Quantcast

EFF! HBO tracked me down!

Dog Welder

Turbo Monkey
Sep 7, 2001
Pasadena, CA
Just got a letter from Charter, my internet provider, saying they'll cancel my service if I dont cease and desist.

Although its a great series and I have just one more episode to go....don't download GENERATION KILL from a torrent siite. HBOs on the ball.

So am I now on some sort of copyright watch list?

drkenan

anti-dentite
Oct 1, 2006
west asheville
At least you didn't create the torrent - then you'd really be in trouble. I'm sure HBO creates them all the time and then just logs the IP's of everyone who connects. Did you finish the download?

Windowlicker

Monkey
Dec 27, 2007
Santa Cruz
wow that sucks

i just Tivo everything then stream it to my computer or save it to my computer over my network.

PS:
<we do not offer illegal services on Ridemonkey - jbp>

Last edited by a moderator:

Dog Welder

Turbo Monkey
Sep 7, 2001
Pasadena, CA
At least you didn't create the torrent - then you'd really be in trouble. I'm sure HBO creates them all the time and then just logs the IP's of everyone who connects. Did you finish the download?
Hell yeah I finished it..and it was good too. How much do I have to worry now? Or just refrain from DL HBO stuff?

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
Dude... you're on "the list" - you might want to consider NOT stealing copyrighted stuff on the Internet. :rolleyes:

Also - you might consider wiping all traces of anything you DID pirate from your computer.
That's some paranoid talk coming from a computer guy :p

You are supposing that there is a "list" which I suspect there is not (outside of a possible tag on your ISP account saying you got a letter). Layer 2 and 3 addresses are not good ways of trying to track someone remotely except on a temporary basis.

Also, wiping your computer? What, because they're likely to be able to remotely comb your drive? As long as you're not sharing the files, you're okay. Of course, when you download a torrent you are by nature sharing at the same time but retroactively deleting pirated files because of legal concerns is kinda silly. The FBI isn't going to kick in your door any time soon.

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
That's some paranoid talk coming from a computer guy :p

You are supposing that there is a "list" which I suspect there is not (outside of a possible tag on your ISP account saying you got a letter). Layer 2 and 3 addresses are not good ways of trying to track someone remotely except on a temporary basis.

Also, wiping your computer? What, because they're likely to be able to remotely comb your drive? As long as you're not sharing the files, you're okay. Of course, when you download a torrent you are by nature sharing at the same time but retroactively deleting pirated files because of legal concerns is kinda silly. The FBI isn't going to kick in your door any time soon.
Let's just say that it probably pays to be on the safe side of this one. I suspect that DW isn't interested in an expensive lawsuit...

It's likely that simply STOPPING illegal downloading would be sufficient at this point.

BigMike

BrokenbikeMike
Jul 29, 2003
Montgomery county MD
I got a letter from Comcast a while ago, did some research on it, and it really doesn't matter. They use it as a scare tactic. Once you get 3 of them, THEN is it time to watch your tracks.

I also got an auction pulled from eBay once for selling "Unlicensed" DVDs. They came from China, how was I supposed to know? Paramount wasn't too happy about it, but nothing came of it.

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
It'll be a civil case, so they would send you a letter telling them they are going to subpoena your PC. I guess you could wipe the data then... :monkey:
I use my neighbors wifi, so he would be in more trouble than me :D

I should ask him if he's ever gotten any letters. But then he'd find out why his connection sucks.

Wumpus

makes avatars better
Dec 25, 2003
Six Shooter Junction
I use my neighbors wifi, so he would be in more trouble than me :D

I should ask him if he's ever gotten any letters. But then he'd find out why his connection sucks.

Hey, what ever happened to Dirt McGirk? Is he hanging out with N*8 in the hall of the banned? Did he get arrested and locked up in Las Vegas?