Her: why don't you have some tea?

Me: No I want coffee

Her: why don't you want tea?

Me I drink coffee in the morning nd I don't want tea

Her: but why not?

Me. I said no.

and that set her off

is it time to go to work yet?
you missed a perfect opportunity to go on a historical rant about how the british built their empire of colonization and oppression through the use of tea and that you refuse to be a tool for the crown

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
Morning Monkeys.

Got most of the stuff out of the main rooms of the FIL's house. The garage is still to do and the back yard. There are at least 50 news paper vending machines in the back yard and at least that many in one of the 3 storage units.

He had a paper side gig until around '95 I think, then called it a day and brought everything home and what didn't fit here, went to storage. Paying monthly to store old news paper machines since the mid 90's. Not sure what we will get for scrap but there are a lot of them.

Rumor is there is still change in some of them. The downside is there seems to be a wasps gathered in the ones out back. At least with the cold they should be mostly dormant, but it also sounds like they are well established.

I am cleaning my garage when I get home, holy fuck.

Adventurous

Starshine Bro
Mar 19, 2014
Crawlorado
Morning Monkeys.

Got most of the stuff out of the main rooms of the FIL's house. The garage is still to do and the back yard. There are at least 50 news paper vending machines in the back yard and at least that many in one of the 3 storage units.

He had a paper side gig until around '95 I think, then called it a day and brought everything home and what didn't fit here, went to storage. Paying monthly to store old news paper machines since the mid 90's. Not sure what we will get for scrap but there are a lot of them.

Rumor is there is still change in some of them. The downside is there seems to be a wasps gathered in the ones out back. At least with the cold they should be mostly dormant, but it also sounds like they are well established.

Ugh, that blows. My mom just finished offloading my grandparents house. Grandpa kept every box from stuff he bought since they inhabited that house in the 80s. Had probably 200 gallons of paint, oil, and other chemicals that had to be dealt with.

Hoping my mom takes the hint and goes through some of her piles. She's not as bad, but certainly has all kinds of stuff hanging around that I'd rather not have to deal with when that time comes, hopefully 20 years from now.

stoney

Part of the unwashed, middle-American horde
Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
ARRRRRRGGGGHHH

I think I will make another espresso

Her: why don't you have some tea?

Me: No I want coffee

Her: why don't you want tea?

Me I drink coffee in the morning nd I don't want tea

Her: but why not?

Me. I said no.

and that set her off

is it time to go to work yet?

stoney

Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
Ugh, that blows. My mom just finished offloading my grandparents house. Grandpa kept every box from stuff he bought since they inhabited that house in the 80s. Had probably 200 gallons of paint, oil, and other chemicals that had to be dealt with.

Hoping my mom takes the hint and goes through some of her piles. She's not as bad, but certainly has all kinds of stuff hanging around that I'd rather not have to deal with when that time comes, hopefully 20 years from now.
Wifey's mom just took all of her parents stuff and shoved a 3br house into an overloaded 2br condo and adtl storage units.

Wingnut

Turbo Monkey
Nov 12, 2003
Sorry, I'm Canadian ..sorry...
Morning.

Best of luck down there, Definitely case of the best of the worst, which seems like the way elections go these days, same here.

Yesterday was chaos, right down to having my undies on inside out all day and not getting to think about it until beer-thirty....

mykel

closer to Periwinkle
Apr 19, 2013
sw ontario canada
Still alive.
Weather this week is looking very fine.
Elbow did fine with some easy slow trails.
Pretty sore afterword, but some post ride ice and stretching and no worse for wear the next day. Progress is very slow but steady.
Maybe a ride today, but definitely tomorrow.

@Sandwich Just finished some retail therapy on R2-Bike. Zee Germans have some incredible pricing - at least for the stuff I ordered. I did a quick check - Your MT Trail Sports are 150 USD.

Remember, pricing shown is with VAT, login, or change your location to see the export price with VAT removed.

jimmydean

Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR

Yeah, there are stacks of unopened shit. I opened a box from QVC that had a laser radar detector in it. He's never even gotten a ticket. Untold amounts of Tony Robbins, Sell Real Estate in your spare time, E Word Myth books, Suzie Orman box sets, Dave Ramsey, Trump: Think like a Billionaire. 2 rooms hadn't been entered in at least 10 years by a human.

The house might be salvageable, but he took out a mortgage a few years ago with $125k still owed. The roof has leaked around the fireplace in the middle of the house and soaked through, so there are at least 2-3 trusses that will need to be replaced along with the roof. Was told there was black mold in the back utility bathroom from decades ago, so that would need to be addressed.

Zillow says $325k, so if you could rehab for $150k or tear down and build fresh, but the neighborhood would look weird with a new house in it.

stoney

Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
Yeah, there are stacks of unopened shit. I opened a box from QVC that had a laser radar detector in it. He's never even gotten a ticket. Untold amounts of Tony Robbins, Sell Real Estate in your spare time, E Word Myth books, Suzie Orman box sets, Dave Ramsey, Trump: Think like a Billionaire. 2 rooms hadn't been entered in at least 10 years by a human.

The house might be salvageable, but he took out a mortgage a few years ago with $125k still owed. The roof has leaked around the fireplace in the middle of the house and soaked through, so there are at least 2-3 trusses that will need to be replaced along with the roof. Was told there was black mold in the back utility bathroom from decades ago, so that would need to be addressed.

Zillow says $325k, so if you could rehab for $150k or tear down and build fresh, but the neighborhood would look weird with a new house in it.
Don't forget, you are not responsible for a deceased's debt. The estate gets what is left. If market for the damaged house is $250k and debt is $125k, sometimes it's worth just selling it and moving on. Otherwise the beneficiary has to pay off the debt to get ownership then pay to fix the house. That is a long payoff time for a very large investment.

CBJ

year old fart
Mar 19, 2002
Copenhagen, Denmark
Great weather today and I managed to do a ride mid day as its too dark to ride before and after work and I am not sold on going back to the gym and pick up some free covi. Legs really felt like it was spring today as I have not been riding as much as earlier in the season. Hope to get back to more regular riding. Watching the election from Euro land for the first time in many years feels strange but kind of nice too.

jimmydean

Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
Don't forget, you are not responsible for a deceased's debt. The estate gets what is left. If market for the damaged house is $250k and debt is $125k, sometimes it's worth just selling it and moving on. Otherwise the beneficiary has to pay off the debt to get ownership then pay to fix the house. That is a long payoff time for a very large investment.
At this point we are just getting the bulk of shit out, saving what little can be saved and will either sell it as is or just walk. I would have walked from the start, but this was grandpa's house originally, so the memories run deep.

jimmydean

Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
The baby sister has been the biggest challenge. She was closest to dad and has rented her own storage unit that she is putting a TON of his shit into until she can "go through it", kinda like he was going to at some point.

At least we have about 3 coffee cans full of change, about 1/3 of it is Canadian and another whole can of just coin slugs. I think my US Bank branch has a coin counter. :rofl:

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
My understanding is that could be dependent on the state the deceased lived in?
true. however, generally speaking the estate will resolve any outstanding debt, if there's anything ($$$) leftover after debts are settled it will go to next of kin / beneficiaries. however if the debt is greater than the value of the estate, the estate will pay itself to cover debts, and the debt will not go to next of kin / beneficiaries and is erased.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle

Sounds like a high risk of an 'electrical fire', would be a shame considering how many 'valuable antiques' are inside.

Last edited:

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
Still alive.
Weather this week is looking very fine.
Elbow did fine with some easy slow trails.
Pretty sore afterword, but some post ride ice and stretching and no worse for wear the next day. Progress is very slow but steady.
Maybe a ride today, but definitely tomorrow.

@Sandwich Just finished some retail therapy on R2-Bike. Zee Germans have some incredible pricing - at least for the stuff I ordered. I did a quick check - Your MT Trail Sports are 150 USD.

Remember, pricing shown is with VAT, login, or change your location to see the export price with VAT removed.
Thanks for the tip. Seems everybody but the US has wicked pricing...I don't get it. Merlin, CRC, R2, bike-discount, stabike, etc all have great prices, but the best I've found is actually through amazon, via amazon UK. $179 shipped with tax beats R2 by a couple bucks, but I get amazon's return policy. I just need to make up my mind to pull the trigger, as I can probably get my XTs to work better with another bleed, but I spent a lot of time trying to get them to work right earlier this year.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
Thanks for the tip. Seems everybody but the US has wicked pricing...I don't get it. Merlin, CRC, R2, bike-discount, stabike, etc all have great prices, but the best I've found is actually through amazon, via amazon UK. $179 shipped with tax beats R2 by a couple bucks, but I get amazon's return policy. I just need to make up my mind to pull the trigger, as I can probably get my XTs to work better with another bleed, but I spent a lot of time trying to get them to work right earlier this year.

eric strt6

Resident Curmudgeon
Sep 8, 2001
directly above the center of the earth
Doing a drop off at The dialysis center at Bafaire mall in San Leandro. The mall was looted and the dialysis center vandalized during the BLM protests. There are construction crews here preemptively boarding up the mall prior to the polls closing. How did we come to this shit.... Fucking Trump and the GOP

Adventurous

Starshine Bro
Mar 19, 2014
Crawlorado
They newish XTs? I had to bleed mine recently and despite the instructions being unnecessarily complicated, the process was actually quite easy. Now they are killer.

Might be worth another attempt at a bleed before throwing in the towel.

mykel

closer to Periwinkle
Apr 19, 2013
sw ontario canada
The biggest problem now with buying out of Europe, is the embargo by SRAM and Shimano.
Instead of sorting out their NA distributors ass raping us, they just prevent the European stores from selling to us.

6 months before the embargo I bought a pair of XTR Trail pedals out of Germany for 125.00 cdn, and the best I could find in Canada was 229.00. The US price by the time getting to Canada was within a couple of dollars of the Canadian price.

Same for my Hayes Dominion A4's. I bought Brakes, Rotors and Adapters shipped for cheaper than the dealer cost for just the brakes alone in the US.

stoney

Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
true. however, generally speaking the estate will resolve any outstanding debt, if there's anything ($$$) leftover after debts are settled it will go to next of kin / beneficiaries. however if the debt is greater than the value of the estate, the estate will pay itself to cover debts, and the debt will not go to next of kin / beneficiaries and is erased.
This. If nobody is taking anything out of the estate and you're letting the estate settle itself, you can usually walk away clear of debt, but also with nothing from the estate.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
They newish XTs? I had to bleed mine recently and despite the instructions being unnecessarily complicated, the process was actually quite easy. Now they are killer.

Might be worth another attempt at a bleed before throwing in the towel.
M785s, so yeah. I've bled plenty of shimanos but these have had a wandering bite point since I've owned them. They do not have a lot of miles and have not been abused, but still here we are. I'm not in love with the lack of modulation either, but neither of these are reasons to buy a whole new set of brakes...just retail therapy i guess.

boostindoubles

Nacho Libre
Mar 16, 2004
Yakistan
Morning Monkeys.

Change is not flammable but wasps are.