Quantcast

eggplant poll

Eggplant Opinion Poll 2008

• Total voters

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
I eat it when it is fried and covered in cheese, but I'd eat my own shoe when fried and covered in cheese.

Please vote.
Looking at poll results, I gotcher wife's back. Eggplant is excellent if properly prepared. If you screw up, it's bitter and tough.

Try following:

Mash a bunch of garlic into some olive oil and let it sit for an hour or so.
Cut an eggplant into long slices, 3/8 to 1/2" thick.
Brush both sides of slices with the garlive oil, mebbe grind some pepper on, put on a cookie sheet, broil for five minutes.
Brush, turn slices, broil until tender.

Consume with beer.

TreeSaw

Mama Monkey
Oct 30, 2003
Dancin' over rocks n' roots!
I like it. Grilled, parmagiana, mashed into a dip for pita chips, grilled in a salad with goat cheese (ok, I said I liked it). As for nutritional value, it's actually quite low in Saturated Fat, Cholesterol and Sodium and contains a fair amount of fiber with some protein too. I do agree that if it isn't cooked right, it's pretty awful.

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
Nah its pretty low in nutritional value (ie there is nothing in it) for a vegetable even in its raw form before you cook it and it loses nutrients. Its got decent fiber, some minerals and some vitamins but its not a nutritional all-star of the vegetable family. I still like it prepared right and its a lot better than nothing food like iceberg lettuce...

Nobody

Danforth Kitchen Whore
Sep 5, 2001
Toronto
It's widely used in the most wrongest way... hence the ambivalence.

aubergines are popular in Italy but are treated properly, so it's a toss up

Damo

Short One Marshmallow
Sep 7, 2006
French Alps
I like them. Like johnbryanpeters says, grilled with garlic oil is good. I grow them in my veg garden in the summers...

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
If anyone is in Glastonbury, CT, Gino's Pizza on New London Rd has the best Eggplant Parm anywhere.

geargrrl

Turbo Monkey
May 2, 2002
pnw -dry side
I've had some great eggplant is Thai dishes. I also like it breaded & fried with sauce & cheese. I like it grilled too.

I do this Thai "spicy eggplant" dish with Japanese eggplant, red chili, red pepper and onion, fresh Thai basil leaves.

AS JBP says, you cook the eggplant first, seperately, set it aside and then add it back in at the last minute.

gg

Damo

Short One Marshmallow
Sep 7, 2006
French Alps
Just started some aubergine (eggplant) seeds 4 days ago. Today they stand about 5cm high. Damn things can grow. If they all survive, I'm not going to know what to do with 50 plants.....

Broken_Spoke

Mr. Big Hot Pastrami
Feb 26, 2003
Bozeman, MT
Just started some aubergine (eggplant) seeds 4 days ago. Today they stand about 5cm high. Damn things can grow. If they all survive, I'm not going to know what to do with 50 plants.....
Shoot if you didn't live in France I'd say send some to me, but if you have a farmers market you could probably sell them