Quantcast

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada

"Advocates for police reform are making the case that the phrase “defund the police” doesn’t mean what many people think it means. “Be not afraid,” Christy E. Lopez, a Georgetown University law professor, wrote in The Washington Post. “‘Defunding the police’ is not as scary (or even as radical) as it sounds.”

What it actually means, these advocates say, is reducing police budgets and no longer asking officers to do many jobs that they often don’t even want to do: resolving family and school disputes, moving homeless people into shelters and so on. Instead, funding for education, health care and other social services would increase. (For more detail on the movement’s agenda, you can read this Times explainer.)

The challenge for advocates is that many people equate “defunding” with a major reduction in policing — and they don’t like that idea. Reducing police budgets is arguably the only high-profile reform idea that’s not popular:

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
I actually had someone dose my food at a restaurant a few years ago. Based on the symptoms and what I could find online I'm pretty sure it was that flaka shit. Total loss of control of my limbs for about 2 hours.

When I filed a police report, the fuckers in the very conservative no drugs policy town had zero interest in looking into it. Ambulance ride, emergency room stabilization, cat scan, all kinds of anti-psychosis drugs pumped into my system, all with documentation. No interest. In fact while I was filing the report the 300lb 25 year old cop was literally jumping up and down like he had to pee because he had just gotten a call that a pursuit was underway on the other side of town. I heard the call, they didn't ask for backup. But this porcine sack of shit was literally about to explode with anticipation. When I called a week later, zero follow up with the restaurant.

Cops do not reduce crime nearly as much as they prioritize flocking to, and causing chaos.

Read this thread for another take on the exact same concept. Defunding police is not ignoring crime. It's minimizing power, influence and impunity.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
I actually had someone dose my food at a restaurant a few years ago. Based on the symptoms and what I could find online I'm pretty sure it was that flaka shit. Total loss of control of my limbs for about 2 hours.

When I filed a police report, the fuckers in the very conservative no drugs policy town had zero interest in looking into it. Ambulance ride, emergency room stabilization, cat scan, all kinds of anti-psychosis drugs pumped into my system, all with documentation. No interest. In fact while I was filing the report the 300lb 25 year old cop was literally jumping up and down like he had to pee because he had just gotten a call that a pursuit was underway on the other side of town. I heard the call, they didn't ask for backup. But this porcine sack of shit was literally about to explode with anticipation. When I called a week later, zero follow up with the restaurant.

Cops do not reduce crime nearly as much as they prioritize flocking to, and causing chaos.

Read this thread for another take on the exact same concept. Defunding police is not ignoring crime. It's minimizing power, influence and impunity.

It wouldn't be the cop that does that, and there in lies a big problem with the system. You can have all the street cops in the world, but if you don't have the detectives and DAs that can actually process and investigate cases, it doesn't matter. We have this exact problem. There is some crossover of course, but the street cops aren't the ones to run down stuff like this. Cops can make arrests, detectives can put together cases. Vehicle thefts are insane here (as well as general violence and crime). You'd think in a damn-near totally-landlocked location WITH traffic cameras, this would be stupid-easy, you can see where everyone goes and narrow it all down damn near instantly. There's nowhere to "go", but the street cops here are in damage-control mode nearly all the time and there's no time for anything but the most violent stuff. The stabbings and shootings, which we have a lot of, DO get investigation and are pursued for the most part, but the gap between what is and what isn't investigated is miles wide. The stuff short of blowing someone away simply isn't investigated. The street cops get all the visibility, as in "if we have more cops, we can stop crime", so the cycle keeps repeating indefinitely, because staffing the DA and detectives to allow cases to be pursued just never happens. Every time a bond comes up and the city wants to do some meaningless thing that doesn't address the real issue with our law enforcement here, so I always vote against them.

This speaks nothing to bias and racism, just the things above that are supposed be done by detectives. The cops respond, secure scenes, assist the detectives when necessary, etc. I have watched a lot of Law and Order too, so I know what the hell I'm talking about.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
It was an 'investigator' who I followed up with. Porky pig couldn't even tell me how to do that.

And anchorage is fucking gnarly.
Yeah, this guy attacked me with a stick because I was wheelie-ing:
Crazy guy_Moment(7).jpg

Crazy guy_Moment.jpg

Crazy guy_Moment(3).jpg

Kinda looks like Dio.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle

Worth your time.
Chilling. Gives a possible explaination to a few very weird and uncomfortable encounters I have had with police. I don't really question the description of Cop culture but I do question how much was written by a former officer. Very well written and goes from aw shucks don't listen to me I am just a bastard cop, to solid socioeconomic analysis with proposed solutions including properly referenced quotes. I don't question that one could go from a police officer to an accomplished journalist and political scientist, but it would be more believable if one's professional credentials were mentioned even if anonymously.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle

"Advocates for police reform are making the case that the phrase “defund the police” doesn’t mean what many people think it means. “Be not afraid,” Christy E. Lopez, a Georgetown University law professor, wrote in The Washington Post. “‘Defunding the police’ is not as scary (or even as radical) as it sounds.”

What it actually means, these advocates say, is reducing police budgets and no longer asking officers to do many jobs that they often don’t even want to do: resolving family and school disputes, moving homeless people into shelters and so on. Instead, funding for education, health care and other social services would increase. (For more detail on the movement’s agenda, you can read this Times explainer.)

The challenge for advocates is that many people equate “defunding” with a major reduction in policing — and they don’t like that idea. Reducing police budgets is arguably the only high-profile reform idea that’s not popular:

They could start by not calling it de-funding. That will just scare people who don't take the time to understand it and serve as ammunition for people who are against it. In fact a rather progressive friend of mine messaged me to day if me and my neighbors were going to have to fund our own private security force when if the SPD gets de-funded, and he was serious.

mykel

closer to Periwinkle
Apr 19, 2013
sw ontario canada
They could start by not calling it de-funding. That will just scare people who don't take the time to understand it and serve as ammunition for people who are against it. In fact a rather progressive friend of mine messaged me to day if me and my neighbors were going to have to fund our own private security force when if the SPD gets de-funded, and he was serious.
Same as ANTIFA - they should start writing it out fully - ANTI-FASCIST.
A little harder to slander that way.

Chilling. Gives a possible explaination to a few very weird and uncomfortable encounters I have had with police. I don't really question the description of Cop culture but I do question how much was written by a former officer. Very well written and goes from aw shucks don't listen to me I am just a bastard cop, to solid socioeconomic analysis with proposed solutions including properly referenced quotes. I don't question that one could go from a police officer to an accomplished journalist and political scientist, but it would be more believable if one's professional credentials were mentioned even if anonymously.
Consistent with what I observed when receiving firearms training from a Vermont state policeman, and VSP are relative boy scouts.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
With what seattle PD is doing hunting down and arresting protestors based on cell phone info, I think 'people' might be a little generous.
I think you may be missing the intent. A kind of declaration that it is no longer the police's station. That is where things have come to conflict every night for a week. Every night the protesters basically have taunted the police into a violent overreaction. The protesters lost every tactical encounter but are winning the political war. Last night the police stayed inside.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
I think you may be missing the intent. A kind of declaration that it is no longer the police's station. That is where things have come to conflict every night for a week. Every night the protesters basically have taunted the police into a violent overreaction. The protesters lost every tactical encounter but are winning the political war. Last night the police stayed inside.
No I get it but the problem is that it's still occupied by the army. As far as aspirational goals, it does read much better. But it's still what's inside that counts. Not yet people unfortunately.

It's heartwarming to hear the treatment they've been recieving. Very well earned.

Pesqueeb

bicycle in airplane hangar
Feb 2, 2007
Riding the baggage carousel.
Could be @JohnE. Solid dude with probably too much political awareness for his own sanity, given his former line of work.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Could be @JohnE. Solid dude with probably too much political awareness for his own sanity, given his former line of work.

But wasn't he an MP? Don't they have to comply with Geneva Convention? Either way I would guess that the military doesn't have a need to repress themselves.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
Yeah John's an MP I'm pretty sure. Military is different in my mind. That moreso than the cops IS the community, usually the poorer one at that. Fewer white, priviledged dipshits who just imagine they go to war at a moment's notice.

I finally read JBP's link. Kinda knew all that stuff already didn't we?

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001

if you got a hour to kill.....funny to hear a alderman tell the mayor fuck you....

DaveW

Space Monkey
Jul 2, 2001
The bunker at parliament
But wasn't he an MP? Don't they have to comply with Geneva Convention? Either way I would guess that the military doesn't have a need to repress themselves.
Thought the USA wasn't a signatory to that?
Either way..... You've been in pretty blatant breach of it in multiple ways over the last half century.