Quantcast

Pesqueeb

bicycle in airplane hangar
Feb 2, 2007
Riding the baggage carousel.
done and done.
:thumb:

-Rep coming your way if you can't point to the "cops suck" post, or even just a general cop bashing post. There have been far more cop apologists on here than anyone bitching about cops in general.
:stupid:
I'd have to go back and re-read everything but I don't recall anyone saying "fvck all cops" or anything along those lines. People have questioned an officer’s action in specific scenarios, not cast general aspersions on the public service community the way some here have reacted. The implication that somehow a public servant is supposed to be beyond criticism if something untoward happens is however, ridiculous. Were all subject to judgment if we perform our jobs poorly, and we should be, even if you are just some poor, less than human, hollow shell, of an office drone. If you happen to have a job where failures are aired publicly, well that sucks, but chances are pretty good you knew that going in so I’m not so sympathetic. For instance, failure at my work is highly public:

and generally speaking, the general public and media have absolutely zero fvcking clue what they are talking about. I don't however, typically, get my panties all in a wad about it. It seems to me to speak to a greater issue if someone has to be so defensive.

$tinkle

Expert on blowing
Feb 12, 2003
I'd have to go back and re-read everything but I don't recall anyone saying "fvck all cops" or anything along those lines.
srsly? you don't transliterate 'Eff da po-lice some more' to be just that?
For instance, failure at my work is highly public:
failure @ my work means i hit ctrl-B, ctrl-F11 (in debug mode)

sometimes i fart too hard & poop my pants, which co-workers can smell.

Pesqueeb

bicycle in airplane hangar
Feb 2, 2007
Riding the baggage carousel.
srsly? you don't transliterate 'Eff da po-lice some more' to be just that?
When I'm on the :monkey:? No. Any thread on here that has the word "cop" somewhere in it typically has that tag. I've never read it as anymore as a jokey reference to NWA. But then maybe I'm not out looking for a reason to offended.

rockofullr

confused
Jun 11, 2009
East Bay, Cali
Ill just go ahead and copypasta my post from the "active shooter" thread here.

Can we all agree that cops fvck up, just like the rest of us :eek:. They should probably take the tasering, beating, shooting, etc. down a notch (not all, just some).

People who are cops/want to be cops/have a cop in the family/whatever, you don't need to defend every action by other officers.

I'm an engineer and I don't jump to tell people that they can't understand how hard it is to design a bridge when "Engineering Disasters" comes on the History Channel. It's hard to predict every variable in a huge project and one botched equation can result in loss of life or large amounts of $$$ but no one cares. They expect engineers to get it right, and if they don't get it right people will probably talk mad sh!t.

Cops should stand for law and order, protect and serve. So just like the morally conservative politician who turns out to be gay, if you stand for one thing and don't appear to walk the walk you will end up in the paper and people will talk sh!t on you. Boohoo get over it.

To make a long story short, this argument is getting really old and to be honest I don't think their is any real point being debated.

MMike

A fowl peckerwood.
Sep 5, 2001
just sittin' here drinkin' scotch
I would agree excess and unnecessary force was used, and I understand your personal involvement with autism.

But this became a cop bashing thread, which really has no justification.

I lived in big cities with the best police force and the worse (New York and New Orleans). Good and bad are both there, and I rather discuss specific cases, like the one you posted, than say, "Cops suck".
I stand by whatever I've said.

early on manimal even said that "we" expect "white collar results with blue collar hiring standards".

Which to me implies that by and large, there aren't too many beat cops wandering out there saying, "yeah....I thought about completing my PhD in Quantum Mechanics....but I figured I'd be a cop instead"

I have tried (honestly) to see both sides of this. But I just can't. I cannot see how the cops who did this are not begging for forgiveness. It's all well and good to **** up. Even **** up royally. But they are sticking to their story. And they hauled him in, even after learning about his condition. (You read about the heart condition as well as the autism right? Tasers are great for that too).

They protected and served no-one.

And a propos of nothing, one year in CEGEP (which is like junior college after high school before you go to real university...school system is different here)

Anyhoo, I had the misfortune of having my locker located adjacent to the "Police Tech" dept. And let me tell you.....the mouth breathing troglodites that program attracted, more than likely had a lot to do with my disdain for law enforcement.

$tinkle

Expert on blowing
Feb 12, 2003
Anyhoo, I had the misfortune of having my locker located adjacent to the "Police Tech" dept. And let me tell you.....the mouth breathing troglodites that program attracted, more than likely had a lot to do with my disdain for law enforcement.
obviously, these were the hanson bros in the off-season

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
I stand by whatever I've said.

early on manimal even said that "we" expect "white collar results with blue collar hiring standards".

Which to me implies that by and large, there aren't too many beat cops wandering out there saying, "yeah....I thought about completing my PhD in Quantum Mechanics....but I figured I'd be a cop instead"

I have tried (honestly) to see both sides of this. But I just can't. I cannot see how the cops who did this are not begging for forgiveness. It's all well and good to **** up. Even **** up royally. But they are sticking to their story. And they hauled him in, even after learning about his condition. (You read about the heart condition as well as the autism right? Tasers are great for that too).

They protected and served no-one.

And a propos of nothing, one year in CEGEP (which is like junior college after high school before you go to real university...school system is different here)

Mike,

I'm not trying to defend what happened here or cops in general.

The Diallo shooting happened 2 miles from my parent's house. Oscar Grant was shot at a station I use.

But you really went off on cops in general, and I'm not into that.

I stand by what I said as well.

manimal

Ociffer Tackleberry
Feb 27, 2002
Blindly running into cactus
ah...now i get it. you were shoved in a locker by the police techs and now you're pissed?! ;)

Silver

find me a tampon
Jul 20, 2002
Orange County, CA

Upgr8r

High Priest or maybe Jedi Master
May 2, 2006
Ventura, CA
"For one officer to do this to a visibly disabled woman is bad. For two others not to say or do anything is, too. For all three of them simply to walk on suggests they have forgotten what their job involves," Holmes said.

Video doesn't tell the whole story, I'm sure...
Hey leave the officer alone. He has a rough job and only had a split second to decide if she represented a threat

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
http://www.nytimes.com/2012/01/25/nyregion/connecticut-police-officers-accused-of-mistreating-latinos.html?_r=1

They were known as Miller’s Boys, police officers who worked the 4-to-midnight shift, patrolling the largely working-class town of East Haven, Conn., including the small but growing Hispanic community that has spread out in recent years from New Haven.

The officers were more than well known in that community; according to residents and federal authorities, they were feared. They stopped and detained people, particularly immigrants, without reason, federal prosecutors said, sometimes slapping, hitting or kicking them when they were handcuffed, and once smashing a man’s head into a wall. They followed and arrested residents, including a local priest, who tried to document their behavior.

They rooted through stores looking for damning security videotapes of how they had treated some of their targets, described by one of them on a police radio as having “drifted to this country on rafts made of chicken wings.”

And after it became known that the Justice Department was investigating the department, according to an indictment unsealed on Tuesday, a picture of a rat appeared on a police union bulletin board, and in the locker room, an ominous note: “You know what we do with snitches?”

On Tuesday, the Federal Bureau of Investigation arrested Sgt. John Miller and three of his officers — David Cari, Dennis Spaulding and Jason Zullo — on charges of conspiracy, false arrest, excessive force and obstruction of justice over what the indictment described as years of mistreatment of individuals, especially Hispanics, and efforts to cover it up.

Following on the heels of a scathing Justice Department report in December that found the East Haven police had engaged in widespread “biased policing, unconstitutional searches and seizures, and the use of excessive force,” the indictment portrayed a harrowing picture of arbitrary justice for Hispanic residents.

...more

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
The East Haven mayor heard JonKranked talking about tacos...

Hours after four of his officers were arrested and charged with discriminating against Latinos, Mayor Joseph Maturo told a reporter Tuesday that he might go home and eat tacos.

Maturo later said he wished he could take back the statements he made to a reporter Tuesday afternoon. He blamed the comment on a long work day.

When WPIX reporter Mario Diaz asked Maturo what he plans to do for the Latino community, Maturo said, "I might have tacos when I go home. I'm not quite sure yet."

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
This is how you do it, smash down the blue wall of corruption... When officers punish fellow officers for whistle blowing, punish the punishers, and punish the cops who could have done something but didn't. Good job Canadia :thumb:

http://www.thestar.com/news/crime/article/1202587--rookie-cop-takes-heat-for-arresting-off-duty-officer

Rookie cop takes heat for arresting off-duty officer

It’s an impaired driving case like thousands of others except it involves a rookie Toronto police officer who crossed the thin blue line and paid the price.

Const. Andrew Vanderburgh was “harassed and berated” by fellow officers because on Nov. 28, 2009, he arrested and charged an off-duty police constable with impaired driving and having a blood-alcohol level over 80 milligrams, according to an internal police disciplinary ruling.

Some officers also allegedly called Vanderburgh a “rat,” Justice Paul Reinhardt wrote in a pre-trial ruling.

On Tuesday, Vanderburgh was in Old City Hall court to testify at Breton Berthiaume’s long-delayed impaired driving trial. He declined to comment except to say that while he does not regret charging a fellow officer, the fallout has been difficult.

Berthiaume, a Halton Region officer, has pleaded not guilty.

Also in court was Const. Suhail Khawaja, who accompanied Vanderburgh in his squad car the evening of the arrest.

That night, Vanderburgh and Khawaja went to Berthiaume’s home in High Park after a 911 caller reported seeing someone driving erratically on the Don Valley Parkway, and had recorded the licence plate number.

The officers took Berthiaume to neighbouring 22 Division, the closest station where a breath technician was present, and required him to give breath samples.

Some officers there “took exception to a police officer being charged or investigated,” Crown Attorney Mary-Anne Mackett told court Tuesday, providing an overview of the convoluted 2½-year-old case.

Reinhardt, who is no longer the judge in the Berthiaume case, said in his pre-trial ruling that disclosure he reviewed alleged Khawaja “refused to assist Constable Vanderburgh in the arrest and preparation of paperwork at 22 Division.”

“Constable Khawaja is purported to have stated on more than one occasion that evening to different informants that he wanted nothing to do with the arrest of a fellow police officer,” Reinhardt wrote.

Vanderburgh, meanwhile, continued to pay a price.

After Berthiaume was released, Vanderburgh drove a marked police vehicle back to his division and was followed by a 22 Division cruiser driven by Const. James Little.

Little pulled him over and gave him a ticket for allegedly disobeying a red light, which was later dismissed. Last year, Little pleaded guilty to one count of discreditable conduct under the Police Services Act.

Little chose “to disregard his professional obligations and embark on a course of retaliatory action against a colleague performing his sworn, lawful duty,” Supt. Robin Breen wrote in his ruling.

“He abused his position to express his personal displeasure about his colleague’s arrest of an off-duty police officer.” Little was docked 20 days’ pay.

Two other officers, including a staff sergeant who failed to intervene, were disciplined in the incident. One was also docked 20 days’ pay, the other 15.

“Those penalties are at the upper end and reflect seriousness of what happened and demonstrate the determination of the service to hold people accountable in a meaningful way,” Toronto police spokesman Mark Pugash said Tuesday.

Pugash said the names of the two other officers cannot be disclosed because they were dealt with at the divisional level. However, Reinhardt’s pre-trial ruling referred to incomplete police disclosure records of Khawaja’s “misconduct” on Nov. 28, 2009.

Berthiaume’s impaired driving trial, meanwhile, has been put over until Feb. 18 when he plans to represent himself after firing his lawyer. He remains on active duty with the Halton force.

JohnE

filthy rascist
May 13, 2005
Front Range, dude...
Manyyears ago, when I was a "beat Cop" I responded to a call of a kid loitering on a street corner. On arrival I made contact with the kid, who was 15 or 16, skinny as a rail, and covered in gang tatts. Crip or Blood out of LA...I dont remember which, but that doesnt matter. He had been thrown out of LA by his Mom, who feared for his life, and sent to live with his sister in the Chicago suburbs. I had him in custody for about 2 hours waiting on sis to come pick him up. In talking to him he showed a very high level of intelligence and was generally a nice kid. Eventually I asked him what attracted him to gangs...he said the usual "All my friends..." Then he says "We are just like you...you wear uniforms, we wear uniforms, you have special language, we have special language. You have ranks, we have ranks...etc etc"
Hmmm...still ruminate on that one from time to time. Smart kid, wonder what happened to him...

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
Gangs shoot rats, cops shoot rats?

Didn't Manimal have a story about a domestic call at a cops house who tried to flash a badge when they came to the door?

I have a real issue when cops cover up for others or expect fellow cops to cover up their own bad behavior.

manimal

Ociffer Tackleberry
Feb 27, 2002
Blindly running into cactus
Gangs shoot rats, cops shoot rats?

Didn't Manimal have a story about a domestic call at a cops house who tried to flash a badge when they came to the door?

I have a real issue when cops cover up for others or expect fellow cops to cover up their own bad behavior.
Yes, he was DEA or Marshall...one of the fed agencies. Tried to badge me and tell me that he had the situation handled. I ended up having to hook him up and take his weapons. I wasn't very happy with him for doing that.
There is a "Trust Betrayed" section on the BP intranet site that displays the photo and crime synopsis of every agent who has betrayed the public trust. It has former agents who have done everything from smuggling to misuse of government credit cards on there. It's a solemn reminder of how the few can make the many look bad.

Edit: I was going through an old hard drive and found this video from a few years back when I was working in the projects, thought it was somewhat fitting ;)

Last edited: