Quantcast

Nick

My name is Nick
Sep 21, 2001
where the trails are
I'm not trying to change your mind anymore buddy. I believe that when your armed you have many extra responsibilities, not least of which is how you interact with other armed people like cops.

Did you ever run from cops with a gun in your hand when you were a kid?

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
I'm not trying to change your mind anymore buddy. I believe that when your armed you have many extra responsibilities, not least of which is how you interact with other armed people like cops.

Did you ever run from cops with a gun in your hand when you were a kid?
No I passed it off to a friend who got caught :D

I'm trying to point out how systematic blaming the victim is in shitty policing, especially when it's someone who fits a profile. People who don't fit that profile rarely face the same result. There's an entire industry out there that wants to point out that more or less "he/she deserved it". And it's what you're doing here. It doesn't matter how many times you say he should be alive if it's always paired with "but then again......kinda had it comin'"

In situations like this there's only one life to live and the ability to take it so easily shouldn't be encapsulated in a publicly funded, paid career when they suck so badly at it.

The cop lied because he's doing the same thing "he had it coming." To a lesser degree so are you. All I'm trying to say is that that doesn't absolve addressing real problems in the profession.

I just saw that and thought of you :cupidarrow:

Last edited:

Nick

My name is Nick
Sep 21, 2001
where the trails are
I wish the kid would have never run, and if not I wish he'd have dropped the gun sooner, and if not I wish the cop would have waited just 1 second longer.
You feel the cop created the situation by chasing the kid with the gun. I think the opposite. I bet you if I start shooting a gun in Kings Beach at 3:00 a.m. the police will come and they will require me to comply immediately, or they is a real chance they're going to shoot me.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
I wish the kid would have never run, and if not I wish he'd have dropped the gun sooner, and if not I wish the cop would have waited just 1 second longer.
You feel the cop created the situation by chasing the kid with the gun. I think the opposite. I bet you if I start shooting a gun in Kings Beach at 3:00 a.m. the police will come and they will require me to comply immediately, or they is a real chance they're going to shoot me.
Cops in most towns have eliminated car chases for all but the most egregious acts. There's a reason for that: the collateral and immediate damage wasn't worth it.

I'd say the same needs to happen for individual foot chases. A single cop should not be chasing someone. It makes the cop too trigger happy which puts kids like this in unnecessary critical danger, and makes the cop feel like he has no choice but to do exactly that because he's putting himself in a dangerous situation even in his mind.

Got someone running around with a gun you think is posing an imminent threat? It's not that hard to use more cops to surround and block him. I learned last summer just how good cops are at doing just that. Safer for cops, safer for communities.

I'm not arguing what the current situation IS. I'm pointing out what the current situation SHOULD BE. It's an important difference. I already know how cops currently respond, you'll get no disagreement from me there. But did I know that at 13? heh

MikeD

Leader and Demogogue of the Ridemonkey Satinists
Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
End prohibition, let drugs be the public health problem they are instead of the law enforcement problem we've made them, spend 10% of what we spend on enforcement on treatment and prevention, and watch the levels of violence and problems with policing drop precipitously, making it easier to focus on the systemic issues at play in the Fields of Great Violence.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
End prohibition, let drugs be the public health problem they are instead of the law enforcement problem we've made them, spend 10% of what we spend on enforcement on treatment and prevention, and watch the levels of violence and problems with policing drop precipitously, making it easier to focus on the systemic issues at play in the Fields of Great Violence.

10% of the 100% solution

MikeD

Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
I think the downstream effects would be far, far greater and can't think of another single stroke that would change the policing environment so significantly. But that's neither here nor there.

I find myself arguing a lot of these instances with others in my field these days, but as much as I can be surprised by people endorsing obviously terrible conduct and tactics, I'm also sometimes surprised by who's willing to admit both systemic problems and individual instances of misconduct/error/bias.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
While erradicating stupid drug laws would remove one tool or avenue for abuse it does nothing for the following

-qualified immunity
-horrendously bloated cop budgets that show no correlation with reduced crime
-asset forfeiture
-an actual real threat of cops fearing getting shot cuz everybody gets a gun in the USA
-militarization that appeals to every insecure meathead as well as straight up white supremacists
-incentivization for incarceration to get them numbers up (although improved)
-cop unions with an inordinate amount of power
-COPS LIE (see #1)
-cultural racism that carries over into policing just like every other profession but with a worse outcome

Not saying you're wrong at all because that's a really important component. But it's no silver bullet. A lot of that list would be effected, but eliminated.

Last edited:

MikeD

Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
Certainly not a comprehensive solution. I can't think of one other single action that would affect so much positive change across that spectrum, however.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
This kid is not an innocent victim here.
guilt or innocence is not decided by the police. it's decided by a jury. (i'll give you a hint where you can find that, it's the same document open carry cosplayers get a hardon over)

Make no mistake, the kid should be alive today. Why didn't he stop in his tracks in the alley, drop the gun and put his hands in the air when he was caught? How many opportunities should the police give this kid or his side kick to shoot?
why did the cops deny him due process and execute him without a trial by jury?

Nick

My name is Nick
Sep 21, 2001
where the trails are
The risk someone takes when they're illegally armed and running from police is theirs to decide.
I think you probably get that.

Personally I wish the 13 year old wasn't out firing at passing cars at 2:45am. I can see where people would call that blaming the victim, I call it personal responsibility. Tomato tomatoe.

Tell you what, Jon; you face off with an armed suspect in a dark alley at 3am and let me know how you handle things. If you wanted to debate how things should be, let's have at it, if you just wanna be argumentative, well ... carry on.

Last edited:

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
The risk someone takes when they're illegally armed and running from police is theirs to decide.
I think you probably get that.

Personally I wish the 13 year old wasn't out firing at passing cars at 2:45am. I can see where people would call that blaming the victim, I call it personal responsibility. Tomato tomatoe.

Tell you what, Jon; you face off with an armed suspect in a dark alley at 3am and let me know how you handle things. If you wanted to debate how things should be, let's have at it, if you just wanna be argumentative, well ... carry on.
i grew up going to the school district for one of the most violent city in my state, and what's still consistently ranked as one of the most violent cities in the state & country, per capita. i've seen exactly the kind of conditions and circumstances that lead to this kind of behavior. i'm not talking hypotheticals. i knew kids in high school that got murdered as a result of gang violence, etc. police executing kids in the street isn't going to address the root cause.

MikeD

Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
End policing and start over :)

We created this, we can create better. Law is nothing without enforcement but it absolutely should not look and perform like it does currently.
I see prohibition ending as a far more possible scenario than a simultaneous elimination and resurrection of law enforcement across a gajillion agencies and jurisdictions across the USA.

This is going to be an evolutionary process, not a revolution.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
disgusting. they should be fired and charged.
So they can just hire the next round of equally disgusting assholes.

I've always said people (especially chads) need to do exciting sports in their free time. Might eliminate the need to do this kind of shit while on the public payroll. "Dealing with the public" should not be the most exhilarating part of your week.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
Black kids have long been subject to "the talk". It seems like it's worth doing with everyone's kids now.

American's are blind to what the rest of the world sees because we're so entrenched in thinking that cops do things that they don't, and excuse the horrible things they actually do by just focusing on an individual incident. It's not bad cops. It's a bad system. Bad cops are just a part of what the shitty system encourages.

Last edited:

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
How do you even teach your kids who cops are anymore?

That officer friendly shit finally got a camera pointed at it. Serious question, I'm not even sure how I'd approach it. I'm not sure I'd feel comfortable telling my kids to call cops if they need help.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
How do you even teach your kids who cops are anymore?

That officer friendly shit finally got a camera pointed at it. Serious question, I'm not even sure how I'd approach it. I'm not sure I'd feel comfortable telling my kids to call cops if they need help.
You are not supposed to call the cops. You are supposed to have a gun.