Quantcast

Eggbeater or Candy?

Tully

Monkey
Oct 8, 2003
Seattle, WA
For my trail bike, I'm debating between Eggbeater or Candy pedals. I can get either for a good price, so that doesn't matter. I guess my main question is, for those who have actually ridden the Candy, or preferably both, does the platform on the Candy's actually matter? It's such a minimalist platform that I'm not sure that it's really even worth having, so if not, I might as well just get the Eggbeaters. Also, for those who have ridden Eggbeaters: when riding unclipped, do they offer enough grip that they don't need a platform?

indieboy

Want fries with that?
Jan 4, 2002
atlanta
Tully said:
For my trail bike, I'm debating between Eggbeater or Candy pedals. I can get either for a good price, so that doesn't matter. I guess my main question is, for those who have actually ridden the Candy, or preferably both, does the platform on the Candy's actually matter? It's such a minimalist platform that I'm not sure that it's really even worth having, so if not, I might as well just get the Eggbeaters. Also, for those who have ridden Eggbeaters: when riding unclipped, do they offer enough grip that they don't need a platform?
i've had pretty good luck with those pedals. i have an older set so the bearings are blown but that problems been solved with the newer verisons. the candy's were created to shut ppl up about their lack of "platform". a compliant that came from ppl who weren't probably riding the pedals to begin with. don't really see the purpose of standing on pedals not being clipped in, just in my opinion from my experiences i feel way out of control when i'm not in my pedals....if you really want a platform go with the mallet or mallet c's that crankbrothers offer.

as for the pedals, they work great. step on them and it finds a side to roll over and you're in...simple. i used them on my CX bike and didn't have any real compliants about them.

Carbon Fetish

Monkey
May 6, 2002
Irvine, CA
indieboy said:
i've had pretty good luck with those pedals. i have an older set so the bearings are blown but that problems been solved with the newer verisons. the candy's were created to shut ppl up about their lack of "platform". a compliant that came from ppl who weren't probably riding the pedals to begin with. don't really see the purpose of standing on pedals not being clipped in, just in my opinion from my experiences i feel way out of control when i'm not in my pedals....if you really want a platform go with the mallet or mallet c's that crankbrothers offer.

as for the pedals, they work great. step on them and it finds a side to roll over and you're in...simple. i used them on my CX bike and didn't have any real compliants about them.
:stupid:

I use the egg beaters on my cross country bikes and the candies on my cyclocross bike. I have to use the cleat shims with my Shimano 220 shoes so they work better on my candies. I only use the candy on my CX to promote the pedals, otherwise I would use the egg beaters.

FYI: I am an intern at Crank Brothers

BTW Indie, I can get you a rebuild kit if you still have your old egg beaters.

Tully

Monkey
Oct 8, 2003
Seattle, WA
I already have Mallets on my DH bike, and I really like them, but i want something light and with less of a platform for XC/trail riding. I rarely ride with a foot unclipped, but I occasionally find it necessary in low-speed, technical sections.

douglas

Chocolate Milk Doug
May 15, 2002
Shut up and Ride
I have both, I definetly like the candys better for my xc bike, easier to clip back in, and the litttle platform is there just in case you dont immediately clip in (which is helpful to me when I get unclipped in super technical sections)

Snacks

Turbo Monkey
Feb 20, 2003
GO! SEAHAWKS!
I have the Mallets on my DH bike and ride the Candy's on my XC race bike and on my trail bike.

I have never rode with the Beatters, but really have no reason to. I love the Candy's and the Mallets. The platform on the Candy's at so small that you when you go to just stand on you pretty much clip right in.

indieboy

Want fries with that?
Jan 4, 2002
atlanta
Carbon Fetish said:
:stupid:

I use the egg beaters on my cross country bikes and the candies on my cyclocross bike. I have to use the cleat shims with my Shimano 220 shoes so they work better on my candies. I only use the candy on my CX to promote the pedals, otherwise I would use the egg beaters.

FYI: I am an intern at Crank Brothers

BTW Indie, I can get you a rebuild kit if you still have your old egg beaters.
i think we've got a couple sets of kits around the shop i work at. just been so busy working on other ppl's bikes that i rarely get a chance to work on my own......

Tully

Monkey
Oct 8, 2003
Seattle, WA
So I guess I'm gonna go for the Candy's. It sounds like the platform isn't really useable, but it can be helpfull at times.

Snacks

Turbo Monkey
Feb 20, 2003
GO! SEAHAWKS!
Tully said:
So I guess I'm gonna go for the Candy's. It sounds like the platform isn't really useable, but it can be helpfull at times.
They are great for banging into your shin when you slip 'em!

pixelninja

Turbo Monkey
Jun 14, 2003
Denver, CO
Tully said:
Yeah, not really all that usable, but they do provide a bit of support if you have difficulty clipping in. I swap mine out for flats when I'm tooling around town, but when riding trails I like the extra platform if you don't get in on the first try but you still need to keep pedaling to get through a steep techy section.

My 2 complaints with the Candy's are 1. No tension adjustment (I would like them a tad bit looser) and 2. They DO release if the pedal hits a rock while pedaling.

Snacks

Turbo Monkey
Feb 20, 2003
GO! SEAHAWKS!
pixelninja said:
My 2 complaints with the Candy's are 1. No tension adjustment (I would like them a tad bit looser) and 2. They DO release if the pedal hits a rock while pedaling.
Looser? Really? I feel that mine have loosened(sp) a bit since I started using them about a year ago...but I know the people that have gone from STP's to Crank Bros. really miss the tension adjustment.

Mine have never kicked me out when riding on any trail, even the gnarly local DH trails where I know I have slammed the bottem of them into rocks.

pixelninja

Turbo Monkey
Jun 14, 2003
Denver, CO
Snacks said:
Looser? Really? I feel that mine have loosened(sp) a bit since I started using them about a year ago...but I know the people that have gone from STP's to Crank Bros. really miss the tension adjustment.

Mine have never kicked me out when riding on any trail, even the gnarly local DH trails where I know I have slammed the bottem of them into rocks.
I've only been riding mine for a few months now, so maybe they'll loosen up some more. I've heard this happens. Or maybe I just like running them looser than most people.

At first I thought the whole "bang em on a rock and you'll pop free" was bogus. Then, over the course of 2 rides I popped out 3 times. All from smacking the pedal on a rock.

Don't get me wrong. I like these pedals. I like them a lot. And I plan on riding them until they die.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
pixelninja said:
I've only been riding mine for a few months now, so maybe they'll loosen up some more. I've heard this happens. Or maybe I just like running them looser than most people.

At first I thought the whole "bang em on a rock and you'll pop free" was bogus. Then, over the course of 2 rides I popped out 3 times. All from smacking the pedal on a rock.

Don't get me wrong. I like these pedals. I like them a lot. And I plan on riding them until they die.
The cleats on eggbeaters are brass (I think). As they wear in they feel like things are looser. You can take a dremel tool or a fine round file to the cleats to speed up the process.

pixelninja

Turbo Monkey
Jun 14, 2003
Denver, CO
Westy said:
The cleats on eggbeaters are brass (I think). As they wear in they feel like things are looser. You can take a dremel tool or a fine round file to the cleats to speed up the process.
Well, I haven't fallen over yet because I couldn't unclip, so I think I'll just let the loosening process happen naturally...

blue

boob hater
Jan 24, 2004
california
Another thing you may want to consider is that I've heard Candys are more susceptible to mud and gunk with the platform to get in the way, but they're still probably better than SPDs. I'd just go with the eggbeaters, the platform on the candys is so small that it doesn't matter.

trailhacker

Turbo Monkey
Jan 6, 2003
In the hills around Seattle
xbluethunderx said:
Another thing you may want to consider is that I've heard Candys are more susceptible to mud and gunk with the platform to get in the way, but they're still probably better than SPDs. I'd just go with the eggbeaters, the platform on the candys is so small that it doesn't matter.
I haven't had that problem at all...the platform is pretty open so getting crap stuck in there is hard. I have rode my Candy's and Mallets both in the rain, mud, sand and clay and haven't had any issues. Granted I have never used SPD's so I can't compare the gunk factor between the two. I know I was shocked to see the difference in the two pedals and the amount of moving parts the SPD's have to any of the Crank Bros.

davod

Chimp
Jun 13, 2004
my eggbeaters have some up/down play when I'm clipped in. New cleats as well. Anyone else have this problem?

Carbon Fetish

Monkey
May 6, 2002
Irvine, CA
davod said:
my eggbeaters have some up/down play when I'm clipped in. New cleats as well. Anyone else have this problem?
FYI, I handle part of the customer service, warranty, ordering, and shipping for Crank Brothers. I don't quite understand the play that you are describing. What model EBs do you have? Have you ridden EBs before?

pixelninja

Turbo Monkey
Jun 14, 2003
Denver, CO
davod said:
Do you mean that when you're clipped in, you can lift your shoe off the pedal a bit?

Also, I now have the Eggbeaters. I had the Candys on my last bike. Haven't tried the eggs yet as I just got them, but I'll be going for a good 25-27 miler on Sunday, so I'm curious to see if they feel any different than the Candys.

pixelninja

Turbo Monkey
Jun 14, 2003
Denver, CO
pixelninja said:
Also, I now have the Eggbeaters. I had the Candys on my last bike. Haven't tried the eggs yet as I just got them, but I'll be going for a good 25-27 miler on Sunday, so I'm curious to see if they feel any different than the Candys.
Ok, so here are my impressions of the Candys vs the Eggbeaters

1. Eggbeaters seemed a bit easier to get into. I have Specialized shoes and they've always given me problems when trying to clip in. I think the lack of platform gives my cleats a better shot at clipping in.

2. No difference in releasing

3. Candy platforms really don't help if you can't get clipped in. The eggbeaters felt the same when trying to re-start while in the middle of a climb. I know this contradicts what I stated earlier, but after riding both, I have to admit that my pre-conceived notions are wrong.

4. Both suffer from unexpected release if you smack the pedal on a rock while pedaling.

All in all, I'd say that the Eggbeaters are the way to go. After riding both, I see no advantage to the platform of the Candys.

Heath Sherratt

Turbo Monkey
Jun 17, 2004
In a healthy tension
pixelninja said:
Ok, so here are my impressions of the Candys vs the Eggbeaters

4. Both suffer from unexpected release if you smack the pedal on a rock while pedaling.

The cleats can be re-installed on the other shoe to create a firmer release. Directions in box. I had same problem until i switched them-then wa-la no more problem. As for the benie's of the candy vs. eb's- the eb's are lighter and work very well with carbon/stiff soled shoes. The benefit of the candy is the platform for contact area and for cyclocross folks who have to dismount and remount in the mud. Other than that, I chose the eb's for trail riding and the mallet m's for dh and dual slalom. They are very nice :)

pixelninja

Turbo Monkey
Jun 14, 2003
Denver, CO
Heath Sherratt said:
The cleats can be re-installed on the other shoe to create a firmer release. Directions in box. I had same problem until i switched them-then wa-la no more problem.
I may give that a shot. I like my pedal tension loose, but the disengagement issue bugs me enough that I'll see what the firmer release feels like.

davod

Chimp
Jun 13, 2004
when I pedal, I can lift my cleat off the pedal a little. The wing thing also has a little bit of play. ~1.5 year old eggbeaters. Ridden them for ~1 year (they were my brother's before that).