Quantcast

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Implied consent is the consent that you give to allow things like breath tests and random vehicle inspections in exchange for driving on the taxpayer funded roads.

The stupid that hurts most in this deal, imho, is that the testee was not not suspected of anything, he was simply involved in a motor vehicle accident and they wanted "...to determine whether the patient had illicit substances in his system at the time of the crash". There was zero probable cause for the attempted blood draw. This is the kind of shitty police work that is well, shitty. Defective Payne is truly a dumbass, as is his stupidvisor who directed him to get the sample.

Classy guy, a shining example of how NOT to be a good Cop.

"As he stands in the hospital parking lot after the arrest, Payne says to another officer that he wonders how this event will affect an off-duty job transporting patients for an ambulance company.
“I’ll bring them all the transients and take good patients elsewhere,” Payne says."

http://www.sltrib.com/pb/news/2017/08/31/utah-nurse-arrested-after-complying-with-hospital-policy-that-bars-taking-blood-from-unconscious-victim
these cops are so fucked.

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
Via TC:

It was unusual in one big way, though. Because the verdict was decided by a judge after Stockley waived his right to a jury trial, the public got a rare insight into the thinking that goes into letting a cop go free despite stacks of evidence of wrongdoing. In Judge Timothy J. Wilson’s 30-page ruling you can see the mental gymnastics that went into acquitting a man who said to his partner of Smith, “we’re killing this motherfucker, don’t you know,” minutes before killing him.
http://www.slate.com/blogs/the_slatest/2017/09/15/this_judge_s_excuses_for_acquitting_jason_stockley_of_murder_are_pathetic.html

JohnE

filthy rascist
May 13, 2005
Front Range, dude...
That is some fucked up shit in StL, again. Stockley should be on the way to prison right meow. I am so sickened and saddened by events like this. What has become of serve and protect?

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
That is some fucked up shit in StL, again. Stockley should be on the way to prison right meow. I am so sickened and saddened by events like this. What has become of serve and protect?
I don't know, there's some fucked up stuff going on there, but looking at what is fact and what is not, that was a hard case to prove. It should have certainly gone to court with the fact that he make the "kill the mofo" statement and WTF does this guy have an AK47 in his car for? But one police officer identified him as having a gun already and there appeared to be no place that the officer could have been hiding the weapon in his clothes when he passed by the video camera, which makes it pretty hard to show up in the car. I'm not sure what all the history on the weapon was and if there are any bullet matches to prior crimes, but this stuff isn't a total mystery these days, they can match with known weapons or known cases where rounds were found. Lots of roads to go down to establish if this was a planted weapon or not, despite there being some inconsistencies. Doesn't make all of the cop's behavior correct, but this seems far from conclusive from an evidence standpoint.

Lets go down the correct road here. One of the cops turned off the dashcam. That should be a federal crime.

JohnE

filthy rascist
May 13, 2005
Front Range, dude...
Back in the day, I knew guys who carried drop guns and carried back up guns and extra ammunition "just in case". Many subscribe to the theory that it is better to be judged by 12 than carried by 6.

Once again I will revert to my standard argument that there needs to be national level hiring, training and education standards for Cops. It is too easy for thugs like Stockley to find work carrying weapons and making life and death decisions when they should be working in the garden section of the local WallyWorld.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
there appeared to be no place that the officer could have been hiding the weapon in his clothes when he passed by the video camera, which makes it pretty hard to show up in the car
How come Stockley's but not the decedent's DNA was on the weapon?

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
How come Stockley's but not the decedent's DNA was on the weapon?
From CNN:

The prosecution cited footage of Stockley rummaging through a bag in the back of the police vehicle. That was when Stockley retrieved the weapon, they argued. Prosecutors also pointed to the fact that Stockley's DNA had been found on the weapon.
But in his ruling, Wilson said the prosecution's argument was "not supported by the evidence."
"This court ... is simply not firmly convinced of the defendant's guilt," he wrote in his 30-page decision. "Agonizingly, this court has (pored) over the evidence again and again."

Anthony Lamar Smith, who was killed in 2011, in an undated family photo.
The gun was too large, Wilson said, for Stockley to hide it from the cameras at the scene.
Additionally, Wilson found that the prosecution had not sufficiently explained how Smith could have been wounded in his lower left abdomen, given he was sitting inside a car on the driver's side at the time he was killed.
The location of the wound, according to the doctor who conducted the autopsy and testified, could suggest Smith had been reaching to his right for something inside the vehicle, Wilson said.
The judge also cited two witnesses who testified during the trial that the absence of Smith's DNA on the weapon does not necessarily mean he didn't touch the gun.
Wilson said it wouldn't be unusual for Smith to have a gun.
"An urban heroin dealer not in possession of a firearm would be an anomaly," the judge wrote.

A bag with narcotics was found inside Smith's car, according to a responding officer's testimony. It was later revealed to be heroin, the judge said in a footnote to the ruling.
Prosecutors had asked for lesser charges to be considered if Stockley was acquitted of murder. But Wilson declined to consider charges such as involuntary manslaughter because he found the prosecution failed to prove beyond a reasonable doubt that Stockley's "use of force was not justified in self-defense."
Prosecutors argued Stockley intended to kill Smith, citing audio from the internal police vehicle camera during the car chase in which he told his partner, "We're killing this motherf***er."
But the judge noted in his decision that "people say all kinds of things in the heat of the moment or while in stressful situations."
LIke I said, there's some shit that doesn't add up, but if the weapon is truly too big to be hidden on the body with the multiple video cameras, it shoots down that theory, unless the cop crammed it up his ass or something. Some stuff doesn't add up on both sides, but when it doesn't add up for the prosecution, this is the way our justice system works.

From CNN:

LIke I said, there's some shit that doesn't add up, but if the weapon is truly too big to be hidden on the body with the multiple video cameras, it shoots down that theory, unless the cop crammed it up his ass or something. Some stuff doesn't add up on both sides, but when it doesn't add up for the prosecution, this is the way our justice system works.
The "justice" system is evolving to be little more than expensive theater.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Multiple video cameras? I read about a bystander's cell phone video. The dashcam footage from the cop car would have been great... but they turned it off.

I hope that cop's family gets their asses handed to them in civil court.

DaveW

Space Monkey
Jul 2, 2001
The bunker at parliament
Don't worry Syadasti, you may rest assured that is only a very very few bad apples and the police will police their own ranks when these rare abnormal occurrences happen infrequently.
It's not systemic at all, no no no no no no.......

JohnE

filthy rascist
May 13, 2005
Front Range, dude...
"...Mayor Lyda Krewson asked the director of public safety to investigate how an undercover officer became bloodied during his arrest Sunday when he was mistaken for a suspect..."

So she worries about this but not about the civilians being brutalized? What does tRump have to say about all of this? Surely he will have some wise words that will have a calming effect on all this craziness...

Yeah, right.

JohnE

filthy rascist
May 13, 2005
Front Range, dude...
Fewer Cops on the street = less tension and fewer hostile confrontations. Who knew?

I did. In Germany you very rarely see a patrol vehicle and/or walking patrols on the streets. There are no stop and frisk laws, nor are there anti police protests. The LE intelligence system is a lot deeper than many here would tolerate, but as a trade off the Polizei already know who the bad actors are and are often one step ahead of them. Cops are better trained, better educated, funded and just overall better. I am sure that part of it has something to do with the respect for authority that is ingrained into the culture there, but in 7 years there I never felt as if I was in danger from the very people who were paid to protect us.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/morning-mix/wp/2017/10/05/he-was-deas-toughest-cop-in-east-louisiana-now-hes-facing-corruption-charges/?utm_term=.37525fe2dabd

Last year, two officers from Scott’s team pleaded guilty to federal charges, prompting Scott to lose his badge and gun and be suspended. A third member, Rodney Gemar, was indicted along with Scott.

According to court documents, prosecutors say Scott lied on the witness stand, falsified witness testimony to secure a conviction, and pocketed money from criminals.

StiHacka

Compensating for something
Jan 4, 2013
In hell. Welcome!
Fewer Cops on the street = less tension and fewer hostile confrontations. Who knew?

I did. In Germany you very rarely see a patrol vehicle and/or walking patrols on the streets. There are no stop and frisk laws, nor are there anti police protests. The LE intelligence system is a lot deeper than many here would tolerate, but as a trade off the Polizei already know who the bad actors are and are often one step ahead of them. Cops are better trained, better educated, funded and just overall better. I am sure that part of it has something to do with the respect for authority that is ingrained into the culture there, but in 7 years there I never felt as if I was in danger from the very people who were paid to protect us.
I once counted a dozen cop cars on a single short street in Boston, each belonging to a different agency.
Land of the free my ass.

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
Police did a great job...not stopping the massacre sooner (and the shooter killed himself so...):

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-41599529

According to CBS News, gunfire could be heard as Mr Schuck told a dispatcher on his radio: "Call the police, someone's firing a gun up here. Someone's firing a rifle on the 32nd floor down the hallway."

The BBC has asked the Las Vegas Metropolitan Police Department for comment.

Mr Schuck's account adds more questions about why police were unaware of the shooting on the 32nd floor before Paddock opened fire on concert-goers below.

Police initially said Mr Campos, the injured security guard, interrupted the gunman as he was firing upon the crowd from his hotel suite.

But on Monday police revised the timeline to clarify that Mr Campos was actually shot in the leg and wounded six minutes before Paddock began shooting at the music festival.

Pesqueeb

bicycle in airplane hangar
Feb 2, 2007
Riding the baggage carousel.
Also:
22:15 Paddock stops firing
<snip>
23:20 Swat team breaks into Paddock's room and finds him dead from a suspected self-inflicted gunshot
A fucking hour goes by before cops enter his room after the shooting stops. Paddock could have been doing anything in that amount of time.