Quantcast

Egg Beaters now that you've abused them for awhile

spincrazy

I love to climb
Jul 19, 2001
Brooklyn
Now that those of you that have purchased these pedals have used them for awhile and some of the hype has died down, what do you think? Have the held up as far as durability, etc.? What type of riding do you primarily do on them? Would I be stupid to want to do 3-4ft drops with them?

I was sold on the Control Z pedals from Time (clipless with a nice platform) because the terrain I ride in is very technical and if you crash or stab and have to get back on in a gnarly section you can still ride well without being clipped in, but they are boat anchors like the rest of the Time line. I love Times, but maybe something lighter.

I had originally wanted to purchase the egg beaters, but never got around to it. Now I'm reconsidering because of the weight of the Z pedals and the possible benefit of having 4 sides to clip into. I wonder if they'll hold up spindle-wise, etc. to bigger drops and such though.

KrusteeButt

I can't believe its not butter!
Jul 3, 2001
why the hell do YOU care?!
I LOVE MINE! I've been on 'em since June (I think?) and they've been great. Mostly technical XC riding. You've been to CO, right? You know what the riding is like here.

Drops? Well, I pretty much don't do drops at all (chicken sh*t), but because of the lack of "platform" I'd be nervous to try it...though I was nervous to try that when I had SPDs. :rolleyes:

Ridemonkey

This is not an active account
Sep 18, 2002
Toronto, Canada
I love the retention mechanism but the bearing/bushing assembly isn't very solid.

I'd be very interested in trying the Look version. The Looks use the same spring mechanism (licensed from Crank Bros) but they use a high quality cro-mo spindle with needle bearings rather than bushings.

I Are Baboon

The Full Dopey
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England
Well Spin, you know what kind of riding I do. I don't know all the mechanical stuff, but the pedals are doing just swell. :D I have gotten very comfortable with them. The pedals have taken some serious licks and are still working like they're brand spankin' new. I have started doing some smaller drops (2 and 3 footers) with no problems.

If we could get together for a ride, I'd let you try them out. I just got a new pair of shoes and can use SPD's.

wooglin

Monkey
Apr 4, 2002
SC
I've been using eb's since February or so for XC/trail riding. No problems whatsoever despite bashing the crap out of them on rocks and roots and such. I don't know that I do drops per se -- I just ride over crap -- but if it were me I wouldn't worry about it.

spincrazy

I love to climb
Jul 19, 2001
Brooklyn
Yeah, I was gong to use that banner ad deal if I get em. I don't need new shoes perse, as I have three pairs now and only wear one, but new is good.

Ok, I'll get em. Thanks for the info doooods.

fonseca

Monkey
May 2, 2002
Virginia
Mine need new bushings badly. 2mm of play on the left pedal and 1.5 on the right. By play I mean movement in the direction of the spindle. There is also some side to side movement. I'm going to email crank bros about a rebuild kit, as they supposedly have great customer service. I have seen ads for eggbeaters in Bike mag, and it looks like there is now a rubber seal on the inner lip of the pedal body. Mine don't have that, but if they did I bet I wouldn't have the above problems.

I weigh 195, and I have been riding them for about 8 months. Love the pedals except for the above problem, definitely prefer them over Times. I have cleaned and regreased them 4 times at regular intervals, which only takes 5 minutes. They feel great for the first 2 rides after being regreased, but then the play is right back. And I need new cleats too. Some people only get 6 months out of the cleats, and others are fine after a year; depends on how often you clip in and out I guess.

I'd still buy them again, but if you are in the market, get the 2003 model, and not the 2002. And watch out at performance and nashbar, as they have the 2002 on sale, but show a picture of the 2003. That's kinda misleading imho.

Originally posted by fonseca
Mine need new bushings badly. 2mm of play on the left pedal and 1.5 on the right. By play I mean movement in the direction of the spindle. There is also some side to side movement. I'm going to email crank bros about a rebuild kit, as they supposedly have great customer service. I have seen ads for eggbeaters in Bike mag, and it looks like there is now a rubber seal on the inner lip of the pedal body. Mine don't have that, but if they did I bet I wouldn't have the above problems.

rupert is a member here - but I'm sure this weekend he's at interbike. search for eggbeater threads and you'll find him!

wirly

Monkey
Mar 19, 2002
San Diego
The 2003s try to addresse the slop issue. I say try cuz I have not ridden them but they look sweet. They use a screw on cap, instead of the C-clip, which can tighten the whole mechanism which shoule eliminate side to side motion. Better seals and bushings and a handy grease port for flushing/lubing the system. THe top o the line is ALL Ti and silly light (like 185 or 195g) People were trippin at the show, they felt likethey had to be plastic. They also have 4 other models with less and less Ti and more and more stainless then a budget stell rig at the last price point.
All of them are very nice looking. Some may not care for the gold look some of the springs are getting though.

Price tag for the flagship...$400 retail.

fonseca

Monkey
May 2, 2002
Virginia
A greaseport is a great idea! I think I would stay away from ti anyway since I weigh 195. I guess this is what I get for buying in the first year of production, but oh well. They have been great pedals otherwise.

spincrazy

I love to climb
Jul 19, 2001
Brooklyn
Originally posted by Rodger
And?
Bought them already?
If so, how you like 'em?
If not, ask me what I think of 'em.
No, haven't yet bought them. I'm trying to space out my bike part purchases lately as I've been making so damned many. What do you think? A good friend of mine bought some recently and he loves them.

Heidi

Der hund ist laut und braun
Aug 22, 2001
Bend, Oregon
Originally posted by spincrazy

No, haven't yet bought them. I'm trying to space out my bike part purchases lately as I've been making so damned many. What do you think? A good friend of mine bought some recently and he loves them.
Spin - I still love mine.

Rodger

Chimp
Jul 22, 2002
The Netherlands
They r awesome Spin, just been riding the Roc d'Azur which was
pretty (DAMNED MUCH!) muddy, no problemo whatsoever, while
others were kicking their pedals and shoes to get in.

Had a muddy race 2 weeks ago (Holland), same story.

Buy em, you won't regret it.

Heidi

Der hund ist laut und braun
Aug 22, 2001
Bend, Oregon
Originally posted by Rodger
They r awesome Spin, just been riding the Roc d'Azur which was
pretty (DAMNED MUCH!) muddy, no problemo whatsoever, while
others were kicking their pedals and shoes to get in.

Had a muddy race 2 weeks ago (Holland), same story.

Buy em, you won't regret it.
People over in Germany and France laughed when they saw them. Then the rain came down in buckets the night before the races and while everyone else was cussing and stomping on rocks trying to unclog their cleats, I was cruising right on by.

KrusteeButt

I can't believe its not butter!
Jul 3, 2001
why the hell do YOU care?!
I'm just curious about the whole thing with "needle bearings" on Look's version of the pedals. RM's talked about that being "better" than the bushings on Crank Bros., but I have to be honest I don't really even know what I should be noticing or "feeling" when it comes the bushings. :confused:

Squeak

Get your pork here.
Sep 26, 2001
COlo style
The axel of the pedal has plastic bushings that are meant to wear out eventually. The play would be along the axel, up and down. I think. :)

spincrazy

I love to climb
Jul 19, 2001
Brooklyn
KB, I don't think that the 'feel' is what they are refering to so much when talking bushings and bearings, it's the wear factor and maintenance.

I have to wait. All my cash is going into my ride for the past 3 months (can you believe that?). Right now I still need a new rear tire, brake pads and a new rim and spokes. It is so easy to spend $200 dollars on basic mt bike stuff. I unfortunately have been spending much, much more and still need stuff....

Rodger

Chimp
Jul 22, 2002
The Netherlands
Originally posted by spincrazy

I have to wait. All my cash is going into my ride for the past 3 months (can you believe that?).
Yes, I believe that cuz my cash has been goin
there the last 7 months and will be the coming
months (MUST have Ti Egg Beaters *stomps foot*)

@ Heidi : Germans and Frenchies r stubborn by nature. ;)
Yeah, I know, you did Willingen right? Twas muddy there I
heard, purfect circumstances for the Egg Beaters.