Quantcast

'Einstein Flip': A unique BMX stunt

ghettorigged

lawn dart extraordinare
Apr 8, 2002
Killadelphia
Physicist and stunt rider create World's first 'Einstein Flip'

A unique BMX stunt, created in a collaboration between a physicist and one of the UK’s top international stunt riders, was performed for the first time today (5th Jan 2005) to mark the launch of Einstein Year at the Science Museum in London.

Einstein was a keen cyclist and although there is no evidence to suggest he ever attempted a “360-degree back-flip with table-top”, or even a humble wheelie, it is claimed that inspiration for his theory of Special Relativity came to him while riding his bicycle.

One hundred years after the publication of his landmark papers on Special Relativity, Brownian Motion and the Photoelectric Effect, cycling and science will come together once more in another world first: a BMX bicycle stunt designed by a physicist.

The stunt was performed live and for the first time on 5th Jan 2005 at the official launch of Einstein Year at London’s Science Museum. It was commissioned by the Institute of Physics to mark the beginning of a year-long celebration of physics. Einstein Year is the UK’s contribution to the International Year of Physics in 2005.

Caitlin Watson, Einstein Year project manager, said: “Einstein Year is all about challenging people’s perceptions of physics – especially young people’s perceptions.

“Physics relates to all of our lives - from fun things like fizzy drinks to life-saving medical imaging technology. This innovative bike stunt is the perfect way of illustrating how fun and relevant physics can be to young people.”

Dubbed the ‘Einstein Flip’, the stunt is described as ‘pushing the boundaries of what it is humanly possible to do on a bike’ by Cambridge University physicist Helen Czerski, who collaborated with professional BMX rider Ben Wallace to create the manoeuvre.

In the stunt, 18-year-old Wallace, a competitor in extreme sports events around the world, launched off a six-feet high ramp and spun backwards through 360 degrees while simultaneously folding his bike underneath him in a move known to BMX devotees as a ‘tabletop’. At one point, onlookers saw Wallace upside down, travelling at 15mph, with his head 12-feet off the floor.

Czerski, a keen sportswoman and diver herself, said: “I spent a lot of time looking at the physics behind various stunts, trying to understand the limits of what is physically possible to determine how far we could push the parameters with our new creation. I then tested our ideas using a computer simulation to plot a new stunt.”

The stunt draws upon a variety of physics theories including the conservation of angular momentum and Newton's laws of motion.

Helen added: ‘When I first started to work out the details of this trick, I wondered if it was physically possible. But I did the maths - calculating Ben’s trajectory, where he will be at different times in the air, the shape and height of the ramp, his velocity and so on - and found that yes, it could work. Having said that, I wouldn’t want try this myself - however much I trust my physics calculations! There is simply no room for error.’

Ben would know: perfecting his repertoire of daring jumps, spins and tricks has cost him many bruises and broken bones. Although physics has helped him become a better rider, Ben says a healthy disregard for the laws of common sense will be almost as vital to his performance.

Link

Nov 5, 2004
hartlepool, uk
launched off a six-feet high ramp and spun backwards through 360 degrees while simultaneously folding his bike underneath him in a move known to BMX devotees as a ?tabletop?
so basically someone did a 360 backflip table and everyone was impressed? [i would be, but it aint ground breaking news...]

Toshi

butthole powerwashing evangelist
Oct 23, 2001
the 360 part is describing the backflip, if i read that correctly. so it's "just" a tabletop backflip, not that i can do one but still.

Echo

crooked smile
Jul 10, 2002
Slacking at work
I think we should have 10 pages of e-speculation about whether or not the dude does a 360, everyone should state their opinion as indisputable fact even though nobody knows for sure.

biggins

Rump Junkie
May 18, 2003
yeah cowan has been doing those for quite some time now. i mean hell there is one kid getting ready to pull backflip tailwhips on 26 inch and they have been doing them on 20 inch for a while. Just because some friggin science geek hadnt heard of it doesnt mean its new.

DHS

Friendly Neighborhood Pool Boy
Apr 23, 2002
Sand, CA
i saw video of the kid that DID the back flip tail whip on a 26" mtb. it was on a dirt jump, F'n HOT!

biggins

Rump Junkie
May 18, 2003
DHS said:
i saw video of the kid that DID the back flip tail whip on a 26" mtb. it was on a dirt jump, F'n HOT!

whoa he stuck it? It is the same kid that won the whistler slopestyle this year right?

biggins

Rump Junkie
May 18, 2003
you know as far as physics go however the backflip is in therory physically easier than a 360.

pnj

Turbo Monkey till the fat lady sings
Aug 14, 2002
seattle
biggins said:
you know as far as physics go however the backflip is in therory physically easier than a 360.
it is easier. it's just that you can try 360's all day and not die, unlike flips.

and for the guy on the 26 inch doing flip whips, I have been saying for sometime, it's not the bike, it's the rider. people tend to hold themselves back sometimes. "oh, bmx guys can do it, but I can't because of my bike..."

I have no idea what I'm trying to say..... :p

pnj

Aug 14, 2002
seattle
how old is that article?

bmx stunt riding will one day be like the freestyle skiers. how many flips and rotations do those guys do?

I don't understand the article. the backflip on a bmx bike is close to 20 years old. tweeking the bike in the middle to do a tabletop isn't that much different. other flip tricks are a lot tougher, flip whips, 360 flips, 360 flip whips, bar spin flips, double flips etc.

I think it was just some scientist doing some science stuff.....:)

biggins

Rump Junkie
May 18, 2003
pnj said:
it is easier. it's just that you can try 360's all day and not die, unlike flips.

and for the guy on the 26 inch doing flip whips, I have been saying for sometime, it's not the bike, it's the rider. people tend to hold themselves back sometimes. "oh, bmx guys can do it, but I can't because of my bike..."

I have no idea what I'm trying to say..... :p
dude what are you trying to say? :p

ghettorigged

lawn dart extraordinare
Apr 8, 2002
Killadelphia
ok, let me think for a sec.... :think:

a "flip" is referring to a 360 deg rotation on the vertical axis, right?

a "360" typically referrs to a 360 degree on the lateral axis, no?

So, as I picture it, this guy did a "flip" and a "360" while throwing a "tabletop" - all at once.

That's pretty f'in rad even if it HAS been done 20 times before. :thumb:

pnj

Aug 14, 2002
seattle
Echo said:
You should come visit, bring your 20 and we'll go to the foam pit and represent :D

we have a foam pit about 30 minutes away. one broken ankle already.
and, someone pee'd in it.

ahaha.

I had never jumped in one (we learned flips* on lake jumps, long before foam pits) so I took a few flops into it. I felt like a turtle stuck on my back trying to get out of the damm thing. :oink:

*just so I don't represent myself incorrectly, I can't do flips on dry ground.

Echo

crooked smile
Jul 10, 2002
Slacking at work
Yeah the foam pit is kinda nasty, and it was a bit of a pain to climb out until I figured out the trick of walking on my bike.

I've never tried flips into the pit, basically because even if I were able to do them into foam, I guarantee I would never try one landing on a ramp. Mostly I was working on 360's into the foam, I would like to try to land one of those someday.

pnj

Aug 14, 2002
seattle
ghettorigged said:
WTF?! Did they think it was a swimming pool or something? :nope:
no, just punk ass kids. you know how kids are these days..... :nuts:

biggins

Rump Junkie
May 18, 2003
pnj said:
no, just punk ass kids. you know how kids are these days..... :nuts:

they were probably riding 20 inch bikes and not wearing helmets :evil: :devil: :p

Roasted

Turbo Monkey
Jul 4, 2002
Whistler, BC
biggins said:
whoa he stuck it? It is the same kid that won the whistler slopestyle this year right?

Paul B...and no I don't think he stuck it, came close though. The pic was posted on ridemonkey somewhere.

pnj

Aug 14, 2002
seattle
biggins said:
they were probably riding 20 inch bikes and not wearing helmets :evil: :devil: :p
nope. they did have helmets. private park.....

they is a he, actually. for what it's worth, he didn't have brakes....:)

dexterq20

Turbo Monkey
Mar 6, 2003
NorCal
pnj said:
bmx stunt riding will one day be like the freestyle skiers. how many flips and rotations do those guys do?
There are a handful of guys who can spin 1260s (3.5 rotations) off of normal terrain park jumps.