the goobers who cause the trouble on the streets have little of either...and fuck those guys, they belong at WallyWorld or in many cases in jail. But dont let the bad ones color your opinions of the good ones...