Quantcast

Elastomers?

DirtEveryDay

Turbo Monkey
Nov 24, 2003
Pacific North Wet
Can;t remember where, but someone(I'm thinkin it was Dexter...) mentioned something about elastomers in some thread. And while I feel like I should also be considering some Carbon fiber bar ends and a two foot seatpost, it got me wonderin... I've got such stiff springs in my slammed Z1 Sport and all that oil is heavy, could I swap it all out for some slastomers? Could save a few pounds I bet. Would the seals get pissed? It IS 1 in the AM and I DO have to work in 3 hours and my eye is still jacked up and watering from my helmet buckle, but would this work? Pros Cons? Where to buy if I'm NOT a dumbass?

dexter

Turbo Monkey
Sep 23, 2001
Boise, Idaho
hmm i dont know about that.... i used to have a few really old manitous that had them in there that i swapped out for stiffer and shorter ones that essentailly locked it out. loved it. talk to the eveil genious brad about this idea, im thinking it wont work but i could be wrong as i usually am

Nov 5, 2004
hartlepool, uk
just remember, if you do go for elastomers, its gonna be ok in the summer,
but if it gets cold where you live, you'll be on rigids,
try getting hold of a pair of old rst's as a tester before you do anything too rash...

Bicyclist

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2004
SB
Yeah, you'll basically have no adjustments and the damping will suck. However, that's not too important on a street bike anyways. I say rig it up.

DirtEveryDay

Turbo Monkey
Nov 24, 2003
Pacific North Wet
Can't really notice a plush ride with 65mm travel anyways. Granted it's not fully dialed in, but right now it's stiff on the street, can nose pick just fine, but can still bottom it out on the bigger hits. That's nothing lighter elastomers can't do. Besides, compared to the 66 RC2X on my SX, nothing will feel as plush!
That and the 20" boys seem to do just fine with fairly stiff forks...

DirtEveryDay

Turbo Monkey
Nov 24, 2003
Pacific North Wet
You could probably convert your Marzocchi to all air much easier....
I pondered that when I first dropped the Z1, but don't know what else it takes. I don't think the seals would take it for long as is...
Dex you used 4X lowers didn't you? Why, what's the diff? Or is it top secret stuff??? :pirate2:

dexter

Turbo Monkey
Sep 23, 2001
Boise, Idaho
well i have one that is all 4x that had the dual air but i wanted it stiffer so we put in an old boxxer spring hats progressive as hell. on the other fork, the black one, it is 4x uppers and internals with z1 lowers. it wa originally going to go on one of brads bikes but i talked him into giving it to me since it looks and rides so amazingly well on my secret agent (thanks again big guy) yea i forgot that about the elastomers... cold=locked out