Quantcast

eggbeaters for clydesdale??

G-Cracker

Monkey
May 2, 2002
Tucson, beatch!
Hey everyone... I've got a buddy who is wanting to go clipless on his new bike, but he is a big guy. He's concerned about the durability of eggbeaters with his weight. What about the footprint of eggbeaters compared to shimano?

Any clydesdales out there recommend a good, durable pedal that can withstand some serious cranking?

Thanks...:dancing:

dfinn

Turbo Monkey
Jul 24, 2003
SL, UT
I'm weighing in at a robust 240 pounds and I've had no issues at all with my Candys. I like the added platform, it doesn't look like much but it helps out in those tough situations.

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
I used Shimano's and I use Eggbeaters right now. They seem to hold up fine from a moderate amount of abuse, and I use the Ti cages as well.

macko

Turbo Monkey
Jul 12, 2002
THE Palouse
I'm weighing in at about 205 and run eggbeaters on my xc and had candy's on my SS (that is, until it jacked. I'm still pissed...) I think they're great and have yet to yield any sort of mechanical problem from them. they've changed my view on going clipless.

Angus

Jack Ass Pen Goo Win
Oct 15, 2004
South Bend
I have been running Times for 6 years now (Same pair) I am right at 2 balloons, but I ride hard put thousands of miles a year on them and the past three years its been all single speed.

manhattanprjkt83

Rusty Trombone
Jul 10, 2003
Nilbog
For the bigger guys i would shy away from the regular egg beaters, a friend of mine here who is 185 bent the spindle down a bit on his ti version. The candy's are by far the best option for him...Tell him to go with the regular spindle version (not ti). I am light but beat the crap out of mine, (repetitive drops and just general abuse) and mine are a dream :drool:

brungeman

I give a shirt
Jan 17, 2006
da Burgh
manhattanprjkt83 said:
For the bigger guys i would shy away from the regular egg beaters, a friend of mine here who is 185 bent the spindle down a bit on his ti version. The candy's are by far the best option for him...Tell him to go with the regular spindle version (not ti). I am light but beat the crap out of mine, (repetitive drops and just general abuse) and mine are a dream :drool:
I'm with Him!!! I also ride with the guy who Manhattan, is talking about, that bent the Ti spindle... he is a great rider and doesn't beat up equipment, so for him to bend it, I was worried about them myself... But the Candies are nice and supportive! having seen them in action I would recomend them! I ride shimano's myself, but that is because all of my shoes have shimano cleats and my other bike has shimano pedals... so it is just convenient for me... starting from scratch? Candies!!!

G-Cracker

Monkey
May 2, 2002
Tucson, beatch!
Awesome... thanks for the feedback. So the plastic cage around teh Candy isn't cheap and weak?

Also... are the Shimano 540's a better deal than the Candy Eggbeaters?

manhattanprjkt83

Rusty Trombone
Jul 10, 2003
Nilbog
G-Cracker said:
Awesome... thanks for the feedback. So the plastic cage around teh Candy isn't cheap and weak?

Also... are the Shimano 540's a better deal than the Candy Eggbeaters?
Not at all, shimano cages pale in comparison (i broke many resin caged platforms prior to owning candies)...

I wouldnt worry about a few bucks on a "deal" you are talking about a key product on your bike...I am an ex die hard shimano guy who bought into some hype about crank bros, great mistake...i wont go back ever again...