Quantcast

"el cheapo" weight saving for pre-05 boxxers

vitox

Turbo Monkey
Sep 23, 2001
Santiago du Chili
this is something i discovered the other day when frankensteining springs and playing with the digital scale i use for narc... emmm bikeparts

see, RS went to a much steeper pitch on the 05 boxxer springs, so they have less material in them for this year, this means that despite of it having 1" more travel, the springs are considerably lighter than last year.

so....

you can save around a 1/4 pound just by switching to 05 springs.
even better, springs are cheaper this year! so expect to pay around 40usd for the pair

you might need to remove preload spacers and mayble also put a hacksaw to the volume spacers to make room for the new spring but thats a harmless mod.

have fun!

manwithgun

Monkey
Nov 4, 2004
Nice to know. I just did the opposite, 04 ex soft spring and spacer in 05 comp leg(left)... the spring is a bit shorter but the top spacer is longer; think there will be any bottoming issues?

vitox

Turbo Monkey
Sep 23, 2001
Santiago du Chili
yea there should be, i measured once when trying to do the same and i came up with a 197 (vs 203) mm travel figure for the 04 (soft) spring i was evaluating.

ChrisRobin

Turbo Monkey
Jan 30, 2002
Vancouver
That's good to know since Boxxer springs can fit other forks...it's just a question of cutting them down if you need to.

manwithgun

Monkey
Nov 4, 2004
vitox said:
yea there should be, i measured once when trying to do the same and i came up with a 197 (vs 203) mm travel figure for the 04 (soft) spring i was evaluating.
Yo vitox, does "yeah there should be," mean "yes it will coil bind," or "yes, it should be fine"? Sorry I'm easily confused... I think yer saying that the 04 spring and spacer will stack up 6mm before the fork is done traveling. No good. How about 04 spring/05 spacer. 05 spacer is 14mm shorter. Thanks again Old Wise One. :thumb:

clancy98

Monkey
Dec 6, 2004
vitox said:
this is something i discovered the other day when frankensteining springs and playing with the digital scale i use for narc... emmm bikeparts

hehe... its true though, get a digi (for whatever reason ;) ) and you will end up weighing pretty much every stupid insignificant part on your bike within a week. It's fun. :p

atb

Monkey
Jun 18, 2004
the north shore
right now in my boxxer im runing a set of springs that came out of a 1970's honda motercycle fork, there progressive, wide spacing bettwen the coils at one end and tight spacing at the other end. the springs are amazing, so progressive my fork is very soft but it ramps up nicely and is very hard too bottem.

ChrisRobin

Turbo Monkey
Jan 30, 2002
Vancouver
atb said:
right now in my boxxer im runing a set of springs that came out of a 1970's honda motercycle fork, there progressive, wide spacing bettwen the coils at one end and tight spacing at the other end. the springs are amazing, so progressive my fork is very soft but it ramps up nicely and is very hard too bottem.
Hmmm...that's interesting...

But they're probably heavier right?

atb

Monkey
Jun 18, 2004
the north shore
ChrisRobin said:
Hmmm...that's interesting...

But they're probably heavier right?

there a lighter spring rate then the stock med springs, the fork that thay came from had air assist. i havent had a chance to put them on a scale yet but thay feel lighter in weight comparied too the yellow med boxxers springs too.

odiwik

Monkey
Mar 2, 2004
If you cut your springs down, make sure they aren't progressive... I would still recommend against cutting them.. You will completely alter the way they perform.

vitox

Turbo Monkey
Sep 23, 2001
Santiago du Chili
Juano said:
Hey do you guys know where I can get a 35lb spring? I want to run a one sided spring set up.

try with sherman springs, youll need a blowtorch, pliers, and a dremel too.

firefly firm is sorta the hot ticket.

vitox

Turbo Monkey
Sep 23, 2001
Santiago du Chili
odiwik said:
If you cut your springs down, make sure they aren't progressive... I would still recommend against cutting them.. You will completely alter the way they perform.

boxxer springs are linear, not so with pike or any other uturn spring.

vitox

Turbo Monkey
Sep 23, 2001
Santiago du Chili
manwithgun said:
Yo vitox, does "yeah there should be," mean "yes it will coil bind," or "yes, it should be fine"? Sorry I'm easily confused... I think yer saying that the 04 spring and spacer will stack up 6mm before the fork is done traveling. No good. How about 04 spring/05 spacer. 05 spacer is 14mm shorter. Thanks again Old Wise One. :thumb:

option a)
coil bind (if you have no choice you can cure that with a bit extra oil.

vitox

Turbo Monkey
Sep 23, 2001
Santiago du Chili
clancy98 said:
hehe... its true though, get a digi (for whatever reason ;) ) and you will end up weighing pretty much every stupid insignificant part on your bike within a week. It's fun. :p

make that a year and a half in my case.

stgil888

Monkey
Jun 16, 2004
Malibu, CA
If the newer Boxxer springs fit the old ones with minor modifications, does that mean that the new Ti Boxxer WC springs fit older Boxxers? If those are available outside the '05-'06 WC's, I think they'd be a good way to shave some more weight.