Quantcast

Effing Health Insurance!

Ciaran

Fear my banana
Apr 5, 2004
So Cal
Who did you go with? re you paying all on your own or is your employer footing part of the bill?

I am in the market for health insurance myself.

C

CQB

NO health insurance for me for 2.5 years now..My employer doesn't have it now & i can't afford it...

I think there is something called catastrophe insurance for breaks n stuff ?? Guess i could do a google search & find out.....

So? BIGMIKE how much do you pay & what is the dreaded "detuctable" ?

C

CQB

I know..Risky !
Went over the bars on a CR250R last year & out of pocket for a simple emergency room visit was $750 for x-rays ,etc.. Pulled my AC joint in shoulder real bad-got lucky though & it's healing up good....
I'm looking for some kind of insurance now.. I work with helicopters all day long & wait until it lands completely before i get up to it so it doesn't crush my foot...!

geargrrl

Turbo Monkey
May 2, 2002
pnw -dry side
CQB said:
NO health insurance for me for 2.5 years now..My employer doesn't have it now & i can't afford it...

I think there is something called catastrophe insurance for breaks n stuff ?? Guess i could do a google search & find out.....

So? BIGMIKE how much do you pay & what is the dreaded "detuctable" ?
there are a lot of high deductible plans out there for individuals. Yeah, you pay a lot more out of pocket to meet the deductible - typically 2500 to 5000 but the idea is that is for a real medical issue and not just going to the doc or ER for every little sniffle like so many people do. A high deductible plan really makes you think about how you spend your money, as compared to a typical PPO plan with a $10 copay for everything. But, they cost a whole lot less than a PPO or 80/20 plan.

If you are in WA/OR/AZ , Premera Lifewise is "ok" and they have some HSA plans too, so you can earn a return on your deductible bucks and get some tax benefit.

I've spent way too much time reseaching this stuff in WA.

You really should have catastrophic coverage at the minimum. I'll never forget being a medic at NORBA downhill some years ago, and they brought this guy off the hill on a backboard with a head/spine injury. His gf is freaking when she finds out that they've called the helicopter for him ( mandatory for head injuries) and she's crying that he doesn't have health insurance. Dude, should have thought about that BEFORE you start racing downhill...

gg

dogwonder

Nitro
May 3, 2005
Walking the Earth
geargrrl said:
You really should have catastrophic coverage at the minimum. I'll never forget being a medic at NORBA downhill some years ago, and they brought this guy off the hill on a backboard with a head/spine injury. His gf is freaking when she finds out that they've called the helicopter for him ( mandatory for head injuries) and she's crying that he doesn't have health insurance. Dude, should have thought about that BEFORE you start racing downhill...

gg
Wow...what a way to ruin a weekend. Not only do you crash in the downhill, you are hurt bad enough to get put on a backboard and get to go for a ride you can't afford!!!

Health insurance. Candidate for things you take for granted thread (at least for some of us).

biggins

Rump Junkie
May 18, 2003
man the one time i had a catastrophic injury was the one time i had an employer that provided insurance. didnt have it before and now i havent had it for about a year and a half. cant afford it. i usually just do what illegal immigrants do and give them a bunch of fake info so they treat me and i never have to pay anything.

BigMike

BrokenbikeMike
Jul 29, 2003
Montgomery county MD
Yeah Adam, how is that whole leg thing going?

as for my plan, I was quoted $130/ month for a $300 deductable, 20% coinsurance, supplemental accident insurance and adental rider.

Since I have chronic migraines, I am considered a high risk. They make me a level 3 out of 4 levels for risk. that brought it upto $228/month! :eek:

Bicyclist

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2004
SB
biggins said:
i usually just do what illegal immigrants do and give them a bunch of fake info so they treat me and i never have to pay anything.
Way to make the honest hardworking taxpayers pay for your injuries.

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
Insurance sucks. My wife just had knee surgery on Wednesday and I had to pay about $800 out of pocket for the deductable and other various fees. But I know the bill is way more.

BurlyShirley

Rex Grossman Will Rise Again
Jul 4, 2002
TN
Insurance is a POS, but I will NEVER go without it again. I got into debt just from getting freaking MONO! And I couldn pay for it, cause I couldnt work, too sick.

How can you NOT afford it? I mean, if you ride bicycles, you cant afford not to have it. You should have it BEFORE you have a bicyle. Seriously.

Wumpus

makes avatars better
Dec 25, 2003
Six Shooter Junction
BurlyShirley said:
Insurance is a POS, but I will NEVER go without it again. I got into debt just from getting freaking MONO! And I couldn pay for it, cause I couldnt work, too sick.

How can you NOT afford it? I mean, if you ride bicycles, you cant afford not to have it. You should have it BEFORE you have a bicyle. Seriously.
:stupid:

My broken hand cost well over $5000.

I think just an MRI will set you back a couple grand.:ouch:

geargrrl

Turbo Monkey
May 2, 2002
pnw -dry side
Wumpus said:
:stupid:

My broken hand cost well over $5000.

I think just an MRI will set you back a couple grand.:ouch:
My hubby just had one on his shoulder, I think it was only about 1500. The good news is that we've now met our deductible for this year so I think the surgery is going to happen asap.

Even you are paying out of pocket to meet a deductible, you'll still usually pay the "contracted" rate instead of full market.

I'm sure that this will piss someone off, but in a lot of ways I think high deductible plans are good. Too many people are used to having to pay only $10 for just about anything which is not realistic. Not that you should foot the whole bill but there's got to be some middle ground. The whole system is screwed up but that's a rant for a different day (?)

gg

BigMike

BrokenbikeMike
Jul 29, 2003
Montgomery county MD
BurlyShirley said:

I completely agree!!

I have a lot of friends that ride that don't have insurance, and I just can't figure out what the heck they are thinking!